News:

The club is no longer active.  The forum will continue to be available for folks to find information and ask for help.
The tech forums are now open to all.  Other vintage Dodge-based class C owners welcome.

Main Menu

1976 Dodge F30 Chassis - SMOG - CAT needed?

Started by austech360, March 10, 2020, 08:08:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

austech360

Hi!!! I have a rear kitchen model, 21' American clipper that I got a year or so ago. Since then, I've been attempting to move my family and myself 2000 miles away from California, to Missouri. My Clipper however, hasn't been to have it's smog checked, it sat for over a year!

So it's got the 440 engine, and the ignition system had died, So I got fire going, got it running! Drowning in fuel though. Okay. Floats sticking most likely. Open carb. Corrosion on the nail pins that the floats pivot on! Clean that up. Change gaskets, float seats and needles, Check float height... One was at 1-12/32, the other at 1-8/32! Way too lean! Yet they were flooding!(Because of the corrosion on the pivot point... I would imagine. Sitting so long with no fuel in the bowls.. They stuck in the "down" position.

So I set the float height to 29/32 as per Carter. Running a LOT better now.. Got it running good enough to take it to get new pipes on it, as everything past the muffler was missing.. I'm not sure if it was supposed to have a cat or not.. I had my aunt research it.. She's pretty good at finding stuff. She said it didn't need one. So we take it to get pipes, from the exhaust manifolds all the way down to in front of the driver side dual wheel. Seemed like a good spot for it.

However.. I'm looking at a thread on here about someones 360 and it won't pass smog. they uploaded an image.

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-yCgOJs3auAw/WKt6h7hbwXI/AAAAAAAAgeY/VF3Wk75UhTUWj9sUVUwt4UHBhrHvNC1BQCL0B/h3300/2017-02-20.jpg

Highlighted is theirs. Mine is the 76 440 4bbl HDC Calif

I see that it has "HIAS" Heated Inlet Air System. When the exhaust shop put new pipes on, they used the spring and set it up to be always open. and the bi-metal piece is gone all together now. Is this going to prevent me from passing smog? I only need to pass smog to get tags so I can drive it across the country and then re-register it in Missouri!

How likely am I to pass smog with this 440? I have been driving it *cough "Don't tell" *cough and tweaked the metering rods to get better performance, I think the last guy was at wits end trying to make it run. but they knew nothing of engines, and tried to adjust the thermoquad, when they didn't have fire because of the Ignition Control Module. Thoughts?

SCOPE:
Do I need the heat riser thing on the passenger exhaust to pass smog? I don't have it anymore.