News:

The club is no longer active.  The forum will continue to be available for folks to find information and ask for help.
The tech forums are now open to all.  Other vintage Dodge-based class C owners welcome.

Main Menu

Inverter

Started by John Eversoll, December 07, 2009, 09:54:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

John Eversoll

Hey Danny Boy,  How are ya. I was just geting ready to log out and get some sleep-wen I saw your reply.

I am sorry I didn't mean to start a contest...

I remember How Beautiful the state was when I was stationed there.

I really envy you!!!!

Take care Dan ,, John

USNRetired

Okay, I know this is an old thread, but maybe some of you like reading and re-reading old threads, especially when someone like me posts on them.

If I have this right, I can install one or two solar panels on the roof, run power lead down to a couple of deep cycle batteries (not house battery), from house battery to an inverter install a switch so that I can apply 110V to AC Outlets, then run my TV or Computer or music or incandescent lighting as long as I do not exceed the wattage rating of the inverter - right?  Also, I can run a trickle charger to the house battery and keep that battery refreshed and topped off for the 12V side of the house.  I fully intend to run reefer off of propane, but would be nice to run house furnace as well, so a need for 12V & propane.  For the Roof AC, I would need to run generator.

RIGHT?

Jim & Marina in Beautiful Oceanside, California
ACOC #3714
1977 Rear Kitchen Party Model (821FC)

Horst

I got lost/confused reading this:
"I can install one or two solar panels on the roof, run power lead down to a couple of deep cycle batteries (not house battery)".....

Are you saying you want to keep your single separate "house battery" "isolated" as you have it now, and then add two different batteries, which are to be charged from your roof solar system, and which will then provide juice to a nice inverter which will provide power to your coach 110?

If that's what I understand, that actually sounds pretty cool. Because, for an electrical Dunce like me, it would be easier to attempt that, than to attempt to integrate a solar system into the existing Clipper house electric.

My dunce question is, how/where to you power the house 110 from the new Inverter? Do you simply plug into the generator 110 distribution outlet??

Follow Up Question:
Or, do you simply plug in your shore power cord into the inverter??
Horst
ACOC  #2961
'75 Clipper 821F, Dodge 360........sold it in 2015.......now running a Ford F-250 towing a 2008 Layton trailer.

USNRetired

Hi Horst,
I agree about the lost/confusion bit.... 

However (comma)  I like the idea of a completely seperate/isolated system attached to the solar system.  I would think that the simplest setup would be to set it up so you can plug it in just like shore power.  That way you not only provide the AC with 110V Alternating Current, but you use the existing setup to recharge/charge the house battery.

My experience/knowledge/expertise deals with HF/UHF/vhf Transmitter/Receiver Maintenance-Adjustments along with support Comm Equipment.  I've learned enough where I can wire a house without burning it down or electrocuting anyone (myself especially).  But when it comes to DC - Solar Cells/Panels - Inverters - Converters ... I am lacking experience/knowledge and all that.  I know how to use a multi-meter and trace connectivity find shorts/opens,  8)

Do any of the Solar Power/DC Electrical Experts have any thoughts on this?
Jim & Marina in Beautiful Oceanside, California
ACOC #3714
1977 Rear Kitchen Party Model (821FC)

Horst

hmmm......
solar panel to controller
controller to batteries (two trojans in tandem)
batteries to Inverter (another controller or transfer switch here before inverter?)

then plug Clipper into Inverter for 110 plug juice, and to charge house system....

I'm missing something....I'm sure of it.....electrical dunce don't ya know......
Horst
ACOC  #2961
'75 Clipper 821F, Dodge 360........sold it in 2015.......now running a Ford F-250 towing a 2008 Layton trailer.