News:

This website's purpose is to share information with clipper owners and others who are interested in clippers or have old Dodge B300 chassis motorhomes.  In an attempt to share as much information as possible to as many people as possible PLEASE first post your questions in one of the forum boards rather than sending a PM to the webmaster or another member. This will allow other members to find information that may help solve their problem.  By PMing your questions, you decrease forum activity and create more work for active members who end up repeating information to individuals looking for the same information.  Thank you.

Main Menu

ELECTRICAL WOE

Started by kenmel, July 01, 2013, 11:19:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kenmel

any body know what this connector is called? Or have a part number. Mine is melted and has 2 melted wires from the ignition module and then down a wire bundle that looks like it is going too the starter. The wire is the easy part to replace, but what about the connecter,are they available and what do I ask for?? :D  Thanks

Clipper Joe

Hi Ken,
What a bumer- Did you have a shorted wire?
Do you know what caused problem?

I have a Owners manual, I can Scan & E-Mail you the Engine wiring Diagram.
The only place you may find that connector is a Wrecking Yard,
Off a 1 Ton B300 Dodge Van, find one that has same engine size.

Will look at my Clipper, Tomorrow& try & upload some info for you.
Had a hard time seeing part on I-Phone..

Take Care,
Joe
1977 Dodge 440  Rear Kitchen
Note: Clipper Sold: (Miss It)
ACOC#3749
Now Own 2002 Class A Diesel Pusher

bulldog 1995

Sorry to tell you this, but you have two chances of finding that connector, slim and none. GM has a large aftermarket following for wiring as most aftermarket wiring harnesses use GM connectors. Ford and Dodge have none.

My advice for you is to cut it out and splice in the correct gauge wire in the gap. just make sure you use soder and non-insulated crimp splices and heat shrink on each wire and then wrap it all with a nice layer of black electrical tape. You should go through the entire unit from bumper to bumper and find any other bad connections you have. also trace the wires and find the dead short that caused that problem in the first place.

Another option is to completely rewire the cab and chassis. you can get a 15 circuit kit from American Autowire for about $325. I've installed several of these kits and found them to be one of the easiest to install. A novice can generally install it over a weekend. Then you will have a brand new harness that you wont have to worry about.

heres a link to American Autowire's website http://www.americanautowire.com/shop/highway-15-wiring-kit
77 821 FCIT Dodge 440 w/less then 30,000 miles

kenmel

No shorts anywhere, all the wiring looks new. What I think happened is a nick in the insulation combined with the ignition module going out. Other than the wire from it melting the others still look fine. Luckily I have all the new parts to fix it except that connector. Even that connector is still decent and works it just has a melty looking spot over that one wires connector. I just talked to a guy on CL here that bought out a Mopar dealer in the early 90's 8) and he says that he has the one I need. He has over 150,000 NOS parts from the 50's-through  the 80's  :o. I just got a picture of the one he has and it looks to be the same one. He said the parts manual he has calls for that one for the Van chassis. I am going this week to look and make sure. I will see what all he has and will let you guys know , that way if there is something you can't find he probably has one. ;D YYYYYAAAAAYYYYYYY!!!!!   I am not going to use any more electric tape when I replace it, I hate that stuff for engine compartments. Its adhesive melts and starts not holding, shrink tubing and high quality insulated wire looming is what will go back in.

Clipper Joe

Hi Ken,
Was there a fuse in that nicked wire?
I would think there would of had some type of wire protections...

It's Great you find a source for Nos Mopar, please get Contact info for Other Clipper Owners, I know these old Rigs are getting harder to find parts for.

I'm thinking of re-doing Front End, ball joints & All linkage Etc. Possible new Steering gear unit. I have read Big Ray info.
For now I thing Bilstien Shocks wil be first.
Then maybe New H.D. Coil Springs.

Let us know how you make out on your repairs?

Joe
ACOC#3749

SirRB

Hi,
If you just need to fix a couple of wires in the connector I would just cut the bad wires at the existing connector. Repair the wires and connect them in a new weather pack connector. You can get the connectors at any auto parts store. Here is a link to what I am talking about
http://www.autozone.com/autozone/accessories/MSD-2-pin-Deutsch-high-current-locking-connector/_/N-269d?itemIdentifier=349193&_requestid=2022431
We do this in the auto repair shop all the time. This one is good because it is for high current connections.
Hope this helps,
Randy

kenmel

Ken and Melissa, 1978 821 FIT, rear kitchen. ACOC #3805

Clipper Joe

Hi Ken,

Have Been trying To Gather As Much Old Hard To Find, Dodge Parts & Clipper Plastic Parts, That I Have Room For, Or Wife Lets Me Be A Pack-Rat. I Just Found A Wrecked Clipper That Was Being Towed, Just Have To Find What Impound Yard They Took It.
It Has A Nice Window Awning I Would Like To Put On Mine.

I Will Be Talking To Web Master At Rally On Maybe Adding A Spot For This.

How Did You Make Out On Your Short You Had??

Joe
ACOC#3749

kenmel

Joe, I am waiting on the cold to kill these darn wasp that think my left headlight ring is a good place to live lol.  I am pretty much ready to do the repair, but I may have it towed to a guy around 25 miles away and let him replace the wires and connector for 300 total, it would be a lot easier to run a whole new wire to the starter that way. Plus he said he would do a full tune up and adjust the timing and carb as needed. The dash air works great so I guess I am one ahead on a lot of people. For doing all of that I think it is more than a fair price seeing as I will have to go buy some more tools since mine grew legs and walked off. I have to decide on either a patio awning for the Clipper or an AR-10 308. Damn hard choice lol. Ken
Ken and Melissa, 1978 821 FIT, rear kitchen. ACOC #3805