News:

The club is no longer active.  The forum will continue to be available for folks to find information and ask for help.
The tech forums are now open to all.  Other vintage Dodge-based class C owners welcome.

Main Menu

Rear Seat Belts and Child Safety

Started by Chameleon, February 20, 2003, 12:09:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chameleon

I have a 1978 Clipper - sleeps four, right.  The only seat belts in the RV are for the two front seats in the cab.  Why sleep four when you can only travel safely with two??

SOooOOOoo, has anyone else modified there RV to accomodate for seat belts in the coach??  Where are the best points to anchor?  I have a child and an infant and am not keen on the idea of traveling without them being restrained.  Please advise.  Thanks again!  

~Robert McCormick

handyman

check back in the older forms and theres several places that will give the anser

<Charlie>

I just bought a 1979 side kitchen that has seat belts installed on both sides of the dinette for a total of 4 sets.  If you send me your email address I can take some digital photos and send them to you if this would help.
Charlie at:  NetConnected@hotmail.com

Chameleon

Thanks Jim for the reply.  I went as far back as I could and only found one reference to seat belts.  Unfortunately, it didn't offer a lot in the way of specifics....did I miss something?  

~Robert McCormick

handyman

no you didn't miss it they delete them after so long but you can get copys by buying them through the club I think its $70. for all the tech forms from the beginning of the club its well worth it Iv got to buy it to.  

Chameleon

Ok - I was planning to buy the back copies anyways, so that should work.  Thanks again for  your help.  

Horst

It depends on what floor plan you have.
Tell us what you have (go to the home page of this site and look at the Floorplans page) and there are several ways to install seat belts.

I did it on my rig, on my rollover couch and I've seen several other methods in dinettes, barrel chairs, etc.
Horst
ACOC  #2961
'75 Clipper 821F, Dodge 360........sold it in 2015.......now running a Ford F-250 towing a 2008 Layton trailer.

Chameleon

Hello Horst,

Thank your for your reply.  I have the '78 party model with the rear kitch and bathroom, and the two swivel chairs midship.  

Horst

On the swivel chairs, you can mount some seat belts from within the storage compartment and have the belts come up to the swivel chairs. Takes a bit of drilling, and some hardware (2 inch bolts, buts, locking washers, etc.) and some seat belts from any auto  parts store.
Similar can be done in the dinette area, although it's difficult  to find a suitable place to mount the belts in the area where our water tank is (behind driver seat) without some metal drilling.
Hope this helps.
Horst
ACOC  #2961
'75 Clipper 821F, Dodge 360........sold it in 2015.......now running a Ford F-250 towing a 2008 Layton trailer.

Shayne

In the tech forum, I bumped the post I made when the message forums were first opened up.  I gave links to all the past tech info that we have available on the web.  Nothing was deleted... it's just that the information posted previous to the message forums is a bit harder to find.. one reason that I upgraded to the message board format  
Shayne Barr
ACOC #3146

Chameleon

Thanks for your help in this matter.  I've got some seat belts on the way and I'm going to have to get creative in putting some of Horst's ideas to work.  Hope I can find sufficient anchor points in these areas.  I'll let you know.  

KC

I had the same question, thanks for the info. Will a car dealer or shop install the seatbelts (any recommendations in N. Cal)? Or is it a "do-it-yourself" project because of the liability? Thanks