News:

This website's purpose is to share information with clipper owners and others who are interested in clippers or have old Dodge B300 chassis motorhomes.  In an attempt to share as much information as possible to as many people as possible PLEASE first post your questions in one of the forum boards rather than sending a PM to the webmaster or another member. This will allow other members to find information that may help solve their problem.  By PMing your questions, you decrease forum activity and create more work for active members who end up repeating information to individuals looking for the same information.  Thank you.

Main Menu

Clipper right for me?

Started by <Lisa>, May 14, 2002, 12:13:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

<Lisa>

I have recently stumbled upon the clipper.  I have been looking into purchacing our first RV and really like the look of the clipper, but wonder as a newbie if it is a good idea to start with something that might need so much work and maintance.  The other thing is we will be traveling long distances is the clipper up to it?
thanks

<kippur48>

I too am new to the Clipper, having just purchased a 1980 model with a Chevy drivetrain.  So, I can't address your specific concerns about maintenance and reliability... yet.  
Still,  from general experience, I have gone farther on much older and more decrepit motorhomes, and I'd have to say that using an older motorhome for long trips, is best thought of as a relationship.  You take care of the RV, the RV will take care of you!  Really, even new RV's can give trouble... as I witnessed a few years back.  Using my 34 year old Balboa, I was in a park near Tombstone AZ, and the fellow right next to me had a brand spanking new, ultra fancy Class A that had an electrical problem that precluded him starting it, or having any power in the coach.  He literally called the manufacturer for help from the RV office phone.  Thing is... he was totally helpless to do anything himself and was stuck there for several days, while they flew a technician out to help him!  My simple old coach, meanwhile, never missed a beat throughout a much longer trip than he took!

There are things to be learned from this:
1) Keep it simple.  Too many gadgets that you can't fathom can make it an expensive pain to keep them all working.  Clippers tend to be relatively straightforward... most don't even have "engine management sytems", a complication newer RV's are stuck with. That's a good thing!
2) Keep it in shape.  There's nothing terribly difficult or time consuming about maintaining a Clipper.  And I understand the tech info available from ACOC is outstanding, so you can't use lack of knowledge as an excuse.  In fact, any RV that's neglected for long, is liable to be worse trouble than a Clipper when it comes to rectifying the problems that arise from that neglect.
3) The hardest thing on RV's is often disuse, or misuse, not proper use!  A Clipper, or any other motorhome that see's regular service as well as regular maintenance... isn't likely to give as much trouble as one that sits for months or years at time, or is driven to death, without any help. Simply replacing all the belts, hoses, fluids and anything else that "rots" or decays with age... before you leave... is usually enough "insurance" that you'll have trouble free trip.
4)  Buy the best quality you can afford in the first place. Clippers hold their value because they were one of the highest quality units available in their day.... and in many cases higher quality than can be had for any amount of money... today!  Usually, that quality pays off handsomely over time.  Meaning, if you follow the first three lessons, the pay-off is a coach that's pretty close to ageless.  Which is what a true classic really is.  You can own it, and enjoy it for life.

HEY... it's easier to take care of than kid's!