News:

The club is no longer active.  The forum will continue to be available for folks to find information and ask for help.
The tech forums are now open to all.  Other vintage Dodge-based class C owners welcome.

Main Menu

Just purchased a 1978 American Clipper - Seattle Washington

Started by zaharia, September 22, 2008, 10:11:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

zaharia

Hello
My first post here. I have read up alot here in the last week. I just purchased a 1977 American Clipper up here in the Seattle area. Was a rather unexpected purchase on my part as I was just thinking about possibly purchasing an older MH for only the last few weeks. Finding this site after seeing this one for sale pushed me over the edge - even with gas at $3.75 per gallon and 7mph on this thing. :) It is the Party Model. Seems to be in really good condition.
Was just wondering if anyone here is familiar with its history. I have the paperwork from the 3 owners before me.

Originally purchased in Brookings Oregon and owned by Bill and Helen Howard.
Second owners were Thomas and Tamara Ottinger from Renton Washington.
Third owner from whom I purchased it was Renae Moody of Renton Washington.
Do these names ring a bell here?

I'm sure I will have some more questions, but I will start off with a few.

It is a 440 with Doug Thorley headers and a Weiand intake and Holley 4 bbl carb. How can I identify the model of carb, so I can get a rebuild kit for it?
Had a compression test done and all cylinders were within 7% of each other, so engine seems fine, but needs a tune up badly. Doesn't burn oil.

I need to replace the plugs, distributer cap, wires etc. Does anyone know the particular plug wires I need? (brand and number) They seem to be a high heat ceramic type for use around headers. I will replace the ignition coil as it seems like the original. ANy other electrical things that are fairly reasonable in price that I should look to replace? Also will replace all the heater hoses (seem original) and upper and lower rad hose in the next while.

I also need a drivers side doghouse lower retaining clip. (or 4) Seems there are 2 latches on the forward part and 5 screws and brackets for rear and sides?  Can they still be purchased or do I have to cobble something together?
I plan to re-line the inside of the doghouse cover with some reflective insulating blanket material. This stuff from JC Whitney has good reviews:
http://www.jcwhitney.com/HEAT-SOUND-INSULATION/GP_2010475_N_111+10201+600002669_10101.jcw
My feet got pretty toasty driving it home. I also need to pull the orange shag carpet of the doghouse that someone glued on. Any idea what will remove the glue residue?

I just had the tranny flushed and new filter and fluid installed as well as an oil change. Transmission shifts nice and crisp. The tires and exhaust were new last year as well as recent brakes. Seems to have no leaks from the roof. I was told everything works inside, except the cab air doesn't blow cold. Can I just recharge it myself somehow? Roof air seems to work allright. It has an Onan generator that starts right up.
Plan to get some Collinite fiberglass boat cleaner and wax and I think it will sparkle right up.

Any help on these greatly appreciated. More questions to follow I'm sure.
Thanks.

caninecaravan

There is a guy in Georgia at a place called Stock Interiors. When I talked to him, he knew exactly what a I needed to go into the front of the clipper. he sold me the carpeting and heat shield material that is padded and goes on under the carpet. They say that it should take 4 hours to do the installation which actually took 2 of us over 2 days to do. Not very handy so you might be quicker. The carpet and pad was under $150.00 total including the shipping. Comes in a variety of colors. I picked a brown so it would match the rest of the inside. The heat in the front of the cab and the noise level dropped significantly. My wife and I can now carry on a normal conversation as compared to a shouting match over the engine noise. Hope that helps.
canine caravan ACOC #3552

zaharia

Quote from: caninecaravan on September 22, 2008, 10:16:23 PM
There is a guy in Georgia at a place called Stock Interiors. When I talked to him, he knew exactly what a I needed to go into the front of the clipper. he sold me the carpeting and heat shield material that is padded and goes on under the carpet. They say that it should take 4 hours to do the installation which actually took 2 of us over 2 days to do. Not very handy so you might be quicker. The carpet and pad was under $150.00 total including the shipping. Comes in a variety of colors. I picked a brown so it would match the rest of the inside. The heat in the front of the cab and the noise level dropped significantly. My wife and I can now carry on a normal conversation as compared to a shouting match over the engine noise. Hope that helps.

Thanks. You are talking about the molded carpet that is formed to fit in the cab right? The stuff under your feet. Does it fit as well as the original?
Googled Stock Interiors and came up with a place in South Carolina. THey supply molded carpets. Here is for the Clipper:
http://www.stockinteriors.com/AutoCarpet.asp?Itemid=9968&MakeId=33&ModelId=173

Noise and heat shield underlay here:
http://www.stockinteriors.com/HeatSound.asp?Itemid=4783
Prices are from $128 to $260 depending on pile and backing + shipping. Think I might use these guys. Only for years 1978 and up though. Just made the cut-off.  ;D

Caramel color ultra plush with mass back backing including for the doghouse + a roll of 4' x 6' noise and heat shield is $360 shipped to WAshington. Not bad.
They also sell rolls of matching carpet for the rest of the van. I want to put linoleum though in the rear.

caninecaravan

The carpet for the $128.20 is nice enough. Better than the shag that came in it. Also the heat shield for $40.00 will make a big difference. I thought Georgia but the place that you found is the right one. I took the camel brown because it looked better than the original. I also was able to find carpet squares at Big Lots that just clicked together like a jigsaw puzzle and didn't need to be glued down. If I have a problem with one, I can just pull it up and replace it. There is a similar product at Lowes or Home Depot but costs more and needs to be ordered. Bought stick down lineoleum squares for the bathroom and installed that myself. Required a little bit of cut and paste and the toilet needs to be removed. Good luck

zaharia

Do you mean caramel color? I don't see a camel brown in their samples.
I see that the link I gave was for the front passenger area. There are 3 pieces of carpet. How does the engine cover piece attach to the doghouse? Is it a good fit? I guess you never went for the mass back?
Thanks again.

caninecaravan

Mine is 8835 Medium Beige. I bought it with the standard pile which was his recommendation. I also purchased the heat shield for$39.95 and that seems to be enough. Did not need anything special for the doghouse. You have to take out the seats to install the carpet. We would up about a foot short on the backside where it goes behind the seats. That was because we put it up higher under the dash. He did send me a piece to complete the job at n/c when I called and asked.  The directions say that it will take about 4 hours to install using the old carpet as a template for cutting the new one. By the time we got out the old carpet and the 1000 staples there was no pattern to use for the new one. It took about 14 hours over 2 days to cut, install and get to looking nice. Need a knife to cut around the doghouse and then you need to make some xtra cuts so that it fits.

Some of the parts that you need are available from the clipper club. If you have not already joined, you should. Any other questions, let me know and I will try and answer them for you. I will tell you that a boat is a hole in the water that you pour money into and when you have a motorhome that's called an American Clipper, that is one big ship. Somebody said one time on the web discussion group that you will replace everything on the clipper sooner or later was correct.