News:

This website's purpose is to share information with clipper owners and others who are interested in clippers or have old Dodge B300 chassis motorhomes.  In an attempt to share as much information as possible to as many people as possible PLEASE first post your questions in one of the forum boards rather than sending a PM to the webmaster or another member. This will allow other members to find information that may help solve their problem.  By PMing your questions, you decrease forum activity and create more work for active members who end up repeating information to individuals looking for the same information.  Thank you.

Main Menu

Hitch-Mounted Generator

Started by bigray, October 19, 2005, 11:00:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bigray

I was contemplating mounting my generator on a hitch mounted platform on the rear of my clipper. The genny is about 200 lbs. Anyone forsee any problems with that.

Seems as if 200 lbs would change the drivability only slightly!

Rodney

Hi Big Ray long time no see :)
IMO I would say that is a lot of dead weight hanging off the back of the already tail heavy clipper frame work back there. But I am thinking you said in an earlier post that you had the frame area beefed up?
Why not use the compartment on the right side for your Generator?
Rodney

bigray

I've been lurking just not posting much. Been a bit busy. I've been meaning to post on the oily rag but haven't yet.

At any rate, I have my generator in the side compartment right now. Problem is I have a travel trailer too and didn't want to buy another generator.

Instead, I figured I kill several birds with one stone. I've always had a problem with the risk of the propane lines being routed right in front of rear wheels.  I run my frig while driving and the thought of a blowout or a drive shaft seperating and rupturing the propane line is always running thru my mind.

My thoughts are to remove the large propane tank from the driver's side and mount two or perhaps two small bottles in the existing passenger side compartment. That way, the propane lines don't cross my driveshaft and can be routed clear of "blowout range".

Of course, that would require me to remove the generator. Given I'd like to use it for my Clipper and Travel trailer I figured I make it hitch mounted so that I can transfer it back and forth between toys depending on which one I was using.

Plus, I have a 36 (yeah right.......30 more like it) gas tank and need a bigger one. I figured I'd mount a 20 gallon tank in the place where the propane tank was and use it an auxillary. I could use a small electric pump to move it from the auxillary to the filler of the existing tank.

Yeah....yeah.....I know......... seems like alot of modification, Right. Notice above I said my "thoughts are". I need to talk to my fab guy to see how much this will cost. Might be worth it just to get another generator.

I have to put a mounth on my trailer and modify the one on my clipper. The overhang on my clipper is beefed up but I don't trust it. I'd have the fab guy to stregnthen it!