News:

This website's purpose is to share information with clipper owners and others who are interested in clippers or have old Dodge B300 chassis motorhomes.  In an attempt to share as much information as possible to as many people as possible PLEASE first post your questions in one of the forum boards rather than sending a PM to the webmaster or another member. This will allow other members to find information that may help solve their problem.  By PMing your questions, you decrease forum activity and create more work for active members who end up repeating information to individuals looking for the same information.  Thank you.

Main Menu

ac for house part

Started by rvguy101, May 28, 2017, 08:59:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rvguy101

so what type of ac did the old clipper, have for the house part ?,. i got a old 78, that i will like to ues next month,.
77 dodge clipper, with 20,000 miles. & a 85 Vogue motor coach diesel 35 foot.

Toedtoes

I'm not sure what your question is?

Are you asking what make and model you have so you can get parts for it?  Are you asking how to operate it?  Are you asking what AC to install?

If you have an AC already, take a photo of the inside controls.  That will let other folks see if it's the one they have and then they can tell you what the make and model is.  I don't know if there were multiple makes of ACs used on the clippers (there were for the furnace and water heater), but there would be different models.

For a new one, you have more versatility.  I believe I posted a link to one that has a thermostat some time ago.  I'll top that post for you if I find it (if not, I'll find the website and link to it here).  If my AC goes out, that is the one I'd replace it with.  With the size of the clipper, these new fancy ACs really aren't necessary, but being able to set a temp rather than having three simple settings (cold, colder, coldest) would be nice.  Most ACs with thermostats have vents - our clippers don't have vents.
'75 American Clipper Dodge 360 821F; ACOC #3754

rvguy101

that is the inside controls,.  the question is, where can i find parts for it at,. & what type of refrigerant it takes,.

Toedtoes

The brand is "Duo-Therm".  If you can find a serial number or model number on it you'll be in great shape.  But if not, you can call around to RV part stores and have them see if there are parts for a 1975-1980 Duo-Therm air conditioning unit (give them the range of years, then narrow down if needed - I suspect it didn't change enough over those years to be an issue).  But, I doubt there will be many parts available - like a compressor, etc. - unless you can find used parts on ebay and such.  And you won't have any guarantee those parts will work (I've had to buy the same part two or three times to get one that actually worked).

If it were just a simple "rebuilding" with replacing old worn out hoses, gaskets, etc., you could most likely take it apart and find or make pieces to work.  It would just take a bit of legwork taking pieces in to auto parts stores, hardware stores, etc., to find something that could do the job.

However, if it's missing its freon, then you would do best to replace it.  It will be near impossible to reseal the old unit to be effective and to stop losing freon.  You don't need ducted and you can install it yourself, so the expense of a new unit with a warranty will end up being a better deal that trying to fix the old one.  And you won't have 40 years of gook coming out in the air - and if it's been sitting for an unknown amount of time not working, there could be a lot of molds and mildews growing inside that will be released with the air flow.

I topped the thread with the replacement AC - it was priced at $200 for the AC unit and the wall thermostat when I posted.  For just the unit without a wall thermostat, it's even cheaper.  And the units are much more efficient nowadays.  Same basic operation and should fit pretty close to the existing hole in the roof (if not perfectly).

rvguy101

mold & mildew,. i think i got it all,. & thanks for that,. i will check it out,. i try the rv shop down the road from me,. he have stuff from the 70s & 80s,.

Toedtoes

Just looked at prices on the new duo-therm.  The AC unit is on sale for $80.75.  The thermostat is $112.  You could buy the unit for less than it'd cost to repair your old one and skip the thermostat if cost is an issue.

rvguy101

i'm going to go with that new type,. parts are a lot for the old one,.

Toedtoes

I think that's a good decision.  At $81, you aren't going to get the old one in comparable condition to the new one.

rvguy101

u won't know, what the vent in the floor is for ?,. it off a 78 clipper,. might as well ask, before i forget,.

Toedtoes

My guess is they are heating ducts for the propane furnace. But they didn't have them in 75, so i'm not positive.

Clipper Joe

Yes Indeed That Is The Vent For OEM Heater Ducting.

Joe
1977 Dodge 440  Rear Kitchen
Note: Clipper Sold: (Miss It)
ACOC#3749
Now Own 2002 Class A Diesel Pusher

Clipper Joe

Hello,
Is That The Price For Roof Compressor, And Lower In House Unit & Thermostat, Complete.??

Joe
ACOC#3749

Clipper Joe

Quote from: rvguy101 on May 29, 2017, 11:40:29 AM
that is the inside controls,.  the question is, where can i find parts for it at,. & what type of refrigerant it takes,.

They Would Use R-12, Later Or Newer Units Use Sometimes R134A
These Units Were Made Not To Recharge. Its Cost More To Repair Than To Replace With Better Units.

Joe
ACOC#3749

Toedtoes

Quote from: Clipper Joe on June 01, 2017, 05:07:50 PM
Hello,
Is That The Price For Roof Compressor, And Lower In House Unit & Thermostat, Complete.??

Joe

$200 is for both the AC unit and the thermostat.  If you just want the AC unit, it's $80.  The thermostat is $112.

Toedtoes