News:

The club is no longer active.  The forum will continue to be available for folks to find information and ask for help.
The tech forums are now open to all.  Other vintage Dodge-based class C owners welcome.

Main Menu

new owner in WA back from our first trip in the Clip

Started by Harvey, September 04, 2008, 01:28:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Harvey

Hello All,
I do have to say that I learned quite a bit about these wonderful motorhomes before actually pulling the trigger on buying one.  We bought one that has the number 2668 on the front of it. It is a 1976 21 foot with a 360 in it.  The previous owner was in the club as he gave us the owners club tee-shirts and key chain.  There is also a sticker on it that says American Clipper Owner's Club. 

We took our first trip to Eastern Washington for Labor Day 2008.  We did a round trip of 500 miles from Tacoma to Banks Lake and back towing my 19 foot Maxum boat.  The boat is 4,000 pounds and we had no trouble towing.  We were at a of about 60 miles an hour the whole way except uphill where we would be around 50mph.  We also spotted an American Clipper in South Cle Elum off of the freeway parked next to a couple other motorhomes.  Everything worked on "Harvey" and everyone in our party had a great time.  If anyone has any towing questions feel free to write.   

Donna

turbodust

What kind of hitch do you have. My Dads does not have a recever hitch. I want to tow a 4000lb boat and the frame doesn't look strong enough to put on a good recever hitch? I want to buy it from him but I need to pull my boat

Harvey

The reciever hitch was already installed with wiring so we lucked out there.  However there was nothing to hook the safety chains to.  We ended up bolting some chain in a loop underneath to attach the safety chains.  I am not sure about the hitch but you may get away with finding one on a dodge truck or van in a junkyard that would bolt up.  With that setup towing 4,000# was not a problem at all, you couldn't even tell the boat was back there.  As you know, just make sure that the brakes on your trailer are in working order.

Robert P. Anderson

WHEN YOU JOIN THE CLUB YOU WILL FIND NUMEROUS ARTICLES ON WAYS TO BEEF UP THE REAR END TO ACCEPT A TRAILER HITCH. IF THIS ISN'T DONE RIGHT THE FIBERGLASS ON THE SIDE
OF THE RV WILL BUCKEL.