News:

The club is no longer active.  The forum will continue to be available for folks to find information and ask for help.
The tech forums are now open to all.  Other vintage Dodge-based class C owners welcome.

Main Menu

Car stereo

Started by Armhook, January 18, 2014, 01:05:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Armhook

Has anyone replaced their in-dash 8-track stereo with a modern type of stereo?  If so, how did you go about mounting it since all the new stereos has a slide brackets.
78 Clipper

Doug & Lynn

Toedtoes

I didn't want to pull out my original AM radio only (I liked the retro look), so I installed the new stereo into the glove box.  No having to worry about cutting the dash, finding a style that would fit, etc.  And, just close the glove box and the stereo disappears from view of thieves.
'75 American Clipper Dodge 360 821F; ACOC #3754

Sfine

Just a thought ...
Our stereo system is outdated as well and I've been looking into getting new tunes somehow.
If you have a smartphone, iPad, MP3 player...there are available cordless speakers that will run off of your device. You can play music you have saved, hear podcasts,or new music from any genre you choose with pandora or another online station without too many commercials.
These great little speakers are only $40 at costco and you can put them ANYWHERE ...outside on the picnic table, in the cab or coach, and best of all....they sound phenomenal for sound coming out of a 3x3 black box!!!
Versatile and easy. I also use this system in out boat.
Rock on fellow Clippers,!!!!
Steve
1979 440 Dodge 21' Bunk      #3766
     Murphys, California

Toedtoes

I had originally gone the "mp3 player with speakers" route, but found that the speakers just can't outperform the engine/road noise.  I really needed a good set of car speakers to be able to hear anything while driving highway speeds.  I do have my Zune hooked up into the stereo - stuck a small docking station on the doghouse for it and have it wired to the aux in the stereo.  I can easily reach the Zune and have a remote for the stereo to change volume, etc.

As my clipper came with a single center dash speaker, I had them install two door speakers and two box speakers.  The box speakers are set on the floor in back of the cab seats and can be moved if desired.

One word of warning:  the guy at the stereo shop REALLY liked my clipper.  He apparently spent the entire day hanging out in it, which I didn't mind, but when I got there to pick it up (it was there from 8 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.), he hadn't even hooked up the stereo.  He did a quick half-azzed job and just stuck the stereo wires in between a fuse and it's connector.  I had to bring it back for them to connect it properly (took less than 30 minutes to do, so the manager's argument that "it was a difficult install" didn't fly).
'75 American Clipper Dodge 360 821F; ACOC #3754

Clipper Joe

Hello Steve & Toedtoes,

That's a Good Idea To Put Sound system Of Of Reach Of The Rip Off Artists.

I Can't Wait To Meet You Both!
Hey How About XM Radio?

Joe
1977 Dodge 440  Rear Kitchen
Note: Clipper Sold: (Miss It)
ACOC#3749
Now Own 2002 Class A Diesel Pusher