News:

The club is no longer active.  The forum will continue to be available for folks to find information and ask for help.
The tech forums are now open to all.  Other vintage Dodge-based class C owners welcome.

Main Menu

Sub floor replacement

Started by Morganaire, August 15, 2014, 08:56:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Morganaire

Has anyone had to replace any of the sub floor in their Clipper?  We just purchased a 1977 that has some soft areas around the back of the coach which will require pulling out at least the kitchen cabinet in order to get to the questionable floor.  I'm hoping it will just be a matter of cutting out the bad area and replacing it, but I'm not sure what kind of structure is below the plywood and if it might be necessary to add more steel framing to add support before the new wood goes in.  We've already started replacing all the wood in the entry step area, which was completely rotted out.  Also, are these motorhomes prone to any problems due to the vehicle frame not extending to the back of the coach body (ie:  sagging back end, etc?)

Thanks!

Sfine

How are you coming with the sub floor repair?
I too found some dry rot in the bathroom floor. Fortunately it was minimal and I didn't have to tear up cabinets, just pull the toilet, easy task.
The piece that I replaced looked as though it was replaced once before , so I was able to pull it out , use it as a template and lay the new piece down over the plywood. I never saw the framing,  there was little to screw, or nail to. So I used liquid nails all along the edges, floating any imperfections first with a bondo type product. Called PC woody, a two part component that dries hard, but does not crack, can actually be drilled into.
Anyway, just curious to what exactly under these floors.  Hope it's all coming along family smothly. You never know what you'll find in a 30 plus year old coach!!
Steve
1979 440 Dodge 21' Bunk      #3766
     Murphys, California