News:

This website's purpose is to share information with clipper owners and others who are interested in clippers or have old Dodge B300 chassis motorhomes.  In an attempt to share as much information as possible to as many people as possible PLEASE first post your questions in one of the forum boards rather than sending a PM to the webmaster or another member. This will allow other members to find information that may help solve their problem.  By PMing your questions, you decrease forum activity and create more work for active members who end up repeating information to individuals looking for the same information.  Thank you.

Main Menu

Hello all! New Clipper in hand, big journey ahead!

Started by Koamileli, November 24, 2018, 06:59:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Koamileli

Hello everyone! Hoping to learn a lot here....Just bought a 1976 Dodge Clipper 821FC with the 440ci V8 in Central California, and the maiden journey will be a criss-cross 4,000 mile trip back across the beautiful western states to the east coast. About 500 miles into the journey so far, currently holed up in Seattle for repairs.

I replaced both batteries, alternator, and belts as a precaution to start. All House power just gave out the other day, and the main battery won?t charge the house battery. Shore power doesn?t work anymore either. I replaced the inline 30a fuse in the battery box, and all the fuses under the dash and in the control panel under the seats on the right side are good. I?m guessing there?s a relay and inverter tucked behind the control panel that may need to be replaced? I can?t seem to find any other components anywhere.

White dicor self leveling sealant seems to be the favorite here for sealing the roof, but I have not been able to find any in brick and mortar stores. Any store recommendations or maybe a substitute sealant?

Thanks to all in advance for the knowledge, can?t wait to get this beauty running right and back on the road!

Toedtoes

The house battery is connected to a converter/charger box.  The converter converts 120v shore power into 12v for the lights and water pump.  There is no inverter (an inverter inverts 12v battery power into 120v to run the electric outlets).

The engine battery does not charge the house battery.  When driving, the alternator should charge the house battery (and of course the engine battery), but most clippers have too small gauge wire from the alternator to the house battery so it could overheat, etc.

Behind the fuses in the box under the seat you will find the wires that connect the charger/converter to the house battery.  You will want to check the voltage to see if you can identify where the disconnect is.  You may need to replace the converter/charger - if so get a Progressive Dynamics with the smart charger.
'75 American Clipper Dodge 360 821F; ACOC #3754

Koamileli

Thanks for the advice @Toedtoes I think I may go ahead and get the upgraded converter charger anyway just to be safe. What gauge wire do you recommend running between the alternator and converter/charger?

I had also replaced the voltage regulator under the hood in the middle of the firewall as a precaution, but there is another strange looking box in the left corner of the firewall behind the main battery that I have no idea what it is.

Koamileli

Does the wiring from the alternator to the house battery run through the converter as well, or is the converter used solely for shore power conversion? What amp rating for the converter should I use? They make a few different models. Obviously I have more than one problem here, with the shore power and alternator charging not working, just trying to figure out the best way to do this. Thanks!

Toedtoes

The part on the left should be the ignition module.

6 or 8 gauge wire is good.  You won't go through the conerter/charger.

When we did mine, we wired it so I could jumpstart the engine battery off the house battery - added a toggle switch in the dash and a breaker right after the engine battery and another right before the house battery.

I have a 45amp progressive dynamics.  Unless you plan on upgrading to a 50amp setup, that should be plenty.  It was actually a better price than the 30amp version.
'75 American Clipper Dodge 360 821F; ACOC #3754