News:

The club is no longer active.  The forum will continue to be available for folks to find information and ask for help.
The tech forums are now open to all.  Other vintage Dodge-based class C owners welcome.

Main Menu

Replacing window lock & upper seal on the Coach.

Started by Rodney, September 05, 2005, 04:15:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rodney

I am finally getting around to replacing the old weathered gray lock and upper seals on the windows of the coach. I chose to use the white color rather than the original gray.

It was easy enough to get the old out, I just carefully poked and ice pick under the end so I could get ahold of it with a pair of pliers.
Cleaned the channel and I found that if I very carefully pried the channel to make the groove a little wider for the new lock. The glass in some places is right up against the alumunum so I didn't work that area. When working around glass you need to take extra care not to break the stuff.
The new lock pushed right in with my thumb.

after I got the lock in place and trimmed I went back around the outside edge of the channel and with my body hammer tapped it evenly to tighten the lock seal to the window. Don't know if this is how this was done the first time but worked for me.
I struggled at first trying soap and different tools to get the lock in the track but it was just to hard but with just a little more room by prying the gap a little wider made it easy to push in with my thumb.

For the upper drip seal I cut to fit and used weather strip adhesive to glue it to the channel.
I then went around and with some white caulk filled the seams on the lock strip.

Done!! :D  took about 4 hours.

BFN
Rodney

Andy Illes

Thanks loads Rodney... that one's on my "Definitely gotta do" list too.  Bet it looks great.  Question.... where did you get the new "lock" stuff, exactly what's it called, and how much?

Other similar stuff I'd like to replace are the vertical seal strips between the coach and cab - mine are covered with black spots I can NOT get off, no matter what - and all the weather strips around the driver/passenger door windows.

Anybody have tips on those jobs?  Where to get the stuff?

'76 rear-kitchen

bigray

I replaced mine a year or so ago. I replaced it with black. Given the way that stuff shrinks, I wanted to add a little excess. To do that I used  windshield silicon and applied it to the bead and the window surface. I did not cut the bead to size before hand.

Instead I mounted one end (without cutting the 45 degree angle) and as I mounted the tail end I push it compact toward the head. By having the silicone on it, mounting and moving it was easy.  I used a box cutter to cut the angles at the end. I didn't have to use silicone in the corners as it appeared originally. I got it nice and tight.

Good luck!

Rodney

Hi Andy,
I was looking at my seal from the body to the coach and wondering what a nightmare that piece would be to replace. I would guess it was installed before the coach was being placed in the chassis. If your seal is still doing the job of sealing and is not weathered beyond repair I would paint it with some trim / molding paint like marhyde, they have several colors to choose from.
The window lock is available from the club but I see only black and I don't see the upper seal at all. I contacted Hehr window products and bought from them. it was less than 75.00$ if I recall and they sent me a sample to make sure I was getting the right pieces.
http://www.hehr-international.com/contacts.htm
The cab weather strips I hope are still available from Dodge. I need to replace mine as well after my paint job. If not there should be some aftermarket pieces to be had but I would stick with OEM if at all possible.

The new glass glazing bead does look very nice, glad I got that job done before the weather got cooler. The lock works much better when warm. I had a few kinks in the larger upper pieces so took them in the house and left them in the sink with hot water for a few minutes to relax the material.
Rodney

bigray

I ordered mine from Herh too. They carry the seal that's over the window as well. The lady faxed me some drawing of it in order to confirm I was getting right thing!

I'll try to find my part numbers but I thought I gave them to someone else already!

Rodney

Yes Ray is right. to keep the stuff from pulling I applied a little sealer to the ends and when you are installing the lock don't pull or stretch it.. let it lay in the channel naturally. We had a guy years ago doing our stripping on the autos we fixed, he would pull that plastic stripe tape to tight to get more out of the roll of tape {he was cheep} in a few months the cars would come back the stripes shorter that the were when they left. We had to redo a lot of his work because of this..  BTW silicone is one way to go but you won't find it around here, it's a painters nightmare :( I used a product called the big stretch its a house hold caulk that will move and stay flexible it's a good product IMHO.

Rodney

the Indiana Plant.
574-935-5122  is the number I used
I will see if I can find the part numbers.
Rodney

milliraye

:lol:  :idea:  Wow  :!:  
Thank you, for the frame by frame!
I got injured on my job 6 months ago (Rotary cuff tear)
and have a lot of catching up to do.
Your Clipper is "Looking Good"!
My poor "Ol' Billy Bob" wants to know
if he can come over to your house to play!
:wink:  
:lol:

Rodney

Quote from: "milliraye":lol:  :idea:  Wow  :!:  
Thank you, for the frame by frame!
I got injured on my job 6 months ago (Rotary cuff tear)
and have a lot of catching up to do.
Your Clipper is "Looking Good"!
My poor "Ol' Billy Bob" wants to know
if he can come over to your house to play!
:wink:  
:lol:
of course you can but only if my dogs like you.
take care of that injury.
I enjoy sharing what I have learned and learning from others here on ACOC
see ya

milliraye

Animal's LOVE me!
And both of my "Big Girls" are always good to go!
They're my "To Go Girls"
And always ready for a good bye-bye,
Especially in Ol' Billy,
Can't even start him up without their
anticipation!
I have been known to let them "come on in"
and then take them around the corner to the beach! LOL
They DO know the difference!
P.S. Thanks also for "Photobucket info"
[/img]