News:

The club is no longer active.  The forum will continue to be available for folks to find information and ask for help.
The tech forums are now open to all.  Other vintage Dodge-based class C owners welcome.

Main Menu

1978 Clipper 100k mileage question, high mileage and oil type

Started by satorizero, May 26, 2013, 06:46:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

satorizero

@ClipperJoe Ok great, thanks for the information, will continue with what Im doin then :)

@bulldog 1995 Thanks bulldog. So, ok, no 'need' for high mileage oil but adding that Lucas Oil Stabilizer seems to be a better idea over all. I love your background, definitely trust your input. That was such a crazy story, my gf heard my outspoken comments and was like "what babe!?" I said oh nothin' just reading this post (lol). Ill definitely consider the Lucas then in this case :P. So I think this engine takes the same 6 qrts my Jeep does then. Great guys, <3! Ill update as I go... redoing bathroom at the moment (will make posts about it).

satorizero

Update thoughts:

#1 I found some 20w-50 in here from the previous owner.. hope to god he didn't use it.

#2 I shouldve thought about this before... but umm...
is there a "1" before the "90910" on my odometer...!??

Horst

I have always run 20-50 Castrol.
Many friends with older (70s) big blocks in their big trucks or MHs run 20-50.
My mechanic, who builds race cars and motorcycles, etc., and owns a towing company as well as a repair shop, told me to run 20-50, unless I'm in cold weather, then 10-40, or 10-30 if it's really cold.

I'm no expert, but I've read a lot about which oil is best for 70s Dodge big blocks.
My 360 works VERY hard hauling around my 10,500+ lb Clipper..........I'll stick to 20-50.
Horst
ACOC  #2961
'75 Clipper 821F, Dodge 360........sold it in 2015.......now running a Ford F-250 towing a 2008 Layton trailer.

satorizero

Now Im torn between bulldog's "never use 50w" and him only using 10w/30
or Horst's "Always 20/50"...   :(

You have a 360 Horst, does that matter in this equation? (even though you have looked into things)

Wth do I use?? lol... and would it be perfectly fine to switch from 10/30 to 20/50 every oil change?

And isnt 50w heavier, not thinner? (and for summer not winter?)

p.s. (I live in southern Cali, where its like 65 degrees all year long, but may be going to Washington)

Clipper Joe

Hello Satorizero,
I know you seem to Wonder What is The Right Oil?

I Hope you will See What I Mean, It is a lot Easier To Speak on The Phone or In Person.

You stated you Found A Spare qt. Of 20/50wt oil left in Clipper from Past Owner Right?
10 to 1 he has been using that Grade in that clipper right?
You have over 90,000 + miles Correct?

So you will if you keep on using that Grade 20/50wt you will  get another 90,000 miles is you change by 3,000 miles or what Manual recommends.

Horst is correct, Bulldog is also correct, these post are each persons experience in use.

Like if your Father owned a Chevy & Had good luck with it, you may Buy one sometime in your lifetime.

I have 5 other cars in my House hold, most of them I use Castrol 20/50 wt reg GTX oil.
The only reason I use in Our Clipper Castrol para/Syn  10w/30wt.
Is because I have a Complete, Rebored 440-3 Engine after I get over 50,000 miles I will Switch to Castrol GTX 20/50wt for Sure.

Hope this helps, I feel that where you live in South Calif.
You will not have Any Problems With the 20/50wt.
Due to warm Conditions. I live on Northern Calif. Sometimes it gets A little cold I'm some winters, But oil in Clipper has never been a Problem....

Remember this Forum, is a starting point for Information & you Will Have Many Difference Answers,
Nothing is written in stone. ;)

Hope this Helps, Good luck

Joe & Denise
1977 Dodge 440  Rear Kitchen
Note: Clipper Sold: (Miss It)
ACOC#3749
Now Own 2002 Class A Diesel Pusher

satorizero

Thank you ClipperJoe (and Denise).

I will then use the 20/50 ONLY because I see it MAY have been used before. I dont KNOW if it was used primarily because I didnt know the last owner at all, other than he screwed me over on the pink slip and went through hell at the DMV just to get it (which I did a couple weeks ago), and I didnt know the owner's before that.

I will wait to see what Bulldog says in the mean time, but I am leaning towards 20/50.

Now, quick question. After looking this up a little, it says that these mixed ratio oils are made to cover a spectrum... for instance 20 - 50, so when the weather changes. Otherwise, it seems I could use, for instance, only 40w the whole time if the weather doesnt change (like where I live its only 70 degrees everyday).

So using that logic, it seems that switching from 20-50 to 10-40 would be a minor difference, because im just lowering the ratio numbers.

Now all this is for weather. This does NOT cover what the engine is made to use.

I have been putting 10-30 in my Jeep for 10 years...

So, I want to know if I SHOULD switch to 10-40, just to have a medium compromise between what everyone is saying (which takes into account Bulldog's "never use 50w" claim)? Or would that lower viscosity also damage the engine? OR stick to the 20-50 no matter what because otherwise itlll hurt the engine..?

Thank you guys in advance.

p.s. I would call ClipperJoe but I dont have regular access to a phone, so it is actually faster and easier for me on here :/

Article clipping:
At cold temperatures, the polymers are coiled up and allow the oil to flow as their low numbers indicate. As the oil warms up, the polymers begin to unwind into long chains that prevent the oil from thinning as much as it normally would. The result is that at 100 degrees C, the oil has thinned only as much as the higher viscosity number indicates. Another way of looking at multi-vis oils is to think of a 20W-50 as a 20 weight oil that will not thin more than a 50 weight would when hot.
I would think this would mean, since the Clipper gets generally pretty hot, its not gonna go over 50 using 20-50, and wont go over 40 using 10-40....

satorizero

Clipper Joe

Hi Satorizero,

I Went to all your links, Most are saying its a matter of what Works.
There is a lot of debate When it comes to oil.
It is that way with grease for Wheel Bearing, Some like Red Grease while others use only Moly Base Grease. They are all made for OEM standards.
The one thing you want to use is if you have Disc Brakes you want a lube recommend for disc brakes, it is for the heat.

So I feel that Take Where you Live in So. Calif.
You will have no Problems running what Horst Uses in his Clipper.
Castrol GTX 20/50 wt . I get my oil @ Walmart it seems to have the best price, I by it in the 5.5Qt. Jug @ always buy a few 1 Qt. Jugs.
Just Check your oil each Trip & if you pull Large Mountain Trips & Change oil & Filter ea. 3,000 miles.
Your Clipper will be Find. I Read on one Post, The engine does't care what oil you use as long as it's Clean & Full to the level.... >:(
These are Great Coaches.

Ps; I have notice there have been a lot of views & Reply's on this Topic, That is Great...

Joe & Denise
ACOC#3749

Toedtoes

There was another link within one of Satorizero's links:  http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/motor-oil-101/

He recommends using 0W-XX or 5W-XX oil only.  He brings up the idea that the 20W-50 oil is often used to help keep worn gaskets functioning.  I've heard that a lot, and I rather agree with Bob that it's better to replace worn gaskets than to use a different weight oil to "cover up" the problem.

I agree that no matter who you'll talk to, you'll get a different answer.  I tend to side with the 10W-30 side of things.  My Dad always used that (he worked as a Dodge mechanic and salesman and tow truck driver for years), so I figure it is good enough for me.
'75 American Clipper Dodge 360 821F; ACOC #3754

Toedtoes

Just got my clipper back from the shop and looked at the operating manual for the oil recommendation.  I have the 75 360.  Here is what the manual says:

Above +32F = SAE 30, SAE 40, SAE 10W-30, SAE 10W-40, SAE 10W-50, SAE 20W-40, SAE 20W-50
As low as +10F = SAE 20W-20, SAE 10W-30, SAE 10W-40, SAE 10W-50
As low as 10F = SAE 10W, SAE 10W-30, SAE 10W-40, SAE 5W-20, SAE 5W-30
Below -10F = SAE 5W-20, SAE 5W-30, SAE 5W-40

So it looks like 10W-30 and 10W-40 will work for everything but -10F.

Horst

What everyone seems to be forgetting here is that the oil recommendations are based on the B-300 VAN.....................not a Clipper.
There is a big difference in how hard the engine is working, particularly when running in hot weather, or pulling hills.
On the other hand, if I was just putting around town all the time, or taking short trips on flat roads and it's not too hot, I probably run 10/30 myself.
But going through the valley in summer, or climbing a grade........I'm sticking to 20/50.
Horst
ACOC  #2961
'75 Clipper 821F, Dodge 360........sold it in 2015.......now running a Ford F-250 towing a 2008 Layton trailer.

Clipper Joe

Hello All,

Horst, I Would Second your Post.

This Oil Topic Has Had Many Opinions,
I have Been Through this From The New Age Model A Ford Guys.
I Own a Few 1930-31 A Fords, They Recommend
30wt Non-  Detergent oil it's hard to come by, the Way they make oil today that Some additive  may hurt the Babbitt Rod & Main Bearings. If you use a Good Brand of Oil & Service it Properly No Problems for Many Many Miles.

I Have To say In Our Clipper since I Have Less Than 700 Miles on it I Use For Now 10w/30 Castrol Syn-Blend Oil.

My Wife Has A 1992 Toyota Camry V-6 With 250,000 + Miles on it & Has always used Castrol GTX 20w/50wt in it. & does not use a drop of oil between oil Changes.
& That is the Fact..... ;D

The Recommended SAE Viscosity Grades Of Oil
From my 1977 Manual from 32deg F to 100deg F
I will try to scan & Post It.

Mopar part # 3419130 is a Engine Oil Supplement,
Do not know if still available from Dodge.

So if you have used a Grade of Oil in Your Clipper & Feel it is What You want.
No one Will Change Your Mine it is all about What it.

Joe
ACOC#3749

Toedtoes

I just asked my boss about this as he is a mechanical engineer and this sort of stuff is his job.  ;)

He pretty much confirmed what Bob in the link I posted above states: 

You don't have to worry about oil being too thin, but you do need to worry about oil being too thick.  If the oil is too thick, it will not get into the areas that need to be lubricated.  If the oil is too thin, it will still get into those areas.  If you have worn parts in your engine that need the thicker oil to compensate for, then the thicker oil is fine - but you should be replacing those worn parts.

My boss recommends using 10W-40 on my clipper. 

It's an interesting discussion and I've learned more about oil because of it. 

Clipper Joe

Hello Toedtoes,

I have Read All of Your Posts, Like many have Said "Oil & Lubes have Many Uses",
I Feel on Your 1975 360 -V-8 Clipper on the Size of your Pistons & Rod, Main Bearing & Oil Pump,
There Will not be a problem Running 10/30 or 10/40 Wt Oil.
It Seems that you have Got Good Service on What You Use Correct?

When You Speak to A Oil Rep. Who Does This For A Living They Will Give You Only What They Recommend For  There Products Etc.
When Speaking to a Engineer, They Work With Very Close Tolerance.

Like Horst Has Stated in His Post, it Works For Him He Has Own His Clipper For Many Years Now.
There Was A Other Member Years Ago He was From Up North.
His Name Was Bob Chaney #2626 He Has Past away He was A Major Source of info on American Clippers. His Loss is Really Missed on This Forum. :'(

On the 440-3 V-8 Everything are Larger, Higher output Etc.
I Have a Extra High Output Oil Pump on My Clipper It Runs Between 90-100 PSI Oil Pressure.
Do You Know What Your 360 V-8 Puts Out?

Remember These Comment or Only Meant to Help & Guide RV'ers.
I Post What I Have Used in The Past 45+ Years As a Maintenance For A Major Company.
There are Many Auto or Heavy Truck Mech. Out There Would Like To Hear There Feed Back?

This Topic has Generated a lot of Opinions, that's Great...

Joe & Denise

ACOC#3749

Toedtoes

Joe - I'm not disagreeing with Horst.  Just throwing more information out there for folks to consider.

I'm a firm believer in "if it's working for you, then don't change it because of me".  ;D

With the weather here in Northern California being a bit weird these days and the temperature going from hot hot hot to almost freezing within a few days, I think the 10w-30 is a bit "safer".  I'd rather run the 10w-30 on my hot engine on a hot day than the 20w-50 on my cold engine on a freezing morning.  In Southern California, I might not see that as big a deal.   I'm not one for switching ratings for the seasons if I don't have to do so.  Since I'm more likely to drive to the snow country in the winter than to the desert in summer, the 10w-30 fits my driving choices better.

It does appear that Satorizero is along the coast in Southern California as he mentions the temp is 65 year round.  He would probably be OK with either rating.  I'd recommend he consider where and when he's traveling.  If he's mostly driving over the Grapevine or across the desert in the summer months, then I'd stick with the 20w-50.  If he'll be doing his travel in the winter months and/or staying along the coast, I'd consider going with the 10w-30.