News:

The club is no longer active.  The forum will continue to be available for folks to find information and ask for help.
The tech forums are now open to all.  Other vintage Dodge-based class C owners welcome.

Main Menu

Post subject: Hurricane Fred " Glad to Hear form you!

Started by Rodney, August 26, 2005, 06:08:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rodney

Andy Illes
Posted: Fri Aug 26, 2005 1:20 am  

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Well folks... happy news. American Clippers are hurricane-proof.... at least Fred is..... HEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE That is.... except for what I think is onna the (leaky) ladder mounts.... which basically results in a VERY wet rear wall in the bathroom.... I mean, like, think Niagara Falls here!

Oh well, nothing to do 'till this thing blows out tomorrow (today) morning.

Thanks for alla PM/email well wishes!

Thankfully, this one landed 150 mi to the south... below Ft. Lauderdale.. they really got pounded... 80-90mph!! All I got here is a lotta rain.... LOTTA rain, but no wind to speak of. Few gusts to maybe 40mph... still getting bursts of rain from the feeder-bands, but only little wind gusts now (3:30 AM). No lightning at all. Been out with the horses all night to keep 'em calm, so just stayed out here in Fred (has his own "stall" at the end of the barn, though just overhead cover... rain drives in). Gave new meaning to those "If this is a rockin', don't come a knockin'" bumper stickers, lol. Actually, the horsies took it better than me... most of 'em snoozing right through it all... a few looking around, wondering what the pasture'll taste like inna morning.... and why I'm out here.

How'd yours make out, Rasta? Same?

Few of you "wrong coast" folks mentioned you're glad you don't get these things.... but hey.... I'll take hurricanes. At least our dirt doesn't move around like y'all's does out there! I suggest you folks buy all the San Andreas land you can possibly get your hands on.... cuz it's gonna be prime waterfront soon, when y'all wind up bobbing out to Hawaii....  

One sortta comforting thought.... Katrina may nail Houston... but no BigRay... you may NOT stuff the cute little kid in your leaks... no, no, no, NOOO!!! Don't they have child protection agencies out there???

Again, thanks for the well wishes, doin' fine....    

I was hoping you were OK there Fred & Jaws {oh and you to Andy} :D
I didn't  want to hi jack the thread you posted your message so I started this one here.
Wouldn't it be nice to have another place on the Clipper site to post messages like this to just check with other members and shoot the shi$%
about things that don't really fit in the other categories?
When we had the news on last night I was hoping you were north enough to be out of the path of the storm.
To bad you couldn't send a little of that rain this way!! sure is dry on the west coast.
oh and BTW I haven't seen {of felt} an earthquake in central Oregon in.. Well all of my life!! Sure maybe Calif. and a few north but none hear so Quit making it sound so bad out West Andy {as I am knocking on wood}.
take care and get Fred dried out.
Rodney

Rodney

I was setting out on our back deck with my morning cup of coffee to a beautiful sunrise and thought I would share it with you Andy... Have you seen the sun lately? 8)
It came up once again here in the West. :o

Later Gator!!

Andy Illes

Cool sunrise buddy... whatta thing to savor that coffee to, huh?  I couldn't figure out what sunrise pic, or CB antenna, Susan was talking about... hadn't seen this post.  We're blessed with gorgeous sunrises/sets here too, I'll snap a few pics, though without mountains inna background... unless you wanna include the landfills.  When I lived down in Ft. Lauderdale, I would go for pre-sunrise runs on the beach, and plop down at a fave outdoor beach-front cafe for coffee, donuts and morning paper.. watch the sunrises.  Usually just AMAZING... lottsa times, a storm'd be brewing offshore somewhere, lightning up in the clouds... turning everything silver.... dawn starting under and around.... sigh.  Miss those runs.

Cal people just tease me so much about hurricanes here, I can never resist a good earthquake dig.   But know what?  Think about it.  Bettcha land along that San Andreas fault's worthless..... buy, say a 10 acre strip straddling it... think of alla DOUBLE waterfront you'd have after Cal floats off into the sunset... just think what ocean-front lots are going for out there these days.... :lol:

Rodney

Yes I bet you have some awsome Atantic sunrises with all of the weather you all seem to get.
I took this picture a few days before the Clipper picture. I think this one came out special. you have to ignore my old 48 dodge truck and some of my other projects.  :D

anyone else is welcome to post there sunset /  rise pictues hear if you like

Rodney

Andy Illes

Hey Rodney... you're asking about a "Shoot The Breeze" forum.  Ain't gonna happen here, I don't think.  I still haven't even heard back from whoever the webmaster is now about a pretty important issue... I posted and also sent an email to "Webmaster".  I do like your idea, that would be neat to have, since we do tend get off topic a lot, huh?

One thing we could do on our own is start a Clipper forum on AOL, and also a chatroom.... shoot the breeze "real time", like IMs.  We could post it as a "sticky" here, let folks know...  can join in if they wanna.  I think anyone can get into those through AOL.com, whether AOL members or not.... I could find out.

Whaddaya think?

Rodney

Quote from: "Andy Illes"Hey Rodney... you're asking about a "Shoot The Breeze" forum.  Ain't gonna happen here, I don't think.  I still haven't even heard back from whoever the webmaster is now about a pretty important issue... I posted and also sent an email to "Webmaster".  I do like your idea, that would be neat to have, since we do tend get off topic a lot, huh?

One thing we could do on our own is start a Clipper forum on AOL, and also a chatroom.... shoot the breeze "real time", like IMs.  We could post it as a "sticky" here, let folks know...  can join in if they wanna.  I think anyone can get into those through AOL.com, whether AOL members or not.... I could find out.

Whaddaya think?

That is a good Idea. It's to bad we can't keep it hear thou, I like the though of posting the chat since a lot of us are not able to be on line at the same time. and I like to go back and read previous post to know the full content of the conversation. The IM thing is good but I get a little lost at time to what is going on?
I am pretty active on another site with has a forum set up for what we are discussing and it is a few busy forum there are lots of good ideas and thoughts throw around from so may different subjects. It's a fun place to hang out.
I am going to keep using the Greeting forum for this until I get heat for doing this. so keep you eye on it if you want. I don't see any harm in doing this do you?

and by the way Where's the Web Master??

Andy Illes

Personally, I don't see any "harm" in shooting the breeze here at all.  The board's not that active, and doesn't have any particular purpose anyway, like the tech or tips ones.... so why not?  But if anyone DOES have any kind of problem with it at all.... nobody would feel hurt if you said so.  A lot of y'all have been here a LOT longer than Rodney or I... it's really your board, and you're sure perfectly entitled to correct us.

Forums are ok, but I like chatrooms just cuz of the instant feedback, and you get a lotta ideas going at once.  Just seems it'd be fun.

Worried about Big Ray... he has kin in/around New Orleans, and the little blow we hosted here the other day's turned into a Cat 5 monster heading right toward the Big Easy.

Rodney

Me neither Andy,
until I hear different I will use this tread for the BS section.
Yes Ray may be dealing with Katrina {I think that's the name of the Hurracane} The big easy my not be so easy come tomorow. I don't know how people can live in an area where that kind of doom could be on there door step and any time? It's funny how if you a person is raised around different kinds of nature that it is part of life {an ugly part IMHO} and they deal with it and life does go on.
I sure wouldn't want to pay their home owners insurance in that part of the country. mine is high enough. I had get flood insurance before the mortgage company would approve the loan. HA HA the only way it would ever flood where my house is if the pacific did come inland a couple hundred miles. And that just an't going to happen in my lifetime {I hope} :shock:
A little prayer for Big Ray and his family.
Rodney

terry and karen conkle

I see here in the June-July-August Clipper Journal listed a new web-master, Kevin Ewert, they refer to him as "new young blood".
I sometime wonder why we never see any of the club officers adding their two cents to any of the conversations that are going on in this site? What's your take on my observation?

Terry

bigray

Thanks alot Andy.........all my in-laws from New Orleans are at my house. Thanks for sending that monster my way! I owe you one!

Conrad

Big Ray, glad to hear that your family is safe.  I have been looking at the videos of the wreakage.  Man, what a mess!  Hard to believe the power of Mother Nature when she is having a tantrum.

Horst

To Terry and karen
Believe it or not - there are  people in the ACOC who do not have a computer, let alone net access.
Now this is changing slowly but surely as the demographic make-up of the ACOC changes.

And, there are some who have computers/net access - but don't use it.

Years ago when phones first became wide spread - there were  people who simply didn't like talking on the phone - just  like there are people today who don't like communicating via email.

Anyways - I can say with confidence that the level of interest and usage of the ACOC web site has increased tremendously since I was the web master many years ago. The quality and quantity of information has increased as well - so I'm stoked.
Horst
ACOC  #2961
'75 Clipper 821F, Dodge 360........sold it in 2015.......now running a Ford F-250 towing a 2008 Layton trailer.

Rodney

Hi
I am glad to hear that Big ray and his family is hi and dry.
thanks for the input Horst it's nice to hear some of the past history of this site and the input that is happening now.

from a previous post in another thread I am afraid to say much more.
It is nice to feel there are people who haven't ever met in person who care and worry about other people with the same intrests. sometimes our subject in posts get off track and don't even pertain to Clippering but we are only human and for me anyway other questions come up so I think out loud. I have enjoyed this site very much but sure don't want to offend anyone by getting off track of he subjects. If I find something going where I don't want to go I simply click that little box in the upper right corner of the screen.. poof gone
I enjoy what this site has to offer and what makes the site are the people that are using it.
Rodney

Rastaman

I am with you Rodney, I am a member of several internet groups....and I tend to treat them as I would when I go to my favorite Chinese buffet....If I see something I dont like (or have an intrest in)I simply move on to the next dish...I dont complain to the chef. As ,obviously someone else might enjoy it......
works for me!
rasta
p.s. another way is to start the subjet with O/T  "of topic"....however the straying off topic usually starts as he thread continues.....which is fine with me... its natrual..........isnt it? :?

Andy Illes

Well DUH guys.  Something none of us "heavy" - and wordy - users of these forums thought about..... these things get transcribed and then published in the newsletters.   So it's not just a question of clicking past some post we're not interested in... we're running up work/costs.

That's why we got "that" response, Rodney.