News:

This website's purpose is to share information with clipper owners and others who are interested in clippers or have old Dodge B300 chassis motorhomes.  In an attempt to share as much information as possible to as many people as possible PLEASE first post your questions in one of the forum boards rather than sending a PM to the webmaster or another member. This will allow other members to find information that may help solve their problem.  By PMing your questions, you decrease forum activity and create more work for active members who end up repeating information to individuals looking for the same information.  Thank you.

Main Menu

Transmission oil ?

Started by Den, August 03, 2003, 01:42:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Den

Curious if anyone has changed over to syntheic transmission oil ? If so how many quarts do this old transmissions hold (engine is a 440). I would imagine just change the old with new ? Nothing fancy needed ?

Thanks db

handyman

Don't even think about it keep the same oil that always has been used in it the seals are old and putting a different oil in it is just asking for a bunch of problems, change the oil regularly and make sure you have a extra trans cooler besides the one in the radeator

Charlie

I agree with Jim as far as NOT using synthetic oil, if you do any little leak you have now would be five times worse after.  Try using the Valvaline High Mileage Dextron fluid, it is made for vehicles such as ours.  I ordered an extra capacity pan with a drain plug from Summit Racing for $30.00, installed the largest trans cooler with copper tubing I could find ($55 from JCWhitney), bypassed the cooler in the radiator, adjusted the bands and kick down, put in the Valvaline High Mileage Dextron and it runs and shifts perfect.  Quiet too.  Also, if you haven't ever changed a trans pan gasket before, do NOT use any type of gasket sealer, gasket cinch or anything else on the gasket.  Make sure the metal surfaces are clean and dry as possible, I rub them off with fast drying electric cleaner.  Torque the bolts to no more than 100 INCH pounds, not 150 like the book says.  Torque to 80 than again at 100.  If you use a cork gasket and torque the bolts more than 100 inch pounds you will cut and or squeeze out the gasket and have a leak.  Good Luck

Den

Thanks guys. Old oil stays. I do have an aftermarket trans cooler it helped alot. I think I just got sucked into the syntheic stuff saying 20-50 cooler.  

Plante

If you were having the tranny overhauled synthetic oil would be great - but the guys are right.  Changing now would probably cause leaks all over the place.  I can't get my pan to quit leaking so I ordered a new extra-capacity one from Summit Racing   -   thanks Charlie.

Horst

Also, remember, unless you have the skills AND proper tools, simply dropping the tranny pan does not remove all the oil in the trans. Thus "draining" the oil in that manner, and then adding a different oil, owld result in the mixture of old dino oil and new synth - not the greatest set-up.
Horst
ACOC  #2961
'75 Clipper 821F, Dodge 360........sold it in 2015.......now running a Ford F-250 towing a 2008 Layton trailer.

Charlie

Horst is right about that, especially after 1977 when they stopped installing a drain plug on the converter.  But, if you get the extra capacity pan from Summit racing it has a drain plug installed on it.  This makes it much easier and a cleaner job to drain, especially when you are doing it in the driveway.  I installled a new filter, the new pan, clean fluid, drove it on a short 30 mile trip and then drained it again and put in some more fresh fluid.  I did this because I don't think it had been changed in years.

davecar54

I pulled up the summit racing web page today to order the extra capacity pan with drain plug, & the price was over 45.00 not 30.00. Has the price increased that much or am I not looking at the right pan?
Any help will be appreciated.
Thanks
Dave & Carol Smith

Charlie

You are right, the price is $45 on the website. I pulled my receipt and when I ordered mine I had a coupon discount and I paid $36.  In my opinion it is still worth it, especially if you are doing it yourself.  If you go to a tranny shop it would cost at least $90 just to have them change your fluid, filter and gasket.  Sorry for the wrong info.

Plante

Ordered my extra-capacity pan on 8-7 and it's still on back order.