News:

This website's purpose is to share information with clipper owners and others who are interested in clippers or have old Dodge B300 chassis motorhomes.  In an attempt to share as much information as possible to as many people as possible PLEASE first post your questions in one of the forum boards rather than sending a PM to the webmaster or another member. This will allow other members to find information that may help solve their problem.  By PMing your questions, you decrease forum activity and create more work for active members who end up repeating information to individuals looking for the same information.  Thank you.

Main Menu

New Clipper Owner

Started by SierraJoe, May 23, 2019, 01:12:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SierraJoe

Hi everyone, new Clipper owner here. Last week we purchased a 1977 for $2700 with the back kitchen and two foldable couches. 89,000 miles on the Clipper with a new alternator, battery and 4-barrel carb. The engine runs very smooth with lots of power. Only issues I can see so far with the engine is a power steering leak and an oil leak which as far as I can tell is either the oil pan gasket or the rear main seal. I'll start with the oil pan gasket but I'm a little reluctant to try changing the rear main if needed. Has anyone had the rear main replaced before and how much? The body is in great shape with a few broken clearance markers which will be easy to replace. I put in five gallons of propane and the tank checked out fine. The stove works but not the water heater or furnace. The furnace fan turns on, but I do not hear the igniter. I know it's a Suburban, so I'm hoping once I figure out the model number, I can order a new igniter. The furnace also looks like it's missing a front panel but I'm pretty sure I can substitute it with a new piece of metal cut to match if I can get it working again. The fridge works great in electric mode, but I can't get the gas igniter to ignite as it's broken. Again, I'm hoping to find a replacement. A few water leaks in the past but seemed currently patched. I had to replace two missing vent domes so I'm sure that was the source of the main leaks. I took the side wall off in the bathroom and I?m in the process of putting in new panels. I'll do the same for the other areas that need replacing. I'm just finishing up on getting the water system back up, I put in some new water lines around the pump and needed to replace the city water connection as it was leaking when the pump was on. The gas gauge, engine temp and oil pressure gauges do not work, and I tried installing a new voltage regulator on the board in the dash, but it still did not work. I'll probably have to find a replacement instrument cluster on eBay or install different gauges. Next week I'll be putting new tires on the Clipper as the other ones are 15 years old. For being over 40 years old, I'm very pleased with the shape she's in and it's not going to take that much work to get her fully functioning again. My wife and I love the look and layout of the Clipper and have enjoyed reading about the history of the Clipper and what a great little RV it is. We live in Norther Nevada and plan on joining the American Clipper Owner's Club soon. We are looking forward to talking with other owners on the forum. Thanks for listening!
77 821 F 1 T Dodge 440

SierraJoe

Things are coming along great with the Clipper. The fridge works on all three settings, the water heater works great after cleaning up the connections. I installed a new pressure valve as I didn't trust the old 42 year old valve would do it's job. Last night I got the furnace to fire up after cleaning the ignitor and blowing out all the dust that had accumulated over the years. The front panel is missing on the furnace so I'm going to make a replacement with a piece of sheet metal. I replaced all of the fuel lines as well as the fuel filter. When I filled the Clipper up with gas, I noticed gas seeping out of the fuel sending unit, so I drained the gas , took out the sending unit and had a radiator shop solder the leaky connection to the gas line. No more leaks! I also had to install a new fresh water pump and replace a few gaskets in the drain pipes under the kitchen sink. Water system now holds pressure with no leaks. After I tested the water system, I saw that both the grey water and black water valves were leaking so I replaced them also. I have an appointment for new tires next week and then off for a nearby overnight camping trip. Very little cost up to this point (with the exception of the tires). The family is looking forward to getting out this summer.
77 821 F 1 T Dodge 440

Toedtoes

Great!  Sounds like things are coming along nicely!
'75 American Clipper Dodge 360 821F; ACOC #3754

SierraJoe

Took the clipper outdoor the very first time last month about 20 miles away with an elevation gain of about 2200 feet. Struggled going up the canyon into the mountains but made it to the campsite. Had a great time but on the way back it ran terrible. Major backfiring coming down the canyon and little power. When I got home I pulled the plugs which had fuel on them. I figured since it was running rich it would be the timing or carb needing adjustment. The carb had a complete rebuilt 2 years ago but I knew it sat awhile before I bought it so I thought that perhaps the old gas had fouled the carburetor. I replaced the fuel filter, new plugs and sprayed the carb with carb cleaner. Still ran terrible. I made an appointment with my mechanic who couldn't see me for a month and parked it on the side of the house. Took it in yesterday and the problem was 2 crossed plug wires and the distributor cap was not locked into place correctly which would throw off the timing. The previous owner had a receipt for a recent tune up so I was banking on it being a carburetor issue due to sitting awhile with little use. Drove it home and couldn't believe how smooth the engine ran and the increase in power. Counting new tires, I've put about $1200.00 into the Clipper so far. We are looking forward to going out again soon!
77 821 F 1 T Dodge 440

SierraJoe

Since the last post, I finished replacing all of the water damaged ceiling panels and the wall panel by the rear window. I resealed all of the vents and removed the TV antenna and resealed with a new gasket, silicone and installed screws with bolts to tighten it down. I also installed a water temperature gauge as my dash instruments are dead. I took it out last weekend for a trip about 20 miles away. It was in the mid 90's and I had to climb around a 1000 feet. It was running around 200 degrees and crept up to close to 240 degrees during the elevation gain. It didn't boil over but I pulled over and let it cool down for about a half hour. Once I took off I briefly experienced vapor lock and lost power and had to pull over. I restarted it and revved the engine up a little and it ran great to the campsite. We had a great time camping and everything worked great. The Clipper ran great home and I took it out around town the next day in 90 plus temperatures and never got above 203 degrees. The radiator looks new inside and in the past someone installed a dual exhaust system. I'm also wondering if the coolant is a 50/50 mix or if the previous owner poured straight coolant in it. I'm going to install a electric fuel pump for the vapor lock issue. What temperatures do other Clipper's typically run at? We can't wait to go out again!
77 821 F 1 T Dodge 440

Clipper Joe

Hello SierraJoe,
I See Your Post Was Very Much What I Went Through.
If You Want To PM You Contact Phone #,
It?s Easy To Speak A Question Than A Bounce Of Typing.
I?ll Try To Be Brief On A Few Of Your Questions.

1.) I Have Tried To Have Clipper Owners To Use On Ceiling Non-Leveling Dicor
Poly Sealant: On Vents, Ladder Bases, Around Escape Hatch, Fridge Exhaust Vent &
Antenna Base.( Silicone Does Seal But Is So Hard To Get Of Fiberglass.Use On Side Trim & Around Clearance Lights.

2.) I Have A Few Questions For You Is This Clipper A 440 Ci Dodge?
3.) Do You Have A Thermo-Quad Carb.?
4.) What Type & Temperature Are You Using, For Your Thermostat?
5.) How Old Is Your Radiator Core & Is It 3 Or 4 Row? (You Are Correct You Want 50%-50% Mixture)
6.) How Is The Flow In Front Of Radiator, Is Trans Cooler Or Any They Blocking Flow?
7.) What Brand Of Fan Clutch & Do You Have Stock Shroud?
8.) How Is Your Timing? A lot Of Smog Guys Dog Down Timing, Sometimes Carb & Timing Very Important. Also Need A Lot Of Air To That Engine.
9.) I Installed 2 6? Holes & Put On A Hood Scoop That Let My Clipper Breathe.
10.) One Last Item, When Was The Last Time You Have Changed Your Fuel Filter?
( Also Note: There Was A Steel Fuel Wix Filter On Inside Passenger Frame.
When You Get Your Vapor Lock, Check And See If The Fuel Filter Is Real Hot😡😡
You May Have To Insulate It, I Did On May Clipper & Used Header Wrap On Right Exhaust Pipe, By Filter) Your Clipper Should Be 170-185 Degrees, Less Is Good, Thermostat Controls That.
Use Mr. Gasket 180 Degree. 

Hope This Helps,
Thanks For Toedtoes For Letting Me Know, You Needed Assit.

Clipper Joe

1977 Dodge 440  Rear Kitchen
Note: Clipper Sold: (Miss It)
ACOC#3749
Now Own 2002 Class A Diesel Pusher

SierraJoe

Hi Clipper Joe! Thanks for getting back to me and thanks to Toedtoes to referring you to me. I will PM you with my contact number. As to your questions, I have:

2.  Dodge 440 engine
3. Elderbrock Performer Q-Jet 795 carburator
4. I'm guessing I have a 190 degree thermostat as I observed it open at that temperature when I was driving and the previous owner left me a spare 190.
5. 3 core radiator that looks like new inside (looks like original from the outside)
6. Trans cooler in front of radiator that has slipped down and is positioned low at an angle.
7. Looks like the original fan clutch with the original shroud.
8. Timing I'm not sure about but I live in Northern Nevada and don't have to worry about smog requirements. Two previous owners ago had a new carburetor installed in 2017 locally which would have been installed and adjusted without smog requirements.
10. First thing I installed, was a new fuel filter and fuel lines along with new tires after I bought it in May.
11. Dual exhaust (was this standard?)

Last owner didn't seem to know much about it, and told me he had a mechanic friend who would work on it and I don't think he had it long or took it out much. New spark plug wires were installed but two of them were crossed and the distributor cap was not seated correctly and caused the engine to run rich and rough. Once those 2 things were corrected the engine now runs smooth and is very responsive. I took a chance on it as PO had to jump start it and it ran rough and I couldn't verify that anything worked. He had receipts from the previous owner who looks like he took good care of it. I really wanted the Clipper so I countered offered his asking price figuring that I could fix the issues myself and he accepted. Didn't take much money, but quite a bit of labor on my part to get things back in order. Everything now works but I disconnected the furnace as I don't trust something that old. I use a portable Mr. Heater that has an oxygen sensor and will feel safer using it with my family. Same goes for the water heater, I put a new safety valve in it and turn it off once I heat the water. Eventually I will replace both of these. I was thrilled to find this site, but don't see much activity on it which is understandable with these Clippers now being over 40 years old. I appreciate the responses I receive from members and will post repairs and problems I solve to help others. I hope this site continues to exist and add new members.

77 821 F 1 T Dodge 440

SierraJoe

Thank you Clipper Joe for giving me a call! I appreciate your advice and knowledge and the many questions I had about my Clipper and Clippers in general.
77 821 F 1 T Dodge 440

SierraJoe

Forum Has been pretty quiet the past couple of weeks. I decided to start winterizing the Clipper this week as nighttime temperatures are starting to drop and we are suppose to drop below freezing Monday night. The nearby campgrounds will also be closing for the season in the next few weeks. I drained out the fresh water tank and blew out the water lines with my air compressor through the city water connection. I set the air pressure to 30 psi as I didn?t wish to blow out the water lines.  I also switched out the water heater drain petcock with a copper plug as it wouldn?t stop leaking after I opened it. I?ll leave the plug off till spring. I also shot water through the drain hold to break up the rust and sediment that had accumulated over the years. Took awhile but water now comes out nice and clear. Next step will be to pour some RV antifreeze down the drains and leave some in the toilet for the winter.
77 821 F 1 T Dodge 440