News:

This website's purpose is to share information with clipper owners and others who are interested in clippers or have old Dodge B300 chassis motorhomes.  In an attempt to share as much information as possible to as many people as possible PLEASE first post your questions in one of the forum boards rather than sending a PM to the webmaster or another member. This will allow other members to find information that may help solve their problem.  By PMing your questions, you decrease forum activity and create more work for active members who end up repeating information to individuals looking for the same information.  Thank you.

Main Menu

Carpets for the drivers cab and doghouse in my 78 Dodge 440 rear door clipper

Started by jeanlouise38, April 21, 2014, 03:55:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jeanlouise38

Does anyone know where to buy good, easy to install carpeting for the drivers cab area of my 78 Dodge 440, rear door clipper?
I would love to find pre-cut pieces - seems an impossible dream! Any ideas would be welcome, name of suppliers appreciated.
Thanks, Jean

Clipper Joe

Hello Jean,

Long Time No See :)

I Have Not Done My Clipper Yet, Because I Want To Install New Arm Rests On Seats, & Make Them More Adjustable, Maybe Out Of A Caravan Style.

The Guy Who Did All My Seats & Valances In Clipper Has A Shop In San Jose California. He Use To Work For Kozy Car Back In The 1970-80, The Modified Dodge & Chevy Vans.

He Will Be The One That I Use When I Do Seats, Floor Carpet & Re-Do Doghouse.

He Uses Regular Small Pile Carpet From Home Depot, That You Use In Your House, Mostly Stain Master Carpet.

You Can Also Use Marine Carpet That You Can Buy From Cabela's  At Cabelas.com.
You Need To Know How Many Yards To Buy. They Have A Few Colors.

I Would After You Have The Old Carpet & Pad Out, That You Install Heat & Sound Deading Foil Back Installation On Floor First, To Keep Road Noise Out & Keep Floor Cool.

Also What State Are You In?

Hope This Helps.

Joe & Denise
ACOC#3749
1977 Dodge 440  Rear Kitchen
Note: Clipper Sold: (Miss It)
ACOC#3749
Now Own 2002 Class A Diesel Pusher

jeanlouise38

Thanks for your reply Joe & Denise.

I am in British Columbia, Canada, however, so close to the Washington border - 5 minutes away, that I have a mail service in Blaine, WA.
We do have a Home Depot near us, so will check the carpet out there. I have calculated the yardage and my son can install it - was just hoping to save him some time!
We will go to our local RV dealer to check out the heat and sound insulation to see if we can get it locally - if not, will try to get it on-line. Will definitely check out your guy in San Jose.

Our old girl was in sorry shape when we bought her and had that lovely fungus smell - all cured now as the husband removed all of the cabinets and tore up the floor in the kitchen and bathroom down to the metal and replaced it with new plywood. We have new vinyl for those areas - the rest of the house is not bad, vinyl up to the cab. We bought a cover for her and she survived our very wet winter. He also redid the roof vents as someone had sealed the vents with caulking, so no water runaway - except for dripping inside the roof in the bathroom. That's the next job!

Appreciate your help and for taking time to answer me. I will let you know how we get on.  Thanks again,  Jean

caninecaravan

I bought carpet and heat shield material from a place called Stock Interiors in Georgia. The guy new what I had as soon as I said I had an American Clipper. He sent me the pieces which you have to let sit for 24 hours to get them to unroll. Also sent complete directions for installing the heat shield and carpet. Was not that expensive. Mostly my time and effort to pull the seats and put it down. We put the carpet farther up the wall under the gas pedal, ets and so I needed him to send me another piece to go ion the backside where it joind up at the back of the cab. CanineCaravan.
canine caravan ACOC #3552

Clipper Joe

Hi Caninecaravan,

Great Info, Going To Check Them Out, Is The Carpet The Same Pile As Original? Or Do You Have Choice of Colors & Pile?

Thanks Again,  We Need To Get This Info On A Spread Sheet List Form, On Vendors & Contacts Like Engine Work, Interior, Electrical, Fridge, Plumbing, Sending Units, LED Lighting,Tires/ Rims Etc. & N O S Dodge PartsThat Clipper Owners Have Used & Are Happy With Price & Workmanship... :o

Thanks,
Joe
ACOC# 3749

ACOC#3749

retrorob

I got my carpet from a company called ACC (Auto Custom Carpet). It fit well but I did have to order a extra yard. The fitted carpet for a van stops about 8" shy of the coach. It comes with heel pad, dimmer switch grommet, underpading and a matching carpet cover for the dog house. I was very pleased with the purchase. I just checked the price(I did my carpet 3 years ago)...$311.00

Clipper Joe

Hi Retro rob,

This Is The Input & Data The Club Needs For Members On Items That Work On These Old Clippers. To Keep The Wear Items Changed Out, & That Works For You.
Thanks For Info, I'll Check Them Out. Can You Upload A Few Photos, Would Be Nice To See?  :o
Canine caravan Had A Good Post Also, Went Online There Price Is Very Reasonable. Have To Do Our 1977 Want To Get More Conformable Seats With Arm Rests, Age Is Creeping Up On Me & Wife Said OEM Seat Not Conformable.. :-[

Thanks Again,
Any Other Posts On This Topic Is Very Helpful.
Joe & Denise
ACOC # 3749
ACOC#3749

retrorob

caninecaravan

Including the heat sheet material which I highly recommend, I don't think I spent over $180.00 total for the whole thing. They knew exactly what was needed for the Clipper. Sent it right away. The installation is a little harder than they say, but if you are mechanically inclined, you should have no problem. We took it a little higher up the floor under the driver and passenger side, so I wound up short in the back. They sent me the additional piece for no charge. Went to Home depot and bought a piece of threshold and screwed it to the floor. Come to a rally and I can show you what it looks like. CanineCaravan
canine caravan ACOC #3552

Clipper Joe

Hi Rob,
Thanks Would Like To See Photos.

Will Be Looking At Canine Caravans,@ Next Meet, Seems For The Price He Got A Real Great Deal :)

What I Have In Mine Is Old Brown 1970's Shag Very Dated,
Anything Would Be A Great Improvement :D

Thanks Again For Update, Have Not Heard Back From Jean On What She Went With,
Would Like To See Here Photo's Too,

Joe & Denise
ACOC # 3749
ACOC#3749

retrorob

I cant seem to upload pictures. Being  remedial in computer usage I cant figure it out. It says the file(1 pic) is too large. >:(

Toedtoes

When posting photos, the system tells you "maximum individual size 300KB".  In reality, keep your photo to under 280KB and you should be able to upload fine.  At 280KB each, you should be able to load 2 photos in one reply.

At 280KB, you should be able to post most photos that are 72dpi, 640x480 in dimension.  That depends on the detail of the photo - more details will require larger files.
'75 American Clipper Dodge 360 821F; ACOC #3754

jeanlouise38

Hey Clipper Joe
Just about to finish the installation of the carpet in the cab. I spent a week trying to find a preformed set, no luck as of course the cab is extended by approx. 1ft towards the house. Called a local store - End of the Roll, quite a large chain here in British Columbia and lucked out as one of the salesmen renovates old hot rods and had a supply of auto carpet and soundproofing underlay. Bought a lovely light tan, the whole lot for $145 CAD.
He did offer us a tomato red. Thanks, but no thanks, with our orange upholstery? Our son is doing a great job and has installed new vinyl in the kitchen and bathroom, which was also a great deal at our local Home Depot - $36 for an 8' x 6' roll.

5 million staples later we managed to uninstall the beautiful orange shag. Brought back memories of when we first arrived in BC in 1971!!
Now we have to tackle the headliner - so avidly reading your headliner tips.
Will keep you posted.  Thanks for your help.  Jean