News:

The club is no longer active.  The forum will continue to be available for folks to find information and ask for help.
The tech forums are now open to all.  Other vintage Dodge-based class C owners welcome.

Main Menu

Noisy Belts

Started by Nel77, May 15, 2002, 09:43:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nel77

I recently purchased a 1977 AC with a Dodge 440 in it. When I picked the rig up the belts were making noise. I wasn't sure which belt was doing the whining so I replaced them all. I still have noise exactly like I did before. Seems to get worse as RPMs increase. Has anyone else had this problem? Any suggestions? Thanks.

egibbons

This is a very common problem. A design defect whereby the belt system is overloaded. Too much load on the belts cause them to slip, glaze the pulley and squeal. Further tightening in an attempt to quiet the belts only serves to shorten the PS and water pump life. The best solution seems to be to replace the Power Steering pump pulley with a dual pulley and than add another belt. Problem solved, and redundancy added. Details, including the pulley part number, can be found in the tech forum. Access is for members only, so think about joining today if you haven't already.
Good Luck!
Eric Gibbons
ACOC# 3021

Nel77

Thanks so much for the advise. I am going to send off my membership application tomorrow. What a great resource.
Thanks again.