News:

The club is no longer active.  The forum will continue to be available for folks to find information and ask for help.
The tech forums are now open to all.  Other vintage Dodge-based class C owners welcome.

Main Menu

storage & stuff

Started by <kippur48>, May 26, 2002, 06:08:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

<kippur48>

I'm a new owner of a 1980 Chevy 821SK (and a new member who hasn't got his password for the tech forum yet)... but for now:

1) Has anyone come up with a good plan to access the inaccesible corner space between the stove and the sink on side kitchen models?  I've thought about adding an access door in the seat back of the dinette... or cuttin the counter top out so that you can go down through the top to get at it, but I'm not real sure either of those is the ultimate solution.  Perhaps just getting rid of the lower three drawers in favor of a door would be best?  Any feedback from others who have managed to make good use of this wasted space, would be appreciated.

2) The rear area underneath the coach has some kind of cheap, thick "cardboard-ish" horizontal covering, that is threatening to fall out on the road!  It is warped, rotten, sagging and needs to be re-thought and replaced.  From a cursory reading of older newsletters (I got with the coach), I seem to remember someone suggesting that fiberglassing an aluminum panel in there is the solution.  Is this the ONLY way to effect a proper, permanent repair?  Does marine or exterior grade plywood, glued in with waterproof glue, and screwed in with stainless screws, make sense?

3) The retractable step is coming loose where it bolts to the coach.  (Apparently, not for the first time.) The current "patch" job is pretty lousy. Can anyone tell me the proper way to repair and REINFORCE this set up?  Seems to me that some large diameter "fender" washers would spread the load on the 4 bolts holding step... but  I'm open to suggestions.

4)  We are planning to "full time" in the Clipper in the near future.  Is anyone else out there doing this in an American Clipper?  If so, what tips might you be willing to share on how to manage it? What mods might the Clipper need for short, 3-4 day periods of boondoogling/dry camping?  What are it's strengths and weaknesses for full-timing with two people?  (For instance, does it make sense to remove the generator, in favor of solar panels and some badly needed extra storage?)

I'd sure appreciate hearing from those who know... on ALL these issues and more.  (Can't wait to get to the tech forum!!!)  THANKS!