News:

The club is no longer active.  The forum will continue to be available for folks to find information and ask for help.
The tech forums are now open to all.  Other vintage Dodge-based class C owners welcome.

Main Menu

New Owner

Started by AnnandEd, August 04, 2008, 02:52:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AnnandEd

Hi!
We recently purchased a 1980 Clipper which has not been used for about 5 years. It seems to be in pretty good shape overall. My husband drove it 200 miles from the seller and almost made it! A fan belt broke and wrapped around the water hose, causing the engine to overheat.  He was about 25 miles from home but was able to get to a beach campground, where he spent an unscheduled night. The previous owner had left a used belt in the coach so my husband was able to replace the broken one and make it home. Now he is having a problem opening the valves to the holding tanks. The handle turns but will not pull out. Any suggestions?
We are very happy to be owners again, we had a Tioga when our children were young, and now will introduce the grand-children to the fun of RVing, once we get everything all checked out.

jon

I have the samp problem. The valve for the grey water is stuck half open. Not a big deal for me (I work on a farm and am use to getting a little something smelly on myself) I just open the little cap and stand back. As for the black water I have to pull on it pretty hard to get it open. I was always going to lube it up with some W-D 40 or something but forgot until last labor day weekend when I pulled up to the sewer dump and almost got wet.

LARRY RAY

Not sure of the make of your valves, but you might try this. Mine were stuck pretty bad when I bought her. Look closely and see if there are maybe four stainless screws around the stem or handle. Remove them, and just keep working till t-handle and all come out. If their not torn just clean real good and use a veg oil on them and put them back. I also never close mine completely when not in use. Keeps them from sticking when they dry. Hope this helps.
ACOC# 3514
1978--821F-- ser#48851 440 Dodge  Built on a Dream--Still a Dream.  Let's all keep it that way.

AnnandEd

Thank you  Jon and Larry Ray for your response to our query. We just came back from 2 weeks in Seattle (not in the Clipper) and didn't see your answer til today. Ed finally ordered new handles and installed those, but too bad we didn't try your remedies! We still haven't made that first trip, more work to be done.
Ann and  Ed

Andy

Quote from: LARRY RAY on September 06, 2008, 05:28:12 AM
Not sure of the make of your valves, but you might try this. Mine were stuck pretty bad when I bought her. Look closely and see if there are maybe four stainless screws around the stem or handle. Remove them, and just keep working till t-handle and all come out. If their not torn just clean real good and use a veg oil on them and put them back. I also never close mine completely when not in use. Keeps them from sticking when they dry. Hope this helps.

Robert P. Anderson

THE CLUB SELLS THE PARTS FOR THE OLD VALVES. THEY ALSO SELL A CONVERSION KIT THAT HAVE NEW TYPE VALVES THAT ARE TROUBLE FREE AND ARE ABOUT 1/2 THE PRICE OF THE OLD STYLE VALVES. IF YOU TAKE THE OLD STYLE VALVES  APART PUT  WATER PUMP GREASE ON THE VALVE WEDGE AND STEMS. AN EXPENSIVE SUBSTUITE FOR THE WATER PUMP GREASE IS A SMAIL TIN CALLED NO- SQUEEK AVAILABLE ANY PLACE WHERE PLUMBING SUPPLIER ARE SOLD.

houts42

Hello
I have just gotten a 1978 clipper kitchen in the back, yada,yada. But I also had a bit of moment with the the holding tank handle, pulling it out - to empty it. soooooooo I got out one of the 4 things that almost always helps in any situation-  one of them being wd40!! The other 3 are duck tape, baling wire and a bigger hammer.
was wondering just how dif. your model and mine are.
there are a few things I do not want that may be you could use-the pull down curtain over the kitchen window and the cover in front of it and also the cover for the one over the table. I would prefer to make some curtains- just let me know if you want pic's and I will when I can I will get those to you
think this is 23 ft rear kitchen / with a couch across from the table area.   

AnnandEd

Thanks for the answer. My husband ended up buying new handles after everything else failed. We have a side kitchen model, 1980, so I doubt the window covers will work, but it was good of you to offer.