News:

This website's purpose is to share information with clipper owners and others who are interested in clippers or have old Dodge B300 chassis motorhomes.  In an attempt to share as much information as possible to as many people as possible PLEASE first post your questions in one of the forum boards rather than sending a PM to the webmaster or another member. This will allow other members to find information that may help solve their problem.  By PMing your questions, you decrease forum activity and create more work for active members who end up repeating information to individuals looking for the same information.  Thank you.

Main Menu

Disinfecting the Water System

Started by Toedtoes, September 27, 2013, 07:06:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Toedtoes

I found this easy way to disinfect the water system in an RV.  The usual way requires using bleach and having to flush out the tanks multiple times to make sure you get the bleach out of everything.  This way is much easier and can be done easily before or after a trip.

First, pick up some pool chlorinating granules.  I got the Kem-Tek 2814-6 Pool and Spa All-in-One Chlorinating Granules in a 2lb bottle.  This will be more than you will EVER need (so anyone going to the National Rally in October, if you bring a container, I'll give you a bunch of my granules).

Now for the process:

Empty your fresh water and hot water tanks.  Now, start filling your fresh water tank.  Once you get a bit of water in there (but not filled), pour one tablespoon of the granules into the intake hole of the fresh water tank.  Fill the tank and let it sit for a couple hours to overnight.

Now, turn on your water pump and turn on one faucet at a time.  For each faucet, turn on first the cold water, turn it off, then turn on the hot water (even if the heater isn't running).  Continue rotating through all the faucets (cold and hot separately) until your fresh water tank is emptied.

Drain your grey water.

If your tanks are really icky, you can do the above a couple times, but once is usually OK for general disinfecting.

Now, fill your tank with fresh water and off you go.  If there is any of the chlorine in the tank, it won't be enough to be a problem.  You'll drink more of the chlorine simply swimming in a pool or even drinking tap water (this is the same chlorination stuff your city water uses).

Some folks will put a tiny bit of the granules in their water with each fill.  I don't bother.

When I got my travel trailer, my tank water was really stale smelling and tasting.  I did one round of this disinfecting and it cleared everything up nicely.  I normally do a disinfecting before my first outing of the year and then again if the water starts tasting a bit stale.  I always empty my fresh water tank after each trip.
'75 American Clipper Dodge 360 821F; ACOC #3754