News:

This website's purpose is to share information with clipper owners and others who are interested in clippers or have old Dodge B300 chassis motorhomes.  In an attempt to share as much information as possible to as many people as possible PLEASE first post your questions in one of the forum boards rather than sending a PM to the webmaster or another member. This will allow other members to find information that may help solve their problem.  By PMing your questions, you decrease forum activity and create more work for active members who end up repeating information to individuals looking for the same information.  Thank you.

Main Menu

Fuel Guage and Full scale reading

Started by Conrad, September 04, 2005, 03:15:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Conrad

I recently added an electric fuel pump to my rig back near the gas tank. While under there, I re-terminated the ground lead from my fuel sending unit.  I made sure that all was clean (no corrosion) and cleand the frame where I screwed in the ground lead.  Made a difference in my full tank readings.  Now my guage goes way past the F mark.  Before it would just go to the mark.

My guess is that the added electrical resistance due to the corrosion I found made for erroneous readings.  

I always gassed up when below 1/4 tank.  Now I can go farther before re-filling.  btw $2.65 at Costco today.

Rodney

Which tank to you have Conrad?
Are you planning on running the electric pump all of the time or?
Which pump did you use?
I am considering doing the same but not sure which way to go.
Rodney

Conrad

I have the 35 gallon tank.

I installed a SPST switch on my dash next to the cig lighter.  I can hear it running when switched on.  I only run it prior to start up then shut it off.  Makes for a much faster start and not buring up my starter :)

The pump is rated for motorhome, I think.  There were two types when I looked in the store.    I will have to get under and check the label to be sure.

I mounted it on the transverse frame member just aft of the tank near the sending unit.  The transverse member is not the same guage as the chassis rails.  It is a thinner guage metal.  

I replaced my hoses and clamps at the same time.  I found that the ring clamps work pretty good (the kind that you squeeze to expand, single or double wire).  They don't crush the hose like the hose clamps do.  I have found that the hose clamps seem more appropriate for larger diameter hoses, 1" or more.

Rodney

That was one reason I was considering an electic pump {hard starting} but after I replaced the old thermoquad with and Edelbrock, the ol' 440 starts on the first kick  :D  .
When I do use hose clamps for fuel I like the spring type as well.. they don't work loose and always has tension on the hose. BUT any time I can I plumb with steel line and fittings then, it's done for good.
Rodney.