News:

This website's purpose is to share information with clipper owners and others who are interested in clippers or have old Dodge B300 chassis motorhomes.  In an attempt to share as much information as possible to as many people as possible PLEASE first post your questions in one of the forum boards rather than sending a PM to the webmaster or another member. This will allow other members to find information that may help solve their problem.  By PMing your questions, you decrease forum activity and create more work for active members who end up repeating information to individuals looking for the same information.  Thank you.

Main Menu

South Rolley lake, Alaska.

Started by prophetdaniel2, August 12, 2009, 12:00:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

prophetdaniel2

Turn left at the Nancy lake turnoff, mile marker 67 on the Parks Highway from Anchorage (by way of Wasilla) and proceed approx 6 miles  in.

Like most AK state parks, the parking suffers from poor grading, so be prepared to self level extensively. I was told in advance that the prime spots are: 20, 22, 24. the first two have direct access to the lake, while the third one requires a short, but poorly defined 100 yrd hike. I got the third and was happy for it (I am still limber enough for extreme off road hiking). I lost one shoe in the muskeg foraging for deadfall.
The rest of the 30-50 camp spots are in varying degrees of access to the lake. A few better than most.
over night fees are $10, fire wood and extra $5.
     The real tour-de-force is Tippecanoe's Canoe rental.

for what would have cost me $22, I got a 17 foot canoe with life vests for four, two paddles, and two additional cushions as seats for the whole day. note Tippecanoe's closes at 3 O'clock and sports an after hours drop-off set up, so in essence you can have the Canoe till the wee hours of the morning if you so desire. (AK=long, long days, with lots of daylight)
     However, S. Rolley lake is small. Small enough that my 7 year old did not tire of paddling the whole way!
     Also, don't bother Fishing, unless you are an experienced Northern Pike fisherman. Some joker got the bright idea to introduce pike into the lake system here in south central, and the pike have destroyed the once legendary Trout fishery. F&G are waiting for the Pike to die out to re-introduce  native Trout. It was an unusual feeling while canoeing to see such calm water with so many bugs dancing and see NO FISH RISE! :-\
    But, my kids loved it! so did others.

They particularly enjoyed canoeing through the shallow, lilly-pad areas close to shore

And also enjoyed Swimming for a short duration in the one sandy shallow area near Tippecanoe's

My kids were undaunted by my instance that there were no fish we were set up to catch.

In all, though I felt mediocre about the scenery and fishing conditions, S. rolley received the Blakely Boys seal of approval

-D

John Eversoll

Dan, You have a very good lookin group there!!!
Mine are all grown and gone- except the daughter.
Son lives in Va. and I haven't seen him in 5 yrs.
He doesn't even call any more.
Just hang on to those kids as long as you can.
My daughter on the other hand is always ready to jump into something with me.
She was so enerjetic when I suggested tearing the motor down.
I had to keep reminding her to slow down and learn while you are doing.
Keep those pics coming ya never know Ya might have a bunch of Clippers at your door some day.  Take care my friend. John E.

prophetdaniel2

John,
     He WILL call......in time.
I am hoping these trips and the Clipper will help build those indelible memories I never had the opportunity for.
-D

John Eversoll