News:

The club is no longer active.  The forum will continue to be available for folks to find information and ask for help.
The tech forums are now open to all.  Other vintage Dodge-based class C owners welcome.

Main Menu

120V ELEMENT FOR REFRIG

Started by mccammonds, June 07, 2010, 06:33:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mccammonds

JerryT,

What type of Refrig do yo have.   Where did you get the element and how much was it.    I have been running on propane since I have had my rig.   The element reads no continuity so I assume it is bad.
SOLD MY 1975     821F      360cc  ACOC #3645
FULL TIME IN A 21FT WAS NOT CONDUCIVE TO A HAPPY MARRIAGE.  NOW HAVE A 34 FT BOUNDER
U.S. ARMY RETIRED

JerryT

Hi Mac
I have the factory installed 66RME Dometic. I think I paid about $30 for it. I am not home to look up who I bought it from but I will when I get home. I am in Tucumcari New Mexico for a 100th birthday party (not mine :o) then off to Fairfield Iowa for the Dodge Power Wagon Rally. Has been 100 + out here for days. When I took out the bad element it was the wrong one for the 66E, I think it was the one for the next bigger size. Have always wondered if it was a factory mistake? I asked when I bought the new one and was told that they must match the fridge and bigger is not better. I think mine is 140 watts and the burned out one was 200 watts. I often run my fridge on 120v via the inverter while driving down the road but it will drain the battery in an hour or two when parked. The repair shop told me to turn off the fridge while parked off level for a period of time, (shopping,lunch,nap) as a precaution and for long life of the unit. It is easier to turn the inverter on and off than to re-light each time.

JerryT

mccammonds

Thanks for the reply.  I'll check my model number.  If you could send me the info on  your element when you get back I would appreciated it.

We have been full time RVers for years and we are 99.9999% dry campers/boondocker/off the grid with solar panels and inverters.  So we don't really need electricity for the refrig.   We have rented a place place in Orland, Ca and only travel from October to April. (Go south for the winter.) 

When we start loading the rig I turn the refrig on propane.  I do not turn it off except to fill the tanks.  We have always done this.  Some time the flame will blow out with a big wind while we travel. I do read that you should turn propane of while you travel but we have never done it.  Our Clipper is the fourth rig we have traveled in with the propane on 24/7.   
FULL TIME IN A 21FT WAS NOT CONDUCIVE TO A HAPPY MARRIAGE.  NOW HAVE A 34 FT BOUNDER
U.S. ARMY RETIRED

JerryT

Hi Mac

So far it seems that I spend more time up front driving than in the back relaxing so I envy you!  If you get the element fixed you could save propane, the environment, and probably get some kind of Presidential award!

JerryT

mccammonds

But,  I only make electricity in the day time.  I only have two 6 volt 450 amp batteries. Using the electricity in the day time would stop me from watching TV every evening. I bought propane for $.98 a gallon in Yuma last winter.   I carry an extra five gallon propane bottle that I can plumb into the propane line with quick disconnects to extend our stay on the desert.
U.S. ARMY RETIRED

JerryT

I still think you should get a Presidential award :D

JerryT                   

mccammonds

The little Dutch boy just stuck his finger in the hole and stopped  the leak.  I don't think I can stick my finger in the hole and stop the leak.
U.S. ARMY RETIRED

John Eversoll

I am not going to go there!!!

But I want to sooooooo bad!!!!!!!!!

John

JerryT

Somebody needs to stick something in that hole and stop that oil leak!!!

JerryT

John Eversoll

Hi Jerry, I am starting the clean up in the engine compartment tomorrow.

I have wires that really need to be replaced.. Plus, I have to replace

the fuel line and rerout it..  I don't know why but the people that had it before me had it routed right by the exhaust maniflod!!!!!!

I don't know why the thing didn't blow up, god was with us for a very long time!!!

anyway, things look good so far. I will stay in touch with the updates/   John