News:

This website's purpose is to share information with clipper owners and others who are interested in clippers or have old Dodge B300 chassis motorhomes.  In an attempt to share as much information as possible to as many people as possible PLEASE first post your questions in one of the forum boards rather than sending a PM to the webmaster or another member. This will allow other members to find information that may help solve their problem.  By PMing your questions, you decrease forum activity and create more work for active members who end up repeating information to individuals looking for the same information.  Thank you.

Main Menu

springs

Started by fly-boy, September 09, 2009, 12:11:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JerryT

Congrats on the stimulus package for your Clipper :D
The new springs will set a little high at first but they will settle down a bit after a year or so. Do you have the dual wheel 4000# front end.
JerryT

fly-boy

Hi I have no Ideal the GVW is 9000#. It's a 1978 sportsman.

JerryT

It should be the 4000# front end if it is a 78 ;D
The older Dodge vans used 1 ton dual wheels on the back and a 3/4 ton single wheel on the front, so you couldn't take a wheel off the back and use it on the front or visa versa. The 78 Dodge van received many nice updates inside but looked the same outside till 79 when the front end was restyled. The 78 is my favorite as you have the new interior with the classic exterior. Some Clippers are titled as 78's but have 77 cabs (production lag), mine is a 78/78. I think American Clipper updated their interiors also about then as mine has a more modern look/construction than others that I have seen pictures of. I have angled airplane style overhead doors and more anodized aluminum for trim and corners.
JerryT

John Eversoll

Jerry, Is it an easy task to replace the Air bags or is it a major Pain.

I have a 2 and a half ton floor jack and I really don't mind getting dirty.

But is it a safe project to do or leave it to the pro's

John

JerryT

HI John
It looks to me that it would be a bolt off and on deal, with the air lines being the wild card but I think I would run that new also.
JerryT

John Eversoll

Great, I havent been underneith the rig to do any inspections for a year so that is good news.

I can handle something easy in a couple of months...
John :)

fly-boy

hi Installed the new shocks and springs they wanted $200 to do it so I decided to try myself.
It took me all day but I still have my $200 ,just like driving a new rig I suggest it to anyone.
The reason it took so long was lining up the holes in the lower arm the one with the big bolt.
Thanks again to everone for the help.

JerryT

Congrats on the install!!
I agree, they drive like new! It's hard for me to believe that I am driving a 30+ year old rig---but no payment :D
JerryT

John Eversoll

Yes I agree, after you get the front end rebuilt the darn thing drives sooo nice.

And the funny thing is , if you stop and think about it what you did wasn't so hard!!!

Plus not a real big deal.  And to think you just saved roughly $1,500  bucks

and put that in your pocket!!  That is what firestone wanted to rebuild mine...

Why give these guys money when you need it more!!!! :)  John E.

Robert P. Anderson

I THINK YOU WILL FIND ALL OF THE CLIPPERS WITH THE 440 HAVE THE 1 TON FRONT AXLES AND THOSE WITH THE 360 MOTORS HAVE THE 3/4 FRONT ENDS WITH THE SMALL WHEELS.

JerryT

Hi Robert
What years did Dodge use the 440 in the van?
JerryT

John Eversoll

John here, I have a 1977 with the 440 or now it could be a 500 after the rebuild...

no truck will pass me now!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!     :) :)John