News:

The club is no longer active.  The forum will continue to be available for folks to find information and ask for help.
The tech forums are now open to all.  Other vintage Dodge-based class C owners welcome.

Main Menu

Problems replacing "16.5 rims with normal size

Started by 76FireballKyle, August 13, 2016, 12:19:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

76FireballKyle

Hi everyone I'm having a hard time trying to replace the tires on my 1976 Clipper. I took it to my mechanic who said I have 16.5 inch tires that are no longer in production. He decided that it'd be best to switch out the rims to either 16 or 17 inch rims since tires for those are readily available. And cue the current problem. He found after researching that the rims have alternating "nipples" as he called it. On most wheels the holes in the rim are flat but half the holes on my rims have that nipple or lip turned inwards and half turned outwards. Apparently he can't put on the flat holed rims because only half of the 8 bolts would be secure and eventually the wheel would come loose. He also found that the rims are now hard to find because obviously it was a flawed design.  I still see lots of old dodge RVs on the road today so it must be done somehow. He mentioned something about them being dually rims. My question is does anyone know of a place that would have the dually rims or know of any adapters or something to make new rims work?
Kyle
The best moments in humor are punintentional

jbtbbrewer

It seems that tires and rims are a constant topic. We just went through a battle with the 16.5 rims. We found Firestone Transforce HT 8.75r 16.5 115r  tires on Amazon. We did have valve stem issues because of the hole size on the rim. We did not have issues with alternating "nipples".
Did you purchase the new rims already?

Toedtoes

Hi Kyle,

There is a company in Oklahoma that I believe carries the 16 inch coin style rims - clipper Joe found them, so he should be on to provide that info for you. Many folks find them at wrecking yards, etc.

If you want to keep the original wheels, you can go with the Firestone Transforce HT tires - they come in the 16.5 size. I have them on my clipper and they work great with no issue. Check online for best pricing then check your local shop for price guarantee.

I have never heard that the coin style rims are flawed - they are just an outdated style.
'75 American Clipper Dodge 360 821F; ACOC #3754

76FireballKyle

Quote from: Toedtoes on August 13, 2016, 07:27:11 AM
There is a company in Oklahoma that I believe carries the 16 inch coin style rims

So they are called coin style rims?  It's quite embarrassing to try getting help and not knowing what they're called.
Kyle
The best moments in humor are punintentional

Clipper Joe

Hello All,
These 16" Rims Were Being Put out By Wheel Express In Oklahoma.
They Got A Bad Batch The Center Hubs Were Coin Style Indeed, But Would Not Hold True In Trying To Get Tire Shop To Balances Them. >:(

There Are Very Little Choices On 16" Coin Style Rims.
Find A Set Off A Early Dodge RV, Wrecking Yard.
Possible Tire Shop Having After Market 16" From South America. The Chinese Inports Are Not Made For The Wt. ( GVW ) For Clippers. And Would Not Recommend Them, Mainly Safety Reasons..
Now Most Clippers Came With 8.00/16.5 Tires E Rated, You Can Use The Firestone Transforce 8.75R 16.5 E Rated, That Works Good at This Time.
Check Online & Most Tire Shops Will Price Match Tires.

If We Here of Anyone Remakeing Good 16" Coin Style Rims Will Give A Shout Out On Web Site & In Newsletter.

Good Luck & Happy RV'n

Joe
1977 Dodge 440  Rear Kitchen
Note: Clipper Sold: (Miss It)
ACOC#3749
Now Own 2002 Class A Diesel Pusher

kenmel

the 1 ton dodge dually 16" truck wheels from 79-88 fit from info I have found I might be off on the years by a few but I know it is the square body dodge duallys that had them. I found that buried deep in the old post from the old website. It looks like that post hasn't been uploaded here but I will look for a while and see if I can find it, if I can find it I will link it here. Only problem is those rims are getting harder to find also, CL, Ebay and salvage yards are going to be your best bet. Ken

EDIT found a link in an old thread that shows what to look for in the 16" wheels. It isn't on a Clipper but all the info would be the same for ours.

http://www.nicksgarage.com/brougham_wheels.htm
Ken and Melissa, 1978 821 FIT, rear kitchen. ACOC #3805

Clipper Joe

Hi Ken,
I Saw That On Google A While Back.
That Info Is Good, Those 16" Wheels Are Getting Hard To Find.
I Guess You Can Use Ford 1 Ton Van The Bolt Pattern Same.
But Have To Machine Coin Style Adapter Plate To Work On Rear Dually Of Clippers & Use Locking Pin & Large 1-1/8" Lug Nuts x 8 ea. They Have To Be Torqued 200+ Ft. Lbs.

We Need To Talk About This At Rally & ACOC News Letter.

Joe
ACOC#3749

rvguy101

i know it old, but i have used the 1 Ton ford Van,. on my 2 Clipper's,. they are better then the 16.5,. i running good years on my,.
77 dodge clipper, with 20,000 miles. & a 85 Vogue motor coach diesel 35 foot.

Koamileli

Hello all,

Is the information regarding the reproduction 16" wheels from Wheels Express in Oklahoma still correct as previously mentioned in this thread? I am in a serious bind here and need a bit of guidance. I took my Clipper to Firestone to have them install 6 new Transforce HT tires for me...after driving it 3,000 miles across the country I began to hear a knocking sound...turns out my left rear wheels were wobbling. Took it to a local shop and they discovered the Firestone tech did not line up the guide pin on the rear wheel and mounted it crooked. Somehow I made it all the way home without dying but the original 16.5" wheels are now destroyed.

I've been going back and forth with the Firestone legal department for 5 months, and they finally mailed a check to cover repairs two weeks ago. After the local shop spent several weeks trying to locate the right wheel, they mounted up the new 16" wheels only to find out they make contact with the tie rod ends. I never imagined that dishing would be an issue here, nor did the shop obviously.

My question here is...are we wasting our time trying to find a set of brand new 16" wheels? What about sizing up to 17"...would that remedy the dishing issue? Do I need to instruct the shop to start scouring junkyards for a set of used wheels instead?

As an aside, I would highly NOT recommend going to Firestone to have them change out your tires. Buy the tires if you have to then have a reputable local shop perform the work. I understand that one inept tech doesn't represent the whole bunch, but the company's reaction, corporate attitude, and response times regarding this matter have been completely unacceptable.

Thank you in advance to everyone and their advice!

Clipper Joe

Hello Koamileli,

If You Send Me A PM With Your Contact Phone#
And You Time Zone, I?ll Try And Call You.

Clipper Joe
ACOC#3749

Koamileli

rvguy101

if you can find a one ton ford truck. same Bolt Pattern. what year anything from what year your Clipper  is. to 87 would work on it. need to get the Coin Style Adapter Plate Machined. i have them on my old 77 dodge class c. as i don't own a clipper anymore.

Koamileli

My AC is a 1976.

I have recently read that using ford or chevy wheels can result in all of the weight being transferred directly to the lugnuts as the center hole on those wheels is larger? Sounds reasonable but I am by no means an expert.

I found a 1985 Dodge Ram 3500 flatbed with duals...It's a two hour drive each way but at this point it will be worth it if they fit. My mechanic thus far hasn't been able to find wheels that fit due to the offset. I'm taking one of the wheels currently on the clipper with me to the salvage yard to get eyeballs on both, with some good measurements.

I will report back with my findings.

rvguy101

the I have recently read that using ford or chevy wheels can result in all of the weight being transferred directly to the lugnuts as the center hole on those wheels is larger?. it not true. as long as they the same size you need you are ok. the 1985 Dodge Ram 3500 flatbed with duals i think they would work. the salvage yard, is also your friend always keep a eye there for ones. anything dodge ram 3500 with duals from 79 to 88 some 89 would work to. i say some 89, as dodge keep the same wheels in early 89 just be careful & make sure they fit & everthing is the same size.

rvguy101

also if you lived close to alaska. i have a set off a 87 dodge 3500 with duals. but i already have someone comeing to check them out today.