News:

This website's purpose is to share information with clipper owners and others who are interested in clippers or have old Dodge B300 chassis motorhomes.  In an attempt to share as much information as possible to as many people as possible PLEASE first post your questions in one of the forum boards rather than sending a PM to the webmaster or another member. This will allow other members to find information that may help solve their problem.  By PMing your questions, you decrease forum activity and create more work for active members who end up repeating information to individuals looking for the same information.  Thank you.

Main Menu

Paint stipe schemes

Started by Conrad, August 15, 2005, 07:11:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Conrad

Is there any rhyme or reason to the paint strip schemes?  I have seen blue, teal, and green along with my standard brown and orange.  I saw a few clippers on the road last week and each had a different color stripe.

Andy Illes

Ya suppose Irv Perch was sending "The Mad Stapler" out for paint too?

susan-y

Conrad, I finally saw what you were talking about.  In Florence,OR behind the CFN station I saw a chevy Clipper with a blue stripe.  It matches the blue in the American Clipper sticker perfectly and it was hard to tell if it had been repainted. The poor clipper looks like it has had a rough life.  When I came back through Florence, it wasn't there. Guess the owner didn't like me crawling all over/under it  :roll:   Bad habit of mine.  Sue

tomfridley

my 1977 clipper has the typical wide brown stripe also, but mine has an accent stripe in a mustard yellow color.
i have seen many in the orange accent as you all have. any other reports in yellow been seen?

Rodney

Here are the stripe on my 1978 Dodge clipper looks to be OEM.
dose anyone have a paint code for them?

I need to repaint them one of these days.
Rodney

Andy Illes

Only thing I can help with is from an old post.... the body color was said to be very close to orig, a tad lighter.... obviously, rattle-cans... Krylon 1540 Ivory for the body.... Krylon 2501 Leather, for the brown stripe.  

Never did find anything about the orange stripe, apparently a tougher match.   Mine's just a solid orange, yours looks two-tone.

Question for you Rodney... have you EVER found a decent masking tape that doesn't bleed?  AND can be taken off when you're done?  I've tried regular tan masking tape, the blue stuff, that gummed masking paper... got bleed with all of 'em.  Only stuff i ever found that DID work was ordinary black-vinyl electrical tape.... gets expensive though.  Am I just not doing it right?

Jimbilly

Andy, you need to go to a autobody-paint supply store.  You can get masking tape that is very flexible and doesn't bleed through along the edges.  Quit wasting your time using regular masking tape.  Also, the Krylon color  (1540?) doesn't really match the original color.  It's way too light and gets even lighter over time.  What we are going to do is take the Clip down to a the auto body supply store and have them match the color and mix up some.

Rodney

Thanks Andy I plan  on matching witn urathane single stage paint not krylon for me :)
you need to be using fine line masking tape designed for laying out stripes flames ect. when applying it give it just a little stretch not to much. just enough to make a nice streight line. then be sure to press it down well before painting. I like to remove the tape when the paint is still wet {let it dry some}so it will not peal the paint when removing but take care and pull back at a sharp angle so it will cut the edge of paint when pulling. when painting stripes or anyting for that matter the surface needs to be CLEAN before you start sanding or you will push what ever is on the surface of the paint in to the tooth of the old paint and cause an adheason problem. use wax and grease remover first then follow with and alcohol base cleaner next
windex will do for this we use dx1005 ppg prep. then sand or mask an sand.

Andy Illes

Thanks Jim, Rodney.  Yeah, whoever posted those colors did say the body color was lighter, but he said it was so close only he could see it.  Guess not, huh?  The stuff I used on my back PVC bumper (and also mirror support jobbies) is the same exact shade, but a little darker.... definitely noticable if you try it on the body anywhere.  Cheapest stuff Home Depot has too.... doesn't even have a color name on it... "Home"-something brand.   Held up fine and still full gloss so far, at least.

Good tips about tape, thanks guys.  When I painted my ceilings, spent nearly a full day making to be SURE I got the masking perfect on everything.... then the crap bled anyway.  Yoiks!!  Hadda spend several more days carefully scraping it off the black molding things..... and it's STILL not perfect....  find spots alla time.... sigh.

When I sand-blasted and painted my wheels when I first got Fred, I masked the tires, lug nuts and hubs with electrical tape, and that seemed to work fine... no bleed.  New talent I have to master, huh?  Thanks again for the tips guys.

Rodney

Like Jim said you should proabably have to get the tape at a paint supply store. the stripping take dose resemble electric tape in its plasticy use.
see ya around
Rodney