News:

The club is no longer active.  The forum will continue to be available for folks to find information and ask for help.
The tech forums are now open to all.  Other vintage Dodge-based class C owners welcome.

Main Menu

I have a opportunity to buy a Clipper

Started by Antpage, August 27, 2002, 10:29:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Antpage

I have a opportunity to buy a Clipper, it's a 1979 with 50,000 miles and seems to have been very well kept for $4000. From what I have been reading this sounds like a pretty good deal, is that right? I'm very curious about these clipper's, back when they were retail how much were they compared to other RV's? Were they the Cadillac of RV's? Maybe even the BMW of RV's? Or a RV for the common man?

I am impressed by the fiberglass coach, I don't think I have seen another RV with that kind of coach. It looks very solid secure and tight, unlike other RV's I have seen. The interior seems a little small, but the bathroom has good space, a kitchenet, freezer and fidge, generator and overhead airconditioner, sleeps 4, just about everyting I want, and that magnificent fiberglass! Also I don't want a huge rv, I want to be able to park in a parking space, and I heard that some campgrounds will not allow campers over 24 feet.

I really would like to buy this RV, but the tires are cracked, the suspension seems shot, it vibrates a lot, the air conditioner in the front cab does not work, and the brakes are soft. I'm thinking it will take a lot of money to fix all this stuff. Is this worth it?    

I have taken it to a garage to have them look it over, I will post the results of their findings

Thanks,
Ant

handyman

Well kept 50.000 miles $4000 dollers. you arent driving it yet? if the tires are cracked they are probely the reason it shakes, even not if you have to put a little into the front end and some brake work your still getting a great deal and a great motor home thats way ahead of it's time  

Antpage

I got the estimate back from the mechanic, the back brakes need replacing, airconditioner needs to be charged, all belts needs to be replaced, needs all new tires, all together it's goning to cost 1600 to fix it, with the cost of the RV $5600 all together. Well what do you think? Should I dump it or buy it?

Let me put it this way, If I fixed it then tried to sell it for $5600 or higher would you buy it?

handyman

All the things you listed are normal ware and tear items that have to be done on any car truck or r/v the question is do you like the motor home or not $4000 is a fair price in good condtion, if it needed mach work like engine trans ect I'd say no it's your money so you have to decide how bad you want the unit  

Antpage

Well the deal fell through. We found someone who was willing to do the brakes, tires and transmition service cheaper than the specialized RV mechanic that we took it to. But the air conditioner needed to be converted from the old can system to the new "r34" system, about $300. But the clincher was there was no freon, so he suspected a leak, if the leak was in the compresssor it was going to cost over $2000 dollars to replace it.

It's too bad, that Clipper was just about perfect and you could see it was well built with the best materials. I've decided against buying a RV for the moment, thanks for all the advice, maybe in the future when I can afford it I'll get a newer RV. For now I'm just going to go for one of those keen apache pop-up trailers: http://www.apachepopups.com/

CanadianClipper

cat

This guy passed up what sounds like a pretty good motor home.  This is just typical of buyers looking at a 22 year old motor home and expect it to be like new.  Passing up this buy because of a possible (?) leak in the A/C was a poor choice.  I knew a person who paid for every type of service imaginable for his motor home and then complained that having a motor home is too expensive.  (He sold it at a loss.)  My point is:  If you're planning to buy a used vehicle be prepared for some problems along the way but more importantly get to know how to repair things yourself.  If you have to pay some R.V. mechanic to check every little thing, you're not going to enjoy owning a Clipper.

Horst

Antpage - wait until you start having to work on that Apache! Don't think you won't be pouring money into that - because you will if you're going to use it regularly
Horst
ACOC  #2961
'75 Clipper 821F, Dodge 360........sold it in 2015.......now running a Ford F-250 towing a 2008 Layton trailer.