News:

The club is no longer active.  The forum will continue to be available for folks to find information and ask for help.
The tech forums are now open to all.  Other vintage Dodge-based class C owners welcome.

Main Menu

Meter

Started by hotrod2b, February 04, 2004, 07:35:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

hotrod2b

Newbe here.  Thanx to Rich I found the propane tank.  Next ? is there is a panel above the fridge (sk model) that meters the batter condition and status of water tanks.  When I plug in to external power I can check the batter condition but nothing else seems to work and/or light up.  Am I missing something?    

uncleleroy

ronandcarmen,  The readout panel above the frig is not related to your 30 amp A/C system - only to the 12 volt coach system.  When you press the toggle switch to the left ("read") the two meters should register the state of the coach battery charge, and the level of fresh water in the tank under the bench behind the driver's seat.  The little lights that indicate low water in the battery, and full holding tanks, should light up on their own when conditions warrant.
  Pushing the toggle to the right should start the water pump which you need when not hooked up to a campsite pressure system.  
  You need an owner's manual for your rig.  If you don't have one, I could send you copies of the pages I have found to be essential information.  An owner from B.C. did this for me, so I'd be glad to pass on the favor.  Good luck.   - uncleleroy

hotrod2b

Uncleleroy...hey you guys are great!  I have found out more about my new toy then I can imagine.  I have it hooked up to the outside plug but nothing seems to register unless I flip to the battery monitor as you suggested.  I also saw a post you put on the panel of fuses, that helped.  If you could forward a copy of the manuel that would be great.  You can send it to hotrod2b@hotmail.com if that works for you.  If not let me know.  Thanx again and I think we will be joining the club and someday able to thank you all in person.

<derek>

I just bought a 1977 ac today and boy am I excited. It is the rear kitchen model 21ft. I am also in need of an owners manual. If you can help me out I would appreciate it and you can send it to dntpeters@sbcglobal.net. Oh and by the way I paid $900.00 for it!! It needs a little tlc but nothing major. Do you think I got a good deal?
                 Thanks,
                          Derek

handyman

If it runs you stole it congrates you have the best there is  

Horst

$900 - sounds like a good deal.
But - on occasion one runs into a motorhome for that price that is NOT worth $900 - because of the costs associated with getting the unit road worthy and relatively safe. In some instances you're better off spending 5,000-7,000 for a cleaner Clipper.

I have seen a Clipper once before that I would not pay $900 for - did the math - and it would have cost about 5,000 to get it road worthy - and even then - there would still be cosmetic issues, etc.

But, like Jim said - if it's running, and not rotted out, and in any kind of reasonable shape - you likely got a great deal. Just be sure to check out the age of your tires - don't judge a tire by how much tread there is left - look at the DOT production date - if they're more than 6 years old - I'd replace them pronto.
Horst
ACOC  #2961
'75 Clipper 821F, Dodge 360........sold it in 2015.......now running a Ford F-250 towing a 2008 Layton trailer.

<derek>

Thanks for the input. I have ran in to a problem. For some reason I can't get the engine to turn over. I can hear the silenoid engaging but it doesn't seem to get power to the starter. Has anyone had this problem before? I had it running when I went and got it and drove it home and it ran great but now there is a problem. I am beginning to wonder if it was such a great deal or not. I am friends with who I got it from and there wouldn't be a problem returning it since I haven't paid for it yet but I just don't know what to do. My friends dad bought it from someone in Oklahoma last September so they haven't been able to see if there were any problems with it. If anyone can help I would appreciate it.
Thanks,
Derek

handyman

Well one of two things eather the motor froze or it's the starter try turning the engine over by hand I know this is a real pain but even a tiny bit will do, sometimes the starter hits a tooth on the fly wheel just right and wont engage also try rapping on the side of the starter with a rubber or plastic hammer while someone turns the key alot of times the starter just sticks  

<Derek>

I was able to use a screw driver and jump across the two bolts on the starter and it started turning over so I know it isn't froze up. I just wonder if maybe the silenoid is bad. Any thought on that?
Thanks,
Derek

cat

Could be the transmission neutral switch is kaput.  Try running a jumper wire from the starter relay (bottom terminal of the starter relay)to a good ground.  Make darn sure the transmission is in PARK or NEUTRAL and try starting the engine.  This procedure disables the neutral switch and allows the engine to be started in any drive position.  You can check for continuity at the switch itself located on the bottom left of the transmission.  Pull the wire connector off of the switch and run a contiuity light from the switch to the side of the transmission.  With the transmission in neutral or park, the light should be ON.  Keep your foot on the brake, just in case.

<Derek>

It was the transmission neutral switch, thanks, but now it does'nt seem to want to fire when I turn it over. It just keeps turning over but doesn't start. It is getting gas and I even squirted starting fluid in the carb with no results what so ever. I have replaced the spark plugs, rotor and coil but it hasn't changed a bit. Any suggestions?
Thanks,
Derek

cat

Determine if you have "fire".  Pull a plug wire off a spark plug, stick a screwdriver in the terminal end and touch ground to see if you've got a spark.  Watch that starting fluid with the air cleaner off.  If the engine backfires you may experience a mighty flash coming out of the carb.  Look down the throat of the carb. with the choke and secondaries in the open position and you should be able to see evidence of gas when you gently work the throttle to an open position.  If it's got gas and spark it should start since nothing major happened since it last ran.  Of course, it could be a faulty ballast resistor.....  There're pretty cheap and you could try that since you've replaced all the other stuff.

Tyler Hoodenpyle

yeah, make sure the first thing you outfit your rig with is a fire extinguisher, especially with the starting fluid!

Tyler