News:

This website's purpose is to share information with clipper owners and others who are interested in clippers or have old Dodge B300 chassis motorhomes.  In an attempt to share as much information as possible to as many people as possible PLEASE first post your questions in one of the forum boards rather than sending a PM to the webmaster or another member. This will allow other members to find information that may help solve their problem.  By PMing your questions, you decrease forum activity and create more work for active members who end up repeating information to individuals looking for the same information.  Thank you.

Main Menu

Front end

Started by John Eversoll, May 11, 2010, 01:18:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

John Eversoll

Hi Jerry ,,  I am at a stopping point for a day or so...

the bumper comes off then does the Valance come off or is it suppose to???

Mine is welded in place  from factory..  I will be harder to remove the motor

with that in the way...  Another question is ---  What do I do for a fan since I am taking out the Air conditioner.There will be a very big Void

john

mccammonds

I have a 360 so they might not be the same.  When I replaced my timing chain I took my air conditioner commpressor out and done away with it.
My fan is mounted on the water pump so it's still there.

Also I did not take the bumper off.  I think you can get that engine out without removing the bumber.
SOLD MY 1975     821F      360cc  ACOC #3645
FULL TIME IN A 21FT WAS NOT CONDUCIVE TO A HAPPY MARRIAGE.  NOW HAVE A 34 FT BOUNDER
U.S. ARMY RETIRED

pop427

The motor comes out the passenger side door not out the front. I have done a bunch of them.

Doug Odom

John Eversoll

Are you sure....  I have had people tell me that it comes out the front.????

I took it out the first time thru the passenger door and that was not what I would call easy

.   and now that I have it parked next to a wall with everything taken off the motor

and the radiator ect ect ect ect ect.. I can't get to the passenger door and I am NOT going to take the steering wheel off.
At this point I will just pay the $1,000 dollars to have it done.

Sigh....................................................john

pop427

John, No one said it would be easy. If you must take it out the front you will need to cut the radiator core support and then weld it back in. You will also have to jack the front up very high or use a special low cherry picker. I know you don't know me so I will give you a short resume. Got out of the Navy in 63, went to work for Ford racing in 65, worked for Chrysler 69 to 76 then started my own business building engines. I'm 69 now and have been building and driving race cars for 47 years. I'm still building Bonneville salt flats race cars and have 300 mph on my bucket list.

When I worked for Chrysler I also did engine and transmission work for 5 star motorhome in Los Angeles.
I have a 76 440 clipper and my daughter has one also. We both got them used at different times and the VIN numbers are only 14 numbers apart so they were built the same day at Chrysler.

I'm very busy working on my race car but I will stop and answer any questions that I can. You can see some of my cars at popmotorsports.com

Doug Odom

John Eversoll

Hi Doug,
     impressive... I will muscle through it... At least I can drive my chevell.

John....

And I was refering to the dash fan not the radiator fan..  what can I do for a dash fan now

That I hae removed the big bo from the firewall.....????

Hank Jourdin

Hey John,   Don,t you have a Dodge Van factory manual for 78? If you, do check under engine and it will explain and show you pictures of how to R&R (remove & replace) the motor. It's not that hard and you don't have to cut and reweld radiator suports, but you do need to jack the front end up high enough so that the cherry picker arm is almost at a level position when the motor comes out of the hole. It makes it alot easier to remove a short block, so drop the exhaust ,remove manifolds and take the heads off. Then remove the intake manifold. After that remove trans converter bolts 4 of them, remove valley cover and stick the end of the cherry picker arm right down in the engines valley where the lifters are. Bolt a chain from one side of the block to the other across the valley with the arm at a downward angle useing head bolts,So with the arm in place and chain secured so it can't slip foreward unbolt the tranmission freeing it from the motor. Make sure to suport the trans so it doesn't fall. Make sure all ground straps and electrical wires are free. Unbolt front motor mounts and start jacking the short block out of the hole. It will come out of the hole when the arm is just about level. Put it back in the same way short block, then add everything back once you have it back in. What you going to do for a heater? the heater core and evaporator for the A/C are in that box where the fan blower motor is , no fan, no window defrost Anyway you should have that motor out in 2 hours tops , even if you stop for a quick O'duels or two. I have done it just the way I have explained. Good Luck any questions yell!   Hank Out

JerryT

Hi Hank
Dumb question #1, why do you have to jack up the front end to remove the motor?
Dumb question #2, can the motor be R&R'd in the long block form?
JerryT

John Eversoll

Ok,  here is dumb question # 3

Does this mean I don't take it out through the passenger door....?

John Eversoll

Hello Hank,   

Ok, my Brother in  law came ove with his tow truck and moved the rig away from the wall.

Is  there a hearter smaller than the one I just removed that I can put in it's place???

John

Hank Jourdin

Hey Jerry,  Jacking the front end up just gives a better angle on the cherry picker arm, because of the higth of the cherry picker arm. By jacking it up the arm comes out almost level. Yes you can R&R a long block the same way, it's just a little tighter fit because of the width of the heads. Hank Out.

JerryT

Thanks Hank!
JerryT

Hank Jourdin

Hey Jerry, I will say one thing your welcome and your a man of few words, But I guess thats two things. Hank Out!