News:

This website's purpose is to share information with clipper owners and others who are interested in clippers or have old Dodge B300 chassis motorhomes.  In an attempt to share as much information as possible to as many people as possible PLEASE first post your questions in one of the forum boards rather than sending a PM to the webmaster or another member. This will allow other members to find information that may help solve their problem.  By PMing your questions, you decrease forum activity and create more work for active members who end up repeating information to individuals looking for the same information.  Thank you.

Main Menu

New Gas Tank Sending Unit

Started by VulcanOne, October 25, 2005, 08:55:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

VulcanOne

My fuel level gauge quit working a few weeks ago so I decided to fix it.  First I grounded the wire from the sending unit going to the gauge and the gauge went to full.  So, I knew it was the sending unit.  I took out the sending unit after dropping the tank (make sure to drain it first) and tested the unit.  No continuity through it at all.  So I started a search for a replacement.  I found a few sending units at junkyards around the U.S. out of Dodge trucks and vans around 1979.  They were very expensive with no guarantee that they would work right, $80 to $120 plus shipping.  So I found a supposed universal replacement on the J.C. Whitney site for only $17.99.  Well, I ordered it, tested it for the correct resistance, hooked it up to the gauge wire and ground and it worked.  

Now installing it, a real pain in the butt.  You have to take the new unit apart and adapt it to your pick-up plate.  A lot of bending, twisting, soldering, etc. to put it together.  Mainly because it has to fit through the small hole to put back into the tank.  Make sure to keep in mind that the float has to extend towards the front part of the tank.  Anyway, if anybody wants to tackle this the web address for the sending unit is below and the part number is ZX128525U.  Good luck.

http://www.jcwhitney.com/autoparts/Product/tf-VehicleBrowse/s-10101/Pr-p_Product.CATENTRY_ID:2005714/showCustom-0/p-2005714/N-200729527+111+1979+600002070/c-10101

bigray

Charlie,

I hear ya on the draining part. I droped my tank to change the rubber hoses. When I droped it there was about 9 gallons in it. Oh my Goodness. I had to drag the tank from underneath and them poor the gas in a 5 gallon bucket (okay.. somebody should ask what about the remaining 4 gallons. Glad you asked). I had to take the first pour and put it in my car which was nearly full.

Talk about a real pain. Please....please drain the tank first before dropping the tank!

VulcanOne

Quote from: "bigray"Charlie,

I hear ya on the draining part. I droped my tank to change the rubber hoses. When I droped it there was about 9 gallons in it. Oh my Goodness. I had to drag the tank from underneath and them poor the gas in a 5 gallon bucket (okay.. somebody should ask what about the remaining 4 gallons. Glad you asked). I had to take the first pour and put it in my car which was nearly full.

Talk about a real pain. Please....please drain the tank first before dropping the tank!

BigRay,

It was a good thing I did, I wasn't sure how much was in there but I didn't think it was much.  Turned out to be about 30 gallons.  Ended up filling my van and boat and still had 15 gallons to put back in the motorhome.  I'd of been in deep trouble if I had dropped it with out draining first.  The steel 55 gallon is heavy enough.

Charlie