News:

The club is no longer active.  The forum will continue to be available for folks to find information and ask for help.
The tech forums are now open to all.  Other vintage Dodge-based class C owners welcome.

Main Menu

Any thoughts

Started by zodojoco, September 01, 2010, 05:14:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

zodojoco

Hi there. I am headed to look at some american Clippers this weekend. I am looking at a 76 and a 79 and am not sure really what the difference between the two are.
If anyone has any pros or cons to either I would love to hear it.
So far it looks like these are a great RV but I would love to also hear anything in particular I might look out for.
THis will be my first RV purchase and I want something snug and reliable for me my son and our dog.
Thanks in advance for any thoughts or advice you might like to share.

Zoe

Horst

The obvious differences first:
The 76 will be a Dodge - will have a 360, or could have a 440.
The 79 will likely be a Dodge, but might be a Chevy (don't hold to that one - I forgot what years Chevys were used - they used a 400)

Then there's the floorplans - (see them on this web site) - that's kind of important depending on :
1) how are you going to use it (camping, tailgating with 6 people, traveling by yourself and son and dog, fulltiming, dry camping or boondocking,  etc.

Other factors:
1) generator or no generator
2) Will you tow someting, or not.
3) does it come "equipped" - dishes, gear, spare parts, etc.
4) Is it an ACOC Clipper (owned by someone in the Club) - those are nice to find - generally in better shape than a "rogue" Clipper (but not always)

Most important factors (in order of importance IMHO)
1) Condition of the drive train (the Dodge parts) (engine, tranny, rear end, suspension, cooling, electrical, fuel system, brakes, tires, etc.) - Is there documented maintenance history?
2) Condition of the Clipper's structural integrity (no leaks, rear end sagging, separation of panels, serious cab rust, if it has a tow hitch - is it properly installed,  etc.)
3) House electrical (if it's messed up, that can be a bit of a pain - especially is you're an electrical dunce like me)
4) House appliances and plumbing (it's nice if it's all good - but not the end of the world if you need a new toilet, etc.)

Remember, just because one only has 40,000 miles on doesn't mean it's "better" than the one that has 85,000 miles on it...............

If you can, take someone with motorhome and mechanical experience with you to look at the Clippers.

Good luck!

Horst
ACOC  #2961
'75 Clipper 821F, Dodge 360........sold it in 2015.......now running a Ford F-250 towing a 2008 Layton trailer.

zodojoco

Horst
Thank you for your reply.
I am overwhelmed with the amount of things I need to understand in order to purchase one of these.
After looking at both this weekend I have fallen in love. Here is what I have found.

The 76
48000 miles
The issues I saw
No AC, exhaust manifold leaks, Soft spot in the inside behind cab area. ceiling in bathroom is rotted.
Paneling in most of it has been replaced. Tires are cracked along the sidewalls. Owner has only had it for 5 months. Exterior looks like its been repaired in many places and also has some big chunks missing.
Oven does not work. One burner on Stove does not work. Shower faucet leaks.
The good.
Generator works. Roof AC works
Interior is in decent condition.
Some of the carpeting replaced with tile.

The 79
Been at a storage unit uncovered since 07
No apparent leaks
everything works except the fridge.
Does not have original generator but has been replaced with a 100 watt one.
Roof ac works and dash ac is intermittant.
440 Engine was rebuilt 5k miles ago and it purrs.
Tires need to be replaced.
Interior remodeled. Couch removed and replaced with bunk beds.

Both have great appeal.
Thanks again.
Once I decide I will be joining the club.

Horst

hmmm........from what I'm reading - it's a no brainer - the 79 for sure.
Since both need new tires ($1,000+) - let's move on to to other issues for each

The 76
-Leaking exhaust manifold - unless you do it yourself - that's going to be $400-500 if all goes well and you have an honest/good mechanic  - it can cost more.
-Owner only had it 5 months - red flag! - he or she has given up on it (my opinion)
-Soft spots, ceiling rot, etc - can be a bummer as you don't know how bad it really is until you tear into it - and you might be horrified at what you find..............
Oven doesn't work - that's a bummer - but why doesn't it work - could be something simple, or the sign of somethingmore serious.
-"Big chunks" missing in fiberglass - that's simply not good.
-No AC (I don't know if you mean cab AC or the roof-top AC - but either way  - no cab isn't the end of the world - no roof-top is rough if you go to really hot places with hookups - and you have no AC)

The 79
-No fridge - well there are cheap ways around this, or replace for over $1,000 installed. Cheap includes just using a cooler! - or getting a small electric fridge, etc.
-100 watt generator?? - I don't think so - maybe you meant a 1000 watt generator? - like a small Honda or something? Those are nice and will run your lights, small appliances, a TV and such - MAYBE even a small fridge - but it will NOT run your roof-top AC - not even close.
-Bunk bed in place of couch? That might be cool  - especially if your kid wants to take a friend.
-No dash AC - no big deal.

Hey, by chance is the 79 interior done with red vinyl seat coverings? And are the bunk beds permanent?  I once saw a Clipper that had bunk beds in place of the couch behind the passengers seat -  but the top bunk would flip back down to become a back-rest to the bottom "bunk" - therby making it a couch again - a very slick mod.

The engine rebuild on the 79 makes this an easy choice in my book. As long as someone started it up and drove it every once and while - still you might need to replace hoses here and there, etc.

Good luck!
Horst
ACOC  #2961
'75 Clipper 821F, Dodge 360........sold it in 2015.......now running a Ford F-250 towing a 2008 Layton trailer.

jon

zodojoco

Ok so I have agreed to buy the 79. I am so excited its killing me.
He has replaced the generator with a 100 amp one. I dont know what the diff is between amp and watt so forgive my typo above.
He is getting me a quote from a local tire guy he knows up there. Down here in Modesto cheapest I can get is $1100 for all 6.
He has also agreed to take it to the local service center for me and have them do a check of everything.

Horst the interior is not red vinyl but I did discover that the top bunk can be folded down to become the back rest to sit on the bottom bunk. Very nice touch.
Thank you all for your help on this one. I will be purchasing it shortly and telling you all about it once I have it.
Zoe

Horst

Congtrats!!
Upload some pics! (when you have time of course)
I'd like to see how that top bunk works - I'm guessing heavy duty, long piano hinge below the window, and then some sort of straps that hook to the ceiling combined with some support boards from the bottom bunk??

$1100 is about right for the tires.
Drive it slow and easy and life will be good!
Horst
ACOC  #2961