News:

This website's purpose is to share information with clipper owners and others who are interested in clippers or have old Dodge B300 chassis motorhomes.  In an attempt to share as much information as possible to as many people as possible PLEASE first post your questions in one of the forum boards rather than sending a PM to the webmaster or another member. This will allow other members to find information that may help solve their problem.  By PMing your questions, you decrease forum activity and create more work for active members who end up repeating information to individuals looking for the same information.  Thank you.

Main Menu

1978 Dodge AMCL, Can I start RV while plugged in?

Started by satorizero, September 27, 2013, 05:27:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

satorizero

Basic newbie question  :'(

I have both batteries connected of course, and the main 120v supply (called shore power?)
Can I start the RV up plugged in? I did before, but I wasnt sure if its 100% ok

Horst

Not a good idea.
I can't remember exactly why, but that's what an old time member told me many years ago.
Horst
ACOC  #2961
'75 Clipper 821F, Dodge 360........sold it in 2015.......now running a Ford F-250 towing a 2008 Layton trailer.

Toedtoes

I think the biggest reason, which sounds stupid but many have done it, is that it makes it that much easier to drive off without unplugging.    ::)

From what I've read, running the generator while plugged in is a bigger no-no than starting your engine while plugged in.  Something about them conflicting.  But since I don't have a generator, I haven't studied the idea.

With new RVs, it doesn't seem to be a big problem to start the engine while plugged in.  Do a quick search and you'll see that many need to engine battery active in order to adjust their jacks/stabilizers/levelers.

I've done it with mine a couple times when I was simply checking things out, but I don't do it on a regular basis.  I'm a bit anal about following the same procedure every time so I don't forget something.
'75 American Clipper Dodge 360 821F; ACOC #3754

Horst

I'm an electrical dunce.
But I seem to remember it had to do with over-loading some switch.
When your Clipper is running, you are charging your house batteries.
When you are plugged in, you are also charging your batteries.
Maybe it was something to do with that?
I don't know...long time ago.....
Horst
ACOC  #2961
'75 Clipper 821F, Dodge 360........sold it in 2015.......now running a Ford F-250 towing a 2008 Layton trailer.

satorizero

See that what I was wondering guys, if there might be a conflict...

Thanks for your replies so far.

I asked because its kind of a hassle for me to go unplug it everytime I do startups...

Toedtoes

If you have it plugged in a lot, you want to put in a cutoff switch to the house battery.  Because you are charging your battery whenever you plug in the shore power, you can hurt your battery it you have it plugged in for long periods.

Benefit:  If you put in the cutoff switch, then starting the vehicle while plugged in shouldn't hurt because you've basically disconnected the house battery.

satorizero

I like the idea of a cutoff switch and plan to implement one :)

But, the charge controller is there to prevent over charging, no?

Toedtoes

The charge controller should work for the most part.  But the cutoff switch makes it pretty much foolproof.