News:

This website's purpose is to share information with clipper owners and others who are interested in clippers or have old Dodge B300 chassis motorhomes.  In an attempt to share as much information as possible to as many people as possible PLEASE first post your questions in one of the forum boards rather than sending a PM to the webmaster or another member. This will allow other members to find information that may help solve their problem.  By PMing your questions, you decrease forum activity and create more work for active members who end up repeating information to individuals looking for the same information.  Thank you.

Main Menu

Stereo System

Started by Toedtoes, April 13, 2013, 07:39:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Toedtoes

I thought I'd share my stereo system I put together for my clipper.  With only an AM radio in the cab, I wasn't going to be happy, but I didn't want to remove it as I really like the vintage look.  I also want my music available when I'm camping.  Using my Zune mp3 player as my starting point, I now have a stereo that runs off the vehicle battery when I'm driving, the ac power when I'm plugged in, and a portable battery when I'm dry camping.

What I used:
Zune mp3 player
2 Zune docking stations
surge protector
15 ft extension cord
25 ft stereo audio female/male cable
6 ft stereo audio female/male cable
Logitech S220 speaker set ($23)
3 Umbra floating shelves small ($17 each)
Duracell DRINVC power inverter ($38)
5-in-1 portable power pack ($100)
Bell Octopus Cup Holder ($7)

I used heavy duty double stick tape (the thick stuff) to attach unless I indicate otherwise.

To start, I screwed one shelf on each side of the window on the dinette. The third shelf I screwed just to the left of the outlet above the dinette table, as high as possible below the window.  Then, I screwed the surge protector to the wall just below the metal brace of the table and plugged it into the power outlet above the table.

I attached one speaker to each of the shelves on either side of the window and placed the subwoofer on the floor under the table (used the tape to attach it to the wall so it wouldn't fall while driving).   I used the 6 ft audio cable to provide the reach to attach the speakers to the subwoofer.  I attached the volume control of the speakers to the wall just to the right of the power outlet above the table.

I attached one Zune dock to the third shelf (the low one) and plugged it into the surge protector.  The other dock is attached to the top of the doghouse (towards the driver's side so I can easily reach it).  I attached the cup holder to the doghouse (closer to the passenger seat) and placed the Duracell power inverter into it.

I plugged the extension cord into the power inverter and ran it under the driver's seat and behind the dinette cushion to the floor under the table.  I ran the 25 ft audio cable along the same path but ended it along the wall above the table.

The power pack is situated under the table.

So, when I am driving, I place the Zune in the dock on the doghouse, plug the power inverter into the cigarette lighter and plug the speaker system into the extension cord and the dinette end of the 25 ft audio cable.  I plug the other end into the Zune (getting feedback when it's plugged into the dock).  I can change my music and volume from the driver's seat and to shut it all down, I just unplug the power inverter.

When I'm plugged in, I plug the speaker system into the surge protector and the Zune dock at the dinette.  I set my Zune in the dinette dock and can change volume and music at the Zune, or anywhere in the clipper with my zune dock remote.

When I'm dry camping, I plug the surge protector into the power pack.

Here are some pics of the set up.
'75 American Clipper Dodge 360 821F; ACOC #3754

Toedtoes

Oh, and with the power pack, I have jumper cables and an air compressor.  And with the Duracell power inverter, I can plug in my cell phone and charge it also.

perronotto

thank you

JerryT

I like your outlet strip under the table, it seems like we never have enough outlets at the table for all the toys that need power. I think that I am going to add one come spring. I wonder if I can sneak a wire up the wall and into the dinette outlet?
JerryT

Toedtoes

You probably could. I like it loose because I can run it under the table and connect to an inverter hooked into the 12v outlet under the couch if I'm battery only.

LARRY RAY

The only problem I see with the whole set-up is, I like many others on I'm sure is that when we go camping, It's time to just turn the world off. No phones, no radio, no nothing. Life is good when all the modern things we deal with on an everyday basis are gone for that brief moment.
ACOC# 3514
1978--821F-- ser#48851 440 Dodge  Built on a Dream--Still a Dream.  Let's all keep it that way.

Toedtoes

That's not really a problem with the set up.  If you don't want radio, phones, etc., simply don't use them.  But when you do want them, you don't have to worry that you don't have enough outlets.

Clipper Joe

Hi Toedtoes,

Like Your Set-up What Work For Each, Is The Way To Go.
I Know Sometimes When I Go Camping, I Like To Not Have To Tune In, But Like My My High Tech Stuff.

I Have 2 Units Installed, Bluetooth & DVD For Flat Screen System, So At Night Like A Good Movie.. :D

Your Dinette Is A little Different Than Our 1977, I Had A Old Tioga 1973 That Had A Nice Dinette Unit.
I Know When I Left That '73 It Looked Like I Moved Out Of A Condo.

You Have To Utilize All The Space You Can, Clippers Do Not Have A Lot Of Storage Space For Some Of Us Pack Rats. I Keep Looking At Ways To Add More Access Cabinets To Mine, Wife Says Get Rid Of That You Don't Need That. I Say What If..  >:(

Joe
ACOC# 3749
1977 Dodge 440  Rear Kitchen
Note: Clipper Sold: (Miss It)
ACOC#3749
Now Own 2002 Class A Diesel Pusher