News:

This website's purpose is to share information with clipper owners and others who are interested in clippers or have old Dodge B300 chassis motorhomes.  In an attempt to share as much information as possible to as many people as possible PLEASE first post your questions in one of the forum boards rather than sending a PM to the webmaster or another member. This will allow other members to find information that may help solve their problem.  By PMing your questions, you decrease forum activity and create more work for active members who end up repeating information to individuals looking for the same information.  Thank you.

Main Menu

Working on solving overheating

Started by SierraJoe, April 12, 2020, 02:08:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SierraJoe

Hi Clipper Joe,

I will definitely keep the old coolant recovery tank as it's worth it's weigh in gold.  :) I actually removed the windshield fluid tank and that's where I placed the new coolant recovery tank. I can always put things back where they belong in the future if I find a OEM coolant tank or repair the old one. Last summer after I had new tires tires installed and went home, I noticed that I couldn't reach  the valve stems on the inner back tires. I ordered some valve extenders and installed them yesterday. I also ended up ordering some short curved extenders for the outer tires as they are difficult to get air into. Reviews were good and didn't mention any problems with leaking. Later today I plan to de-winterize Shaggy and make sure that everything works correctly. Shaggy is the name we came up with for the Clipper as the Dodge chassis is the same as the Mystery Machine van from Scooby-Doo.

Take care,

Joe
77 821 F 1 T Dodge 440

SierraJoe

Went out for a test run this afternoon. I must admit I was a little nervous after replacing the thermostat, clutch fan, hoses and the power steering pump, and that it sat on the side yard since last September. Everything ran great and the engine never went above 170 degrees. The coolant reserve tank filled up pretty high after the engine was off because the new one is smaller than the original. Hopefully it doesn't overflow if the engine runs hotter. It's not a running hot issue, it's  not possibly having enough room for coolant expansion. I think that I will probably just lower the coolant level when the engine is cool to give it more room for expansion. I've been thinking about the old cracked recovery tank and I'm going to check around and see if it's possible to 3D print a new one. I watched a YouTube video of someone who printed one, but it didn't mention how it held up. We are ready to go boondocking once the local forest opens up. We have some spots we like where no one is nearby for miles.
77 821 F 1 T Dodge 440

SierraJoe

We took the Clipper out for an overnight yesterday. It was 88 degrees outside and I climbed 2500 feet of elevation with a full tank of gas and 40 gallons of water. The coolant temperature never went above 210 degrees and dropped down to around 190 when the road leveled off. Overheating problem solved!
77 821 F 1 T Dodge 440

SierraJoe

Quote from: SierraJoe on April 30, 2020, 04:18:24 PM
I took a couple of days off before looking at the squealing issue again. With a clear mind I now think it's belt noise. No noise at idle but the noise starts at different RPM's depending on the how tight I have the belt. This time I  readjusted the belt to the correct tightness, started it up and when I revved up the engine, it started  squealing again. I let it run at that RPM for about 15 seconds and it faded away. When I rev the engine up to a higher RPM I can still hear a little squealing but not near as loud. It's definitely not the fan hitting metal, I just naturally assumed the worst case scenario.  :) I'm wondering if the re-manufactured pulley I replaced on the power steering pump could be allowing the belt to slip. The pulley was sandblasted and repainted. Perhaps painting the pulley created a slick surface that allows the belt to slip and the slipping will decrease with time as the paint wears off the grove.
Squealing was not going away after 2 camping trips so this morning I tighten the belt a little more and the noise went completely away. Turns out I didn't have enough tension on the belt. I haven't had to tighten a belt that didn't have a belt tensioner since my old mustang I had after high school. I was going by the tension on the two alternator belts when adjusting, but I'm assuming that the power steering belt has more resistance when it spins as it powers the power steering, water pump, fan and clutch fan (when engaged). I made sure not to over tighten and put too much pressure on the water pump and power steering bearings.
77 821 F 1 T Dodge 440

Clipper Joe

Hi Joe,
Do You Have An Extra Pulley Slot On
Crank Shaft?
I Have A Spare Double Pulley For Your Power Steering Pump.
There Is Also A Thread On Clipper Site, That Someone Left A Part # For One.
May Want To Check It Out.
Then That Will Stop Your Noise.

Take Care, If You Need More Info Send Me A PM.
Clipper Joe
1977 Dodge 440  Rear Kitchen
Note: Clipper Sold: (Miss It)
ACOC#3749
Now Own 2002 Class A Diesel Pusher

SierraJoe

Thanks Clipper Joe, I do have a double pulley on the crankshaft, but I do believe the noise is gone.  I finally got a wrench the correct length to fit into the adjusting slot in the bracket and put the correct tension on the belt. I had way too much play in it before.  Now when I rev the engine, the noise is completely gone. My mistake was trying to adjust tension without the correct tool. Thanks for the offer and if the noise comes back on my next trip, I will PM you about your spare pulley. You have been a big help on my ongoing Clipper project. Last week I picked up a grease gun, and lubed all the grease fittings. Looked like it had not been done in ages.  I am hoping that activity picks up on the board and to read more about current Clipper projects. This is a great site for Clipper owners and I hope the site keeps going. Thanks to all the members that keep it alive!
77 821 F 1 T Dodge 440

Clipper Joe

Hi Joe,
The Right Tension Is Important, Becarefull Not To Have It To Tight, Needs Some Movement.
Also The Double Pulley Helps Strain On Steering Pump.
Let Me Know, I Also Have A Complete Set Of Monroe Magnum Shocks,
Front & Rear. I No Longer Own A Clipper & Also Have Front End Moog Parts.
Let Me Know?

Clipper Joe

1977 Dodge 440  Rear Kitchen
Note: Clipper Sold: (Miss It)
ACOC#3749
Now Own 2002 Class A Diesel Pusher

SierraJoe

Follow up on the squealing, I just needed to tighten the belt tension a little more and the noise went completely away.
77 821 F 1 T Dodge 440

Toedtoes

Great to here!  And thanks for following up - it helps the next guy.
'75 American Clipper Dodge 360 821F; ACOC #3754