News:

This website's purpose is to share information with clipper owners and others who are interested in clippers or have old Dodge B300 chassis motorhomes.  In an attempt to share as much information as possible to as many people as possible PLEASE first post your questions in one of the forum boards rather than sending a PM to the webmaster or another member. This will allow other members to find information that may help solve their problem.  By PMing your questions, you decrease forum activity and create more work for active members who end up repeating information to individuals looking for the same information.  Thank you.

Main Menu

Dodge engine identification

Started by Uncle Leroy, November 25, 2001, 12:00:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Uncle Leroy

It is my understanding that Dodge supplied both 360 and 440 c.i.d. engines for American Clippers.  How can these be destinguished?

Conrad

Size...  geez that was too easy.  Actually, the Vehicle Identification Number (VIN) would be an excellent place to start if you can find it.  Most if not all newer vehicles have the VIN's stamped at the bottom of the drivers side dash, visible from outside the window.  Older vehicles can have them in the door jambs or other places.  I believe that one can find reportable accidents on VIN's via the web, I am not positive on that but it is worth looking into. 2 bbl or 4bbl (barrel) carb?  A 360 could have either, but a 440 would only have a 4 bbl.

tomfridley

hi conrad-
it is very easy to determine if you have a 360cid or a 440cid.
the 360 distributor is at the rear of the engine just behind the intake manifold.
on the 440, the distributor is at the right front of the engine next to the alternator.
also, the engine block casting number located near the freeze plugs will have a seven digit number followed by a dash[-] and the next three digits will be the cubic inch displacement. [360] or [440].
the remaining digit followed by a dash is usually a 1 ,or 7.  these are standard duty engines as you will find in a clipper.
if you encounter a seven digit - 440-3 , the three indicates a heavy-duty engine with exhaust valve rotators and water-heated intake manifold.
the dash three is an industrial application engine and most likely found in larger trucks.
i hope this information helps.
sincerely, tom fridley

Conrad

Tom, thought I was seeing double, then triple, and by god, quadruple...  I am sure that John will appreciate your answer better than mine.  My engine is a 360 and I have never seen a 440, although I hear a few exist in these parts  

Uncle Leroy

Thank you!!  It is indeed a 440 c.i.d., as I had expected after watching the first tank of gas disappear in record time.  Hopefully, a careful tune-up will help some, as will a new thermostat. (Isn't that thermostat housing fun to work on??)
--John D.

Horst

You want the best tip for improving mileage on a Clipper?
Slow down.
In a 440, if you drive 65, you'll be lucky to get 7, with 6 (or less) not uncommon.

If you drive 55 - you'll likely  almost 8, maybe a bit better if you're light and well tuned.

In my 75' 360, I'm overloaded by about 700lbs when fully packed with family and gear. I've done many mileage tests - at 65mph (which I do not like to drive for many reasons) I get well under 8mpg.
At 55, I get almost 10. One time I got 10.4 mpg going to LA down Highway 5 in the middle of the night - and I drove about 53mph - no traffic - just crusing.
Horst
ACOC  #2961
'75 Clipper 821F, Dodge 360........sold it in 2015.......now running a Ford F-250 towing a 2008 Layton trailer.