News:

The club is no longer active.  The forum will continue to be available for folks to find information and ask for help.
The tech forums are now open to all.  Other vintage Dodge-based class C owners welcome.

Main Menu

Clipper died

Started by a&kgildroy, August 03, 2003, 12:14:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

a&kgildroy

After purchasing a 1977 21' Clipper, we were going to drive up to our sons home.  Drove about 8 miles and it died.  Not being able to get it started again, we had it towed in to a Dodge dealer and they have had it two weeks and we hoe to get it tomorrow.  Has anyone else had this problem and/or any suggestions.  Almost everything is new.  Thanks for your help.

Horst

We need more information on "how" it died.
Suddenly while you were driving? Slowly losing power then dying? Does it crank when you try to start it?
It could be caused by MANY things, generally divided into fuel and electrical issues.
Could be:
1) Bad ECU
2) Bad coil
3) Bad ballast resistor
4) Fuel pump or filter, or line, or carb
5) Wiring issue (starter, relay, ??)
6) etc, etc,

Two weeks is a long time for a Dodge dealer to have it - hope they don't bamboozle you.
Horst
ACOC  #2961
'75 Clipper 821F, Dodge 360........sold it in 2015.......now running a Ford F-250 towing a 2008 Layton trailer.

Charlie

Another over looked cause for this problem especially when traveling is fuel starvation, caused by the fuel filter plugging up.  It has happened to me years ago and I have known of it happening to others from fueling at a station right after or during when their tanks are being filled.  Old under ground tanks accumulate sentiment and this is stirred up when they have a fuel drop from a tanker.  If you pump your tank full right after or during the dump this sentiment will get into your tank and then will plug up your filter, causing the fuel starvation.  I have seen new filters completely black and weight of 1/4 pound after 50 to 100 miles after filling up.  Watch out for stations out in the country that don't get a lot of traffic, they are the worse for this problem. Also, starvation could be from old cracked fuel lines.  Just something else to think of when your engine quits and won't start.

bullock

We are having a similar problem.  Was driving down the road 3 weeks ago when large backfire out the pipe and the motor died.  But started up again right away.  My husband looked, changed cap, rotor, plug wires and it ran again with no problems.  Then, last week, again large backfire and now we have absolutely no spark.  Engine cranks over but no spark.  Have checked the coil, ballast resistor, ECU unit, all seem fine with voltmeter/ohmeter.  Any suggestions?

Horst

I read somewhere that a ballast resistor may "test" fine - but in the real world of "operating" - it can fail. It's easy enough to swap out, and only costs a few bucks.
I'd stick another one in there, and try again.
If nothing improves, at least you'll have a spare.
Horst
ACOC  #2961
'75 Clipper 821F, Dodge 360........sold it in 2015.......now running a Ford F-250 towing a 2008 Layton trailer.