News:

The club is no longer active.  The forum will continue to be available for folks to find information and ask for help.
The tech forums are now open to all.  Other vintage Dodge-based class C owners welcome.

Main Menu

Why should I buy an American Clipper?

Started by Jemspa, January 30, 2002, 10:23:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jemspa

I have never seriously considered buying an RV before, certainly not a big one, but a neighbor is selling his AC and now I am intrigued.  We like to camp and be outdoors but haven't done it much lately. I can see that having a camper might make it easier.  We are attracted to the AC's small size.  We don't much care for those huge, noisey RV's.  We'd like to camp in quiet, out of the way places, as well as more popular ones. Is that possible with an AC? Do we have to go to RV parks only?  I can see from this web site that AC owners are enthusiastic.  What are the joys of having an AC?  Any drawbacks?  What particular questions should I ask the owner?  Thanks in advance for any replies.

egibbons

All I can tell you is that the AC is a well built unit. My 21' rear kitchen model is laid out well and very usable. The appeal to me is the floorplan and fiberglass construction. It is a robust unit with a unique history. Drawbacks? Well, they're old, so they require maintenance. They're heavy and get poor gas mileage, but so do other RVs. The fact is though that I don't think you'll find a better support group for any RV this old. I'd recommend checking the unit out real well and have a good meechanic look over the drive train. If it looks good, buy it and join the ACOC.

Eric #3021

junebob

REPLY TO "NEWBIE" Regarding American Clippers.This R.V. is One of the best designed and built R.V.s ever offered to the public. As to design it was the most attractive.[opinion], in its day. And is still As nice looking as any Mini Motor Home you see on the road today.At 21 ft. its interior design and construction is as well laid out from a stand point of usable space and esthetics as any 24 ft class C coach, old or new on the mkt, and better than most. The Hand laid Fibre glass shell is thicker,[Approx 1/4inch to 3/8inch]Than any new coach, and most, if not all, earlier brands coaches. The American Clipper shell design gives you a one piece top, each side is one piece, the front and back sections are one piece.Which insures no leakage or section seperation  as in most coaches old or new.If you have proper sealing around your roof vents and air conditioner etc.The coach will never leak.Unlike practically all other mini motor homes . The clipper shell is attached to a complete self contained framed interior.The shell its self is a self contained outer structure.Other brand Mini Motor homes, old or new, practically with out exception Attach the outer skin , to the house framing in comparitevly thin sheets.In the years of the Clipper manufacture, [Approx 1973 to 1980]The majority of the other  manufacturers used aluminum sheeting, or overlapping strips.This metal outer shell all to often was in contact with steel parts or screws resulting in electralasis with tended to rot out the aluminum skin.Additionally this extremely thin ,low grade,[soft] skin was easily cut or torn. The newer S.O.B.[Some Other Brand]coaches  use fibre glass or equevilent marerials . But they are still comparitevly  thin .The Clipper  has safety glass windws all thru the coach.Other older units often do not.[New units??] The clipper uses the superior and higher priced lourvered windows like you find on the newer luxury coaches.The Clipper's Sub floor is covered on both sides with a galanized steel sheeting. Few if any other manufacturers went to that extent in those years.The appliances and accessories were supiorior for their day. And still serve well.The Dodge [the principal]chassis ,also the Chev Chassis Were then ,and remain, excellent units.Each having its advantages and or problems ,based on individual experience one over the other. Since the banning of asbestis in brake shoes. the Chevs larger brake surfaces have given Chev better braking. However it is now possable to get the CARBON METALIC brake shoe and caliper linings for your Dodge. [Chev ??]. Which will improve your Mopars stopping ability tremendously. The Dodge Chassis Clippers [Chevs??], came from the factory with a rear frame extension that was only intended to support the rear of the coach.It never was intended to, or will it stand up to any extensive towing.As has been mentioned by a lot of members. these are old vehicles, And as such can be maintenance hogs, depending on previous care and mileage.But in all fairness R.V.s in general,new or old, are maintanence hogs, and expensive to operate.There is no doubt in my mind that our American Clipper's have among the best information and experience resources available . With the clubs back news letters backed by the NEWS LETTER INDEX ,and the more recent Web Sight capability and the clubs own CLIPPER STORE. ANY THING that can happen to these Clippers HAS happened , And the problems and repairs are documented and indexed .Also particularly, with the Web sight, the new coach upgrades and replacement parts information and components provided by members are at our finger tips....In short, if you want a mini R.V. that is of superior construction ,strong, reliable, well set up,is easy to manuever in camp sights or parking lots, Plenty of power,[even the 360 engines]to tow your toy's,[ with a frame upgrade],Fun ,and will consistantly draw admiration and enquiry's at camp grounds. Get yourself an AMERICAN CLIPPER> As to what to have your Mechanic Check before you buy, I would Suggest. First - all available maintenance and parts records and receipts,[including coach].These can help you determine the following. ...The proper heavy duty fan clutch[Motor home or high performance specific],...Proper heavy duty motor home water pump,...3 or 4 tube radiator, The proper 11/2 inch opening thermostat,...Appliances age or condition,..History of Maintenance frequency.
-Oil seals rear axles[especually Dodge], ...Drain and check differentual oil for metal ,...Drain and check transmission fluid for contaminents,burnt smell or brown coloration[heat]replace with new fluid,...Engine oil condition, if oil is new check for metal contamination,...Power steering pump and unit-check fluid level color, smell,leakage,...Compression check,...Coolant any oil,rust,creamy off white to brown foam.,.. oil and air filters... Tires and Wheels- wear, cracks trueness,balance, proper wheels ,[older coaches have slightly different wheels than newer onesApprox 1976 & older??]and they quite often get mixed some where along the line. The best way to spot this is the current after market chrome wheel covers are to deep to fit down snuggly against the rim of the older style wheels....Ripples in side wall fibre glass. Generally caused by rear frame extension having been subject to to much weight. Generally repaired by lifting rear frame extension back up to straight with frame and reeinforcing it.Whell alignment ,brake condition and adjustmentetc. IF POSSABLE I strongly reccomend you borrow the sellers back news letters and web sight information for the use of the mechanic you select to check out the rig.In case he/she is not already Clipper smart this information could be very valuable. Good Luck .Bob Chaney #2626