News:

This website's purpose is to share information with clipper owners and others who are interested in clippers or have old Dodge B300 chassis motorhomes.  In an attempt to share as much information as possible to as many people as possible PLEASE first post your questions in one of the forum boards rather than sending a PM to the webmaster or another member. This will allow other members to find information that may help solve their problem.  By PMing your questions, you decrease forum activity and create more work for active members who end up repeating information to individuals looking for the same information.  Thank you.

Main Menu

Cab & Stripes Painted

Started by Clipper Joe, July 27, 2013, 11:46:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Clipper Joe

Hello All,

Just Got Done With The Cab & Body Stripes, This 1977 Dodge Clipper From Past Owners, Was Not Taken Care Of As It Should Have Been.
They Are A Real Classic, & Should Be Passed On, They Were Really Really Built Well. ;D

This Was Sure A Task, A Lot Of Tape & Masking Off, To Get Stripes As Good As I Could, Used Pin Stripping 1/4" Blue Vinyl Tape Got @ Auto Paint Shop, & Scuffed Edges To Make Sharp Edges, & Also Used Frog Yellow Tape, Got @ Local Hardware, Seems To Work Well.

Give Yourself About A Week To Get This Done, It Seemed To Be Cheaper Than The $1200.00 Quote A Body Shop Gave Me >:(

Take Care,
Joe & Denise 

1977 Dodge 440  Rear Kitchen
Note: Clipper Sold: (Miss It)
ACOC#3749
Now Own 2002 Class A Diesel Pusher

LARRY RAY

Would like to do that Myself. Mine is not too bad, but needs attention. What colors and brand of paint did you use?  Thanks
ACOC# 3514
1978--821F-- ser#48851 440 Dodge  Built on a Dream--Still a Dream.  Let's all keep it that way.

Panel Pete

Joe,

That looks great! I'm also interested in what materials that you used, color names/codes, what brand of paint, where you bought it, what it cost, etc....... Inquiring minds want to know!

Pete
440 powered 77' Clipper, model 821FC

Nothing is fool proof to a talented fool.......

Clipper Joe

Hello LarryRay & Pete,

I Used Spray Can Enamel, The Cab Color Was A Pretty Close Match Due To Body Fiberglass Fading Over The Years.

I Buffed Body With Fiberglass Counter Top Polish Called Gel Coat, It Comes In Small Cans, You Can Get It Almost Anywhere. Walmart, Safeway's, any Ace Hardware.

1.) Cab Paint I Used Rust-oleum # 7789  Canvas White Enamel, Got It At Local Ace Hardware  Dales In Fremont, Ca

2.) Orange Stripe  Rust-oleum # 214084 Orange Enamel..

3.) Brown Stripe  Krylon # 52501 Indoor/ Outdoor Gloss Leather Brown..

The Cans Are About $5-6.00 Per Can Can't Remember Cans Used On Cab, put 2-3 Coats letting It Dry 30min. Between Coats, The Krylon Dries In 10 Minutes For Brown Stripes. Don't Put So Much It Will Run.

I Washed Clipper Real Good With Car Soap & Used Brown Scuff Pads To Get Any Rust Or Old Wax Etc.
Cleaned With Denatured Alcohol got a Small Can @ Lowes Paint Dept. Used Terry Cloth White Rags, Got @ Costco Best Price Pack Of 80 Rags, $20.00....

I Masked Body, Brown Stripes & Painted All Orange First, let Dry 24 Hrs.Then Used Frog Yellow Or Green Sensitive Paint Edge Lock Tape On Orange Stripes, Then Painted Brown Stripes.
Then Did Cab Stripes Orange Then Brown 24 Hrs Later. Make Sure Stripes Are Dry. Then Masked Both Orange & Brown Stripes Really Good. Masked All Windows, Body, Grille & Bumpers With Good Blue Tape & 18" Roll Paper From Lowes Paint Dept.

The key Was I Went To A Auto Paint Shop Got 1/4" Pin Stripping Tape 4 or 5 Rolls Cost About $8.00 Per Roll. Used It On 1/2" Stripes In between Brown Stripes. Used Scuff Pads To Lightly Scuff Edges Of Tape For Sharper Lines.

After All Stripes Were Painted Did Cab, You Need to Remove Mirrors, When I re-Installed Put On Small Rubber To Mounting Brackets, To Protect Paint.

I Think Cost Is About $200.00 Give Or Take. It It Mostly Labor & Time Don't Rush, Small Passes With Spray Paint. After A Few Months, I'll Polish It Out & Wax Really Good, Should Really Pop.....

Hope This Helps, Wife Approved So There... :-*

If You Have Any Questions Feel Free To Ask Or PM Me >> Thanks For Response..

Joe 

1977 Dodge 440  Rear Kitchen
Note: Clipper Sold: (Miss It)
ACOC#3749
Now Own 2002 Class A Diesel Pusher

Toedtoes

'75 American Clipper Dodge 360 821F; ACOC #3754

jeanlouise38

Hello, thanks for your help and all of the replies.
Finally came up with colours for the stripes and will now check out the white which is recommended.

The brown we used was Krylon Colour Max in Leather Brown Gloss - I believe one of your members tried that. We have used it on the cab and checked it with the house in both sun and shade - perfect. We purchased that in Home Depot.
The orange we found in Lowes - took a flyer on it and again, perfect both in the sun and shade.  It is Valspar Tractor and Implement paint - no colour listed but just right.  Both of these products are in spray cans.
Previous owner had taken a paint brush to the hood - even going over some of the stripes, so it was quite the job to sand, prime, tape and spray.  Needless to say, paint brush spray on all areas of the cab.  Have just finished the tedious job of upgrading the bathroom sink which was crazed and beaten up. Lots of filling (bondo) sanding and filling /sanding again. Then sprayed with acrylic for tubs - looks great.  Good job the husband has a strong arm! Will send pics when we are finally done.  Thanks again, Jean