News:

The club is no longer active.  The forum will continue to be available for folks to find information and ask for help.
The tech forums are now open to all.  Other vintage Dodge-based class C owners welcome.

Main Menu

Eliminating Cab A/C

Started by LarryAlida, September 30, 2002, 04:24:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LarryAlida

Shayne.Did you have any luck with the idler pulley you needed to complete the job?

Shayne

I talked to one of our members about it.  I fail to remember his name at the moment..  I'm terrible with names, sorry. He's a Dodge parts guy and said that a pully didn't exist to do that.  But said that the pully on the compressor is permanently lubricated and could just be left in place to freewheel.  So far no problems other than the big beasty compressor still being in the way...

We drove out to Fresno a couple weeks ago.  It wasn't REALLY hot, but it was warm (low 90's).  Also go over Pacheco Pass which is a bit of a climb. It did great and didn't seem to heat up like it did when the A/C condensor was out front...  
Shayne Barr
ACOC #3146

tomfridley

hello shayne-

i talked with you about the a/c compressor removal at the petaluma rally.

the information we discussed applies to the factory installed rv-2 compressor used on clippers. there is still no retro-fit pulley i am aware of to change to a non-air configuration.

just a a safety precaution, i would suggest the a/c clutch power wire be disconnected to prevent an accidental activation.

this connector is located about 6 inches from the clutch coil.

the a/c system does have a low-pressure cut off switch to prevent the clutch from being engaged if the freon level is too low, but disconnect it just to be sure.

it is true, the clutch hub bearing is lifetime lubricated and will perform perfectly as an idler pulley when left as is.

Shayne

Thanks Tom, and yes, I did disconnect the A/C clutch wire  
Shayne Barr
ACOC #3146

LarryAlida

Shayne. Thank you for the info on the a/c.My a/c now serves as an idler pulley.The clutch wire is disconnected also.I'm still looking for the Idler brkt.To replace the a/c.Larry.