News:

The club is no longer active.  The forum will continue to be available for folks to find information and ask for help.
The tech forums are now open to all.  Other vintage Dodge-based class C owners welcome.

Main Menu

Water damage repair

Started by Koamileli, May 05, 2019, 03:25:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Koamileli

Got into tearing apart the interior roof over the bed and the rear kitchen area, both were heavily water damaged. Photos!

Koamileli

Overhead bunk ceiling getting stripped

Koamileli

I replaced the rotted and extremely crappy original wood skylight frame (which was also stapled at the joints!) with solid pine and screwed it all together using a Kreg jig and glue. Installed a brand new Heng's roof vent with self-leveling lap sealant and went over that with Beechlane permanent waterproof tape.

Koamileli

Starting in the kitchen now. Lots to do here. Will need to replace the entire countertop, back wall under window, side wall, and any supporting structures under the oven. The whole thing is about to collapse from years of water rot.

Koamileli

I've been looking around the site at info for window seals, but have not been able to find much. Is there a universal fit molding I can use that someone carries? I will need the small diameter window glass seal (originally gray) as well as the large diameter window frame seal (originally black) I am also happy to buy from the ACC "store" if still available. Thanks!

Clipper Joe

Hello,
Looks Like You Are Doing A Great Job With Your
Water Repair Leaks. I Have Found That Lowe?s Has Some
Real Nice Sized Poplar Wood For These Repair In There Select Wood
Department, Where The Oak & Redwood, Is Kept.

Real Nice You Are Showing Other Clipper Owners The
Photos Are Very Helpful, Keep Them Coming,
Helps Web Site Also.

Now Your, Original Question, There Is A Link On Main
Web Page. The Company That Sells The Hehr Window
Rubber Is At AllRite Company. It Only Sold In Black Now.
You Need To Order 1/8? Hehr Rubber Moulding.
Remember To Install On A Warm Day, Do Not Pull To Tight, This Will Shrink At Corners, Cut 45 Degree@ Corners, & Add Black RTV Silicone As A-weld Bead.
I?ll Try & Post Photo Of Mine On My Clipper ?Wilson? Tomorrow.

They Also Can Send A Sample, They Have A Store In Hollister, Ca
You Can PM Me If You More Questions, I Remove My Hole Rear Kitchen, Installed Long Drawers.

Clipper Joe
1977 Dodge 440  Rear Kitchen
Note: Clipper Sold: (Miss It)
ACOC#3749
Now Own 2002 Class A Diesel Pusher

Clipper Joe

Hello Again, Koamileli
Looking At Your Water Damage, Could Have Been Prevented
With Dicor? Self Leveling White Sealant On & Around Roof Vents.
Maintenance Is Very Important.
Just A Small Note:
Make Sure That You Snap Photos & Measure Things,
Before You Remove Old Wood. So When You Re-Install,
It Will Be Good To Refer To Drawings & Photos.
Also, The Top Drawers Are Shorter Do To Sink Size, Other 2 Are Full Size.Ill Try And Snap A Few Of Those If Needed.
Installed,New Faucet, Angle Valves, S.S. Flex Lines And New Abs Piping.
New Counter Top, Bought At Home Depot Etc;

Clipper Joe
1977 Dodge 440  Rear Kitchen
Note: Clipper Sold: (Miss It)
ACOC#3749
Now Own 2002 Class A Diesel Pusher

Koamileli

Hi Joe!

I bought my AC from an old man in the foothills of the Sierras...he told me he had sealed the roof last year, but when I got up there things looked pretty sketchy at best. He also said it never leaked, but I think that?s just because it never actually rained where he lived. I touched up what I could, then began my 5,000 mile trip east. After the first big east coast rainstorm hit me, that?s when all the weak points were immediately exposed...but it became clear that the damage I found was from many years of rot. So now that I?m stationary for awhile, I?m digging into this thing to get it done right before I move back in full time.

I Will be installing two new fans and vent covers for the rear as well, and sealing everything up with Dicor followed by beechlane waterproof tape as I did with the bed skylight. Additionally, after dismantling the bed ceiling and seeing how minimal the entire roof structure is, I have vowed to never walk on the roof again. I now walk only on the raised side rails, and I lay down 3 or 4 2x4s across the middle to lay or kneel on if I need to access something in the middle of the roof, then my body weight is distributed between the side rails.

Thank you for the info regarding the window seals! They will all have to be done as there is moisture at nearly every interior seam, though only the rear window is actually leaking currently. It?s been a battle just to get to this point, but I really love this thing and hope to be back to living full time in it soon.

Koamileli

Here are a few shots of the current window glaze situation. You can see the joints are still clearly 45 degree cuts, they have just shrunk that much over the last 43 years.

Koamileli

I will also need to refresh the thicker window glazing at the top as that has shrunk, also the large black bead that holds the aluminum window frame. Any one have the info on those too?

SierraJoe

Nice job! The bunk ceiling and ceiling above the fridge are next on my list. I'm going to remove the old crank for the tv antenna and seal the hole once I get the old ceiling out. Thanks for the pictures, I will now know what to expect and plan accordingly.
77 821 F 1 T Dodge 440