News:

This website's purpose is to share information with clipper owners and others who are interested in clippers or have old Dodge B300 chassis motorhomes.  In an attempt to share as much information as possible to as many people as possible PLEASE first post your questions in one of the forum boards rather than sending a PM to the webmaster or another member. This will allow other members to find information that may help solve their problem.  By PMing your questions, you decrease forum activity and create more work for active members who end up repeating information to individuals looking for the same information.  Thank you.

Main Menu

Gas tank sending unit

Started by Maverick, September 29, 2013, 08:33:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Maverick

Hello fellow Clipper owners, I have been searching and reading posts here to try and find out if anyone has come up with an solution to the impossible to find sending unit for our Clippers? We have recently purchased a 77 American Clipper 21 Ft with rear kitchen and the 440 engine, it has a plastic or ABS gas tank. It hasn't been on the road in 5 yrs at least, did manage to drive it home with an electric fuel pump and a 5 gallon can of gas ( so not to pull the old gas from the tank up into the system) ran great stopped good everything works inside, but needs some cosmetics for sure.

So I pulled the gas tank out today and it was pretty nasty when I dumped it out, the sending unit is there, but pretty much trash, the end of the rectifier where the float goes was gone and the lines are all covered in rust. Has any one found a replacement from something else that might work? Or found some one to restore our originals?

Thanks for any input you may have, I have enjoyed looking at all the pics on here and reading all of your posts! :)  Maverick.

Maverick

Hello everyone, well, after a little more research I have located a place that specializes in refurbing these units, I will post some pics of the before and after of the unit. I have to send it away to NY ( We live in Florida) and it will take a week to a week and a half to do, the gentleman I spoke with on the phone had every confidence that they could redo or make a new one for me, price, between $75.00 and $175.00, which to have a working and original gas tank sending unit is well worth it to me. Here is the link in case someone else has to replace theirs, there is no replacement for mine so this is the only route to go for me.       Thanks, Maverick.                http://tristarrradiator.com/index.html

Maverick

I'm not sure if I am posting in the wrong section on here, I am a new member, If I am, someone please tell me. Thanks, Maverick.

Hank Jourdin

maverick,
      I have done both tanks, replaced sending units and gauges. Chrysler gauges run on a different ohm system than most easy to find units. It is easier to just replace the sending units  and gauges with universal 12 volt units. They run about 40.00 bucks for the sending units, fuel gauges 50 to 75 dollars . The old Chrysler gauges run through a voltage drop hooked to a printed circuit board.  Not compatible with universal 12 volt senders. You can get what you need from a company called United Speedometer. located in Riverside, Calif. Check them out on line, order what you need, have it sent to your door step !! It all changes out very easily. While your at it I would change all gauges to straight 12 volt and get rid of any future problems with the printed circuit board and voltage drop. Just dropped in to see how everyone is doing, I retired June 1, 2013 So Hello to one and all and Happy Motoring !!!    Hank Jourdin OUT!

Maverick

Hello Hank, thank you for the info, I will check them out today. Roger.