News:

This website's purpose is to share information with clipper owners and others who are interested in clippers or have old Dodge B300 chassis motorhomes.  In an attempt to share as much information as possible to as many people as possible PLEASE first post your questions in one of the forum boards rather than sending a PM to the webmaster or another member. This will allow other members to find information that may help solve their problem.  By PMing your questions, you decrease forum activity and create more work for active members who end up repeating information to individuals looking for the same information.  Thank you.

Main Menu

Gas Mileage

Started by <Cullar>, August 30, 2002, 04:43:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

<Cullar>

Found a Clipper through the website. Now I'm wondering about gas mileage. Have a 78 440 Dodge and getting anywhere from 6 to 6.5 miles to gallon. Just wondering if this typical and if anyone out there has some tips on better mileage.

cat

Providing the engine is in tune, ie; carb., distributor, plugs etc. and the tires inflated to the right amount, AND it's driven at a reasonable speed, 55/60 m.p.h., it's possible to get 6 to 7 1/2 m.p.g.  Some people have claimed greater m.p.g. but this has not been my experience.

Horst

There is a BIG difference in gas mileage between 55mph and 65mph - in your case (440 Clipper) probably at least one mile per gallon difference.

Slow down, make sure your engine is tuned properly, and you can get closer to 7.5mpg - maybe a bit better.

As noted - some 440 owner's have claimed to get 8 - might be possible, depending on road, wind, how loaded you are, how fast you drive, etc., etc.
Horst
ACOC  #2961
'75 Clipper 821F, Dodge 360........sold it in 2015.......now running a Ford F-250 towing a 2008 Layton trailer.

cdall

quote:
Originally posted by <Cullar>:
Found a Clipper through the website. Now I'm wondering about gas mileage. Have a 78 440 Dodge and getting anywhere from 6 to 6.5 miles to gallon. Just wondering if this typical and if anyone out there has some tips on better mileage.

CanadianClipper

Maiden Voyage....I stayed close by worried about the engine or elctronics going on the fritzs....but to my suprise before leaving I found a vacumm hose off the front of the carb that was disconected and I fiddled with the distributor settings...with this inappropriate setting I got seven miles to the gallon...Canadian...about 5 american I suspect. On the way home I stopped in at my brother in law a registered mech with an eye that seconds as a timing light and a mind that can calculate the slight variance of chain stretch, he tightened everything down snug and adjusted the idle screws and tada 9 miles per gallon Canadian...about 6 to 7.5 US. He use to have a 440 magnum in a beautiful metalic copper charger 1969... He was impressed  and felt the engine was in really sound shape. So all tuned up she seems to be a good deal. My  brother has a similar RV with a 360 and gets less milege per gallon than the clipper. pictures of the maiden voyage will soon be posted on my website http://cndclipper.topcities.com/

Horst

A tired 360, loaded heavily, with an equally tired 2 barrel Carter can easily get  6 mpg, especially when driving too fast.

A nicely tuned, rebuilt 360 Clipper with an RV cam, an Edelbrock 4 barrel carb, Edlebrock intake manifold and air cleaner  -  can get well over 9mpg.

I even got over 10 once on a midnight run to So. Cal - think I had a bit of a tailwind though      
Horst
ACOC  #2961
'75 Clipper 821F, Dodge 360........sold it in 2015.......now running a Ford F-250 towing a 2008 Layton trailer.

Larry Lund

I too have a 78 clipper with a 440.  If I am making a run up the Ca coast cruising at 55-60 I can get up to 7.8mpg. When I take a trip loaded up and go up to the High Sierras, pulling up those hills my mileage suffers to about 5.5-6.0 over all.  My coach seems to be somewhat labor intensive.  There are frequently little things which need repairing.  When I stay on top of it though, it has always been reliable on the road.  The engine always purrs like a kitten.