News:

This website's purpose is to share information with clipper owners and others who are interested in clippers or have old Dodge B300 chassis motorhomes.  In an attempt to share as much information as possible to as many people as possible PLEASE first post your questions in one of the forum boards rather than sending a PM to the webmaster or another member. This will allow other members to find information that may help solve their problem.  By PMing your questions, you decrease forum activity and create more work for active members who end up repeating information to individuals looking for the same information.  Thank you.

Main Menu

Escape hatch

Started by Howard Bullit Stubbs, September 22, 2016, 08:25:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Howard Bullit Stubbs

I replaced the over bunk escape hatch this Tuesday. We had a nice sunny warm day with very low humidity. A week ago I did all the prep work inside, removed ceiling, installed new framing and removed rot. The new hatch is larger. Repair went well, made sure everything was clean and installed per instructions, butyl caulk and self leveling Dicor. That night and the following day we had heavy rain and I'm happy to say NO LEAKS! :)

Clipper Joe

Hello Mr.Howard,
That's What We Like To Hear No Lesks ;D

Sounds Like Your Install Went Very Well For You.
Can I Ask What Size Of Hatch Did You Install? And Would You Have Model # & Place You Bought It For
Other Clipper Owners. Also What Year Your Clippers Is You Installed It On?

Also How Did You Like The Dicor Product? Did You Use White?

Please Send Photo If You Can. ;)

Good Luck & Thanks For Updates

Joe

1977 Dodge 440  Rear Kitchen
Note: Clipper Sold: (Miss It)
ACOC#3749
Now Own 2002 Class A Diesel Pusher

Howard Bullit Stubbs

The escape hatch that I installed is a Hengs #48621-C2. I purchased it off eBay from PPl motorhomes, it was right around $100. The size is called 17"x 24", and you cut the hole size at 19 1/4"x 26 1/4". It slips in this size opening with about  1/8" clearance all around. Plenty of screw holes so it will mount down tight. The dicor sealant I used is white. This was not a difficult job.
I still have to install some insulation and put a ceiling skin back on. I'll get some photos and see if I can get them posted.
"Stubby" is a 1978 Dodge 440 with rear kitchen. Thanks for the interest and hope this may help some folks.

P.K.

Clipper Joe

Hello PK,
That Was A Great Update On Getting A Escape Hatch For A Clipper.
You Have Explained It Very Well.
A Few Years Ago. Just Before Winter.
There Was About 10-15 Questions On How To Repair Or Replace The Hatch Over Bunk Area.

The Club Really Likes To Have Source & Where To Get These Items For Clippers.

I Think The ACOC Supply Officer Also Stocks These Roof Hatches. Hengs Is A Good Company.
I Bought A Spare Top Lid When I Installed Mine A Few Years Back.
I May Also Have Oem That Came When New.

It Is Real Good To Check Your Roof Each Winter & Do Maintenance As Needed.
Check Dicor' Each Year & Renew, Around Ladder Brackets, Antenna Base & 14"x14" Vent Covers As Well.

Thanks Again & Happy Camping,

Joe
1977 Dodge 440  Rear Kitchen
Note: Clipper Sold: (Miss It)
ACOC#3749
Now Own 2002 Class A Diesel Pusher