News:

The club is no longer active.  The forum will continue to be available for folks to find information and ask for help.
The tech forums are now open to all.  Other vintage Dodge-based class C owners welcome.

Main Menu

Fuel tank venting heads-up

Started by Andy Illes, October 22, 2005, 07:15:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Andy Illes

While tapping my fingers waiting to see where Wilma's gonna go... been messing with Fred, and realized something I oughtta pass along.

Those who follow these threads may remember I plugged my charcoal canister vent line from the tank last summer to avoid spilled fuel, before finding the kinked vent hose to the filler.  Since then, been noticing a "whoosh" soon's I loosen the gas cap but didn't pay attention.  Also a gas smell after I shut down... didn't pay any attention to that either.

Until just now.

Guess what?!  With the charcoal canister circuit plugged off, air expansion in the tank had nowhere to go, but to keep constant fuel pressure against the carb's float-valve... slowly flooding poor Fred.  NOT good for cylinder walls!!!!!!!!!

I just unplugged that line and tied it high up until I find a replacement charcoal canister next junkyard visit.  

Bottom line.... do NOT plug-off the charcoal canister hose.... or at least find another way to allow the tank to vent.

Conrad

What kind of cap do you have?

Andy Illes

Not sure what your question is exactly, Conrad..... just a regular gas cap, that obviously doesn't have a vent, huh?  If there's a vented cap around, I'd sure love a part number until I find a new charcoal canister.

And btw... depending on the fuel level in the tank and temp etature, the "whoosing" will go either way.   Could some of the reported long cranking problems be caused by the gas tank gasses contracting.... sucking fuel down from the carb?  Just a thought.

bigray

That's why you stop getting 13 mpg!!! :shock:  :oops: