News:

The club is no longer active.  The forum will continue to be available for folks to find information and ask for help.
The tech forums are now open to all.  Other vintage Dodge-based class C owners welcome.

Main Menu

Leaking vents, doors & windows

Started by mollerus, August 20, 2002, 03:49:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mollerus

Leak problems seem to be a frequent problems for Clipper owners myself included.  I will join the chorus of those owners who have advised against using silicone as a sealant on RV's, especially as all too frequently used as a bead of sealant on the edge of a window, vent etc. I think manufactures use it because it is cheap and usually will last as long as their warranty.  However silicone does not stick well to fiberglass, in particular if it is waxed, dirty, or sun struck when applied .  Our rigs flex and gyrate with the motions of the road and this and UV light tends to hasten the separation of the silicone from the fiberglass and plastic parts.  I strongly suggest that a far more permanent solution for leaks involves (1) removing the leaking item ( vent, hatch etc.) and scraping away all vestiges of silicone, (2) using 3-M adhesive remover which  does help remove the old silicone from all surfaces, (3)  lightly sanding the mating surfaces with 220 wet/dry sandpaper, (4) doing a final wipe down of all mating surfaces with acetone,  (5) using a marine bedding compound applied to the entire mating surfaces and the final few threads of the mounting screws.  I  use 3-M 4200 sealant which can be found in all marine stores and most larger hardware stores.  It is more expensive than the best silicone but well worth it. It remains flexible forever and thus tolerates the motion of our rigs. It is certifies for continual underwater use on boats. No one uses silicone under the water line on boats, as it is a sure path to a disaster.  Do not use 3-M 5200 as it hardens so strong that you will never get the joint apart again without breaking the plastic parts.  I've used this on my boats for 12-15 years and my Clipper for the past 1 ½ yrs and I've never had to fix the same leak twice and I don't expect to in the future.