News:

The club is no longer active.  The forum will continue to be available for folks to find information and ask for help.
The tech forums are now open to all.  Other vintage Dodge-based class C owners welcome.

Main Menu

Fresh water tank heads up.......

Started by Horst, October 23, 2005, 04:34:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Horst

Applies to those with fresh water tank behind driver's seat, with a drain valve that goes through the floor (may apply to others with drain valve as well)

I had not inspected my fresh water tank in a while.........shame on me.
Was getting the Clipper ready for a weekend outing last thursday - went and filled gas to top, filled water tank, started packing it up..............noticed water running out of the fresh water compartment (dinette seat compartment behind driver's seat) out to the ground outside the Clipper.
"boo hoo!" I said to myself (actually something much more profane)

Anyways, apparently sometime my fresh water tank shifted just enough to stress the drain valve, which cracked...........I was quite bummed out......but then noticed that my "breather" valve on the top of the tank was the same!
Swapped the two valves and all is well (the breather valve can have a crack - heh!)
Then reinforced the supports so the tank won't shift anymore on unexpected bumps, etc.
If you have a drain valve - you might want to look at how it is positioned in your compartment, and stablized your tank if needed.
Horst
ACOC  #2961
'75 Clipper 821F, Dodge 360........sold it in 2015.......now running a Ford F-250 towing a 2008 Layton trailer.

tomfridley

horst,quite the same situation for me also.
i noticed the driveway never seemed to dry out on the left side under where the fresh water tank is even after a few days of warm weather.
i pulled the dining seat to expose the tank and found the 90 degree fitting coming out of the tank to the drain valve was brittle and had a small crack in it.
fortunatly, the water went out through the hole where the drain hose exited the floor instead of flooding the inside of the clipper and carpet.
also,fortunate enough there was a good deal of the 90 degree fitting left to attach a new hose and replaced the drain valve also.
my water tank had not shifted from its position as yours did, but failed from fatigue and old age i guess.
sharing ideas like yours is just what this web site is all about!

bigray