News:

This website's purpose is to share information with clipper owners and others who are interested in clippers or have old Dodge B300 chassis motorhomes.  In an attempt to share as much information as possible to as many people as possible PLEASE first post your questions in one of the forum boards rather than sending a PM to the webmaster or another member. This will allow other members to find information that may help solve their problem.  By PMing your questions, you decrease forum activity and create more work for active members who end up repeating information to individuals looking for the same information.  Thank you.

Main Menu

Any other 1980 owners out there?

Started by AnnandEd, August 05, 2008, 12:56:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AnnandEd

Hi again:
I have had great fun reading all of the postings and tips for Clipper Owners, but have yet to see one from an owner of a 1980 model. We bought ours from a dealer who had bought it at auction. We have no paperwork, manuals, logs or anything. We wrote a very nice letter to the previous owner (his name was on the pink slip)
asking if he could give us any information about the condition of the coach, good or bad. We thought it would be easier than finding out the hard way if something is really wrong. Unfortunately we did not get a reply (his prerogative  obviously.) Luckily my husband knows a bit about engines and can do quite a few things. It would be nice to compare notes with other '80 owners.
Ann

jimrazz

Hi-
I have a 1980 Clipper. I've had it for about 8 months. It has the 440 Dodge motor and the party floor plan. Needed lots of work, but we've managed to get some good use out of it so far and we like it for the most part.
Jim.

AnnandEd

Hi,
Just noticed your reply and appreciate hearing from you. Maybe if we tackle any projects we could help each other out with ideas? So far I have re-upholstered the cushions and cleaned quite a bit, my husband has tinkered with the technical stuff. Ours is the rear bath model but we had a party model Tioga many years ago and really liked it.
Ann

Sal

Hi my Clipper is 1980 Chevy chassis I dont see not to many Chevy Chassis

AnnandEd

Hi Sal, Our 1980 is on a Chevy chassis. Maybe we can compare notes. We have lots of little problems that we are trying to correct. The worst one is that the coach battery still keeps draining. Cannot find the short or whatever is causing it. We were going to buy a new battery charger, thinking that ours was too old, but so far haven't done it. Also, our propane disappeared somehow. We put in about four gallons, but when we came to use it, it was gone. The first time we put some in it lasted for ages. Any ideas? My husband is busy rebuilding a retaining wall in the back yard before the rains come, so the Clipper has had to take a back seat for a while.
Ann and Ed

John Eversoll

Hi there , I just noticed your post... Leaking LP.........????
check to make sure the handles for the stove weren't turned on a bit as leak the L P out..   

If that isn't the prob maybe check the connections where the  LP goes into the coach.   

Sorry I can't be much help. Maybe Jerry has a clue for you..

John

JerryT

I turn my tank valve off when I park, try that, if you still are loosing gas then it would be at the tank. I would do the soapy water thing and find it. Stove pilots would be my first stop.
JerryT

clockwork

I have noticed lately that I can smell a small propane leak at the tank if I don't open the valve fully to the back stop. It may be that I need to have the valve repaired, as I was taught to back off 1/2 turn after full open on a gate valve. It is 30 years old, after all. How many systems on the new rigs they are pumping out will still be working in 2039? Or even be serviceable?   

John Eversoll

get the valve replaced!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

John