News:

The club is no longer active.  The forum will continue to be available for folks to find information and ask for help.
The tech forums are now open to all.  Other vintage Dodge-based class C owners welcome.

Main Menu

Inverter

Started by John Eversoll, December 07, 2009, 09:54:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

John Eversoll

Hey Jerry, I just got thru talking to a friend about power inverters.

I am a novice basicly... But my buddy was telling me that I have to run extra batts along with the power

inverter.  And can not run it directly to the electric fridge.. Now I love this guy like my own brother.

He saved my life over seas years ago... But is this true.....If it is not I will find some way of informing him.

Main reason is I don't want to spend $1,500 on a lp fridge when I bought this nice size fridge

at Lowes Home improvement  for $204. twice the size plus has a bigger freezer.  It would only e running while I drive.  keeping the stuf in the fridge cold!
What do you think?????????????       

John :) :)

mccammonds

First make sure the required wattage needed by the refrig is not more than your inverter is capable of putting out.

On my rig and it should be on yours. I have an electrical cord that I can plug into 1. my generator,or 2. shore power,or 3. out put from my inverter.  Using this method I know I will never have a feedback problem.  Some folks have a master switch to take care of this.

Batteries:  Make sure your Amp out put of your house batteries is enough to feed your inverter.   Going down the road should charge your battery/batteries.

BUT!, you will use your battery/batteries up real fast if you don't have: 1. a whole bunch of stored amps., or 2. you have a constant way to keep the house battery charged. 
SOLD MY 1975     821F      360cc  ACOC #3645
FULL TIME IN A 21FT WAS NOT CONDUCIVE TO A HAPPY MARRIAGE.  NOW HAVE A 34 FT BOUNDER
U.S. ARMY RETIRED

clockwork

Quote from: mccammonds on December 08, 2009, 07:10:42 AM
First make sure the required wattage needed by the refrig is not more than your inverter is capable of putting out.

On my rig and it should be on yours. I have an electrical cord that I can plug into 1. my generator,or 2. shore power,or 3. out put from my inverter.  Using this method I know I will never have a feedback problem.  Some folks have a master switch to take care of this.

Batteries:  Make sure your Amp out put of your house batteries is enough to feed your inverter.   Going down the road should charge your battery/batteries.

BUT!, you will use your battery/batteries up real fast if you don't have: 1. a whole bunch of stored amps., or 2. you have a constant way to keep the house battery charged. 

What Mac said! Plus, you will save a bunch of battery reserve if you load and cool the refer the night before a trip while on 120v power. Pro Tip: Rogue 22 ouncers are excellent chill packs when stacked properly in a refer. You may not even need power to keep the refer cool on daily drives. 5L mini kegs work as well with less weight.

mccammonds

This might help!!
Converting Watts to Amps

The conversion of Watts to Amps is governed by the equation Amps = Watts/Volts

For example 12 watts/12 volts = 1 amp
Converting Amps to Watts

The conversion of Amps to Watts is governed by the equation Watts = Amps x Volts

For example 1 amp * 110 volts = 110 watts

Converting Watts to Volts

The conversion of Watts to Volts is governed by the equation Volts = Watts/Amps

For example 100 watts/10 amps = 10 volts

Converting Volts to Watts

The conversion of Volts to Watts is governed by the equation Watts = Amps x Volts

For example 1.5 amps * 12 volts = 18 watts

Converting Volts to Amps at fixed wattage

The conversion of Volts to Amps is governed by the equations Amps = Watts/Volts
FULL TIME IN A 21FT WAS NOT CONDUCIVE TO A HAPPY MARRIAGE.  NOW HAVE A 34 FT BOUNDER
U.S. ARMY RETIRED

John Eversoll

Hey Mccammonds,  Did you ever serve at Fort Rucker in Alabama???

----------------

Any way, Thnks!!!...I bought a 4500 watt inverter, thinking that tht would be enough

for anything.  But I will check out the wattage tomorrow morning after the 2nd cup

of coffee.  I was going to run the fridge off the power invert then run it off of shore power

when we dock over night or for long stays.  Thanks!!!!!  John

mccammonds

Back in the mid 70s I spent three weeks at Fort Rucker teaching the installation and maintenance of a recorder in the control tower at the airport.
U.S. ARMY RETIRED

John Eversoll

Base Commander name was Neil R Christencen!!!!!!!

Now Brig.Gen.  RET.

"My Uncle"

He wanted me to learn to fly Hellicopters...." I joined the Coast Guard"

He still wont speak to me.............

:) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :)  John

John Eversoll

Ok, You guys are probably going to get tired of me asking this question.....

But is there a way that I can run the fridge off the Altinater and power converter

then when Parked use shore power?????

If so could I get the up graded alt and use the 2500 watt power converter

fridge spects are as follows--- Power input  120 w

rated current  1.5 a

Voltage         115 v

I just get soo confused lately,  Thanks for your help !!!   john

JerryT

Hi John
Thats how I run mine. I run the inverter all the time till I plug in. I can run the fridge about an hour or so with the engine off until it runs the battery down.
JerryT

John Eversoll

Then I am on the right track.

Now all I need to do is get the nerve up and try to wire it myself....?????

I am not good at all with electrical. As a kid I stuck a knife in a wall outlet......

I stay away from electricity!!!!

John

JerryT

Hi John
Yes get help wiring it if your not sure. Bad wiring costs $ and could take a life. I bet an old motorhome would burn like a dried out Christmas tree. :(
JerryT

John Eversoll

Yes, I have seen an old rig go up.  Due to an Lp fire while driving the 101

Nasty-----  But everyone got out ok.

I know I will pay about 200. or more but it will be worth it.

John

garciamag

I had an electrical install mine just because I didn't want to take any chances.  I also added 2 new sealed batteries.  The whole thing connected under the seat just in front of the galley.  One thing that was stressed, if you add batteries inside the cabin (like I did) used sealed batteries.

Now, with 4 batteries total I can run all the normal stuff plus the PC, printer and LCD TV, which were options in 78...;-)

John Eversoll

Wow,  I guess that is what I am gona do...

I just need to get the motor in first. and finish everything else off.....

Thanks for the info.... me and electricity Well respect each other!!!!

John

prophetdaniel2

ya beat me to it john :P

Welcome aboard garciamag! I am definately leaning toward your type of system, and will utilize my generac generator as a household backup in the not too distant future I think. If I install some type of solar system and batts. I should be able to adequately harness all this "Midnight Sun" I keep hearing about.
-D